Sketchbook: tracking progress....updated 15th November

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tracking progress....updated 15th November

*moved from FF*
    I'm a teacher by trade but being married to an artist I'm exposed to much art and having watched my husband work away endlessly on his computer (especially for the recent thunderdomes), decided it was about time I learned to draw. That journey started in August 2004. Recently I have been drawn into the idea of digital art and was bought my own little wacom about 2 weeks ago and now I'm hooked !
    This is my first real stab at a painting.
    Objective: to get my head round the basics of PS.

With this piece, I've now come to the point where I'm afraid to do any more incase I ruin what I have. I've learned a whole ton of stuff in the process of doing this and hoepfully can apply what I've learned to my next piece.
    This is the reference
    tracking progress....updated 15th November and this is my painting.tracking progress....updated 15th November

Last edited by Madoliane; November 15th, 2004 at 09:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP 2nd painting

Objective: to have sharper lines
    the ref tracking progress....updated 15th November and the WIP tracking progress....updated 15th November

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    show us traditional art and for painting i would recomend to take about 50$ and buy a basic traditional media suply to get the feeling of painting and belive me you will have much more fun even if you wont be making any "serious" art but just messing with brushes and paint gives a good feeling and more confidence , for crits on those 2 paintings i would say you going good if you want real deap crits on the mistakes etc just say , will be glad to help you out .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Eew.
    I already own an extensive traditional media supply and have played with paint and other stuff for a couple of years but in a very abstract form because I didnt know how to draw or represent anything in a life like way. At school I didnt take art as an option so I havent had any kind of 'teaching' for 22 years but having 'played' for long enough and watching others learn, decided it might not actually be too late for me to learn how to draw.
    I will in future post my traditionl media stuff too as I'm sure I'll find it useful to see all developments beside each other.
    As I get more confident I may well take you up on more in-depth crits.
    Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm done for tonight...I'm getting tired now from staring at this screen all day plus I need to go do the work I'm paid to do before I fall asleep !
    Tomorrow night I have life drawing class but hopefully I'll be able to find time throughout the week for this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress for just one day! I can't think of anything more to say other than keep it up!

*grin*

daily sketchbook

You need to do more anatomy...and check your values....wait...did I just say that?
    [lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went to my 2nd ever life drawing class last night.
    I hate it !
    Ok I hate it because it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Its more like a portrait class than a life class. It was advertised as life, suitable for beginners but basically its a small class of people who know each other and are all painting in oil.Its the same girl (who moves a lot) for a 2 hour pose. Last time was the same and next week too !
    Quite daunting for the beginner. Every time I ask the tutor something he goes into some long speel and doesnt really explain anything.The only thing I can liken it to is taking someone to a maths class and sitting them down to quadratic equations without any help.
    I may not know a lot about drawing but I sure as hell know a lot about teaching and learning ...and he sucks !
    Anyway, its bought and paid for now so I'd best make the most of it..eh no !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dl books from Loomis and do some study and after go to your drawing class and you'll see progress imidiatly... and that alot of "art" teachers just bs all the time is normal ....yesterday i show my hand studies to my teacher life drawing and ask himù what he think of it .... his answer is : you are going to fast .. we will see anatomy only next month ..... that was the smartest thing he could say to me .....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just another progress post for my own tracking really

I'll scan and post my sketchbook when I have the energy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Welcome to the fun world of art addiction, Madoliane!

Great progress on the painting of the village boy. I see you making good steps in the right direction. I'm pretty new to the whole PS painting thing too, and it's all about experimenting and seeing what tools do what.

That's terrific you have a chance to take some life drawing classes. You will find you get better and better with each drawing especially if you are drawing from life. And it helps to take a look at a lot of the sketchthreads here to see how other people approach their processes. One that is really good for beginners is MindCandyMan's. You really see his perseverance and process of teaching himself different aspects of painting. It's long, so bring a lunch.

Anyways, just wanted to say BRAVO for taking the leap into the art world. It's challenging and very rewarding. Just remember to have fun!

I look forward to watching you grow and learn...

Cheers!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jade Dragon for the lovely and encouraging comment. With so much to learn it can all get a bit overwhelming at times but every now and then even I can notice a little progress.
    Anyway thanks for dropping by.

After getting achey eyes from working on my village boy PS piece I thought it might be an interesting exercise to do a self portrait and compare it with the one I did in August when I first decided I wasnt quite too old to learn how to draw.
    On my first draft, there were so many flaws that I just wanted to bin it, however I decided to correct what I could and what I couldnt I'd chalk up as something to watch out for on the next one. I could have done a lot more but its getting late, its Saturday night and there's a movie to watch !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This week past week has been write-off as far as drawing is concerned...work has been a bitch and there just arent enough hours in the day !!...then this weekend went horribly wrong when some asshole went into my new car ! Ok so it was only a 10 inch dent in the passanger side...and its insured but man !!!!! the car's only 2 months old damnit !
    Anyway....no work on the village boy but here's my latest self portrait. Funny how as soon as you scan something all the faults become glaringly obvious. Oh well it's better than last weeks at least !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to say anything.....ok...I am...I think this is a fantastic leap in the right direction. Considering you've not drawn all week also...I think this is a great piece of work.

I am so impressed with the improvement!

Just wow!

Now...I really should draw something myself...

daily sketchbook

You need to do more anatomy...and check your values....wait...did I just say that?
    [lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you've got a sketchbook, welcome to the boards Madoliane ! I agree with Matt, big progress in such a short amount of time. Keep drawing and Painting.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bojee....I will endeavour to draw and paint as much as I can. This working malarkie gets in the way though sometimes.
    Thanks for dropping by....+ve reinforcement works every time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started off quite pleased with this one yesterday but tonight I ended up rushing, through a mixture of tiredness and stubbornness to be drawing.....*shrug* no worries, it's all chalked up as practise. I don't know how everyone manages to get in so much drawing and real work.....I find it an almost impossible task.

I'm not quite sure who this person is that appears on my paper as I draw...she has some sort of resemblance to me but it's limited !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up girl, it'll pay off. When your not drawing you might look at the individual features of the face on other people, make mental notes on how things are put together, lots of different shaped eyes, ears, noses, mouths, and hair for you to try.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bojee.
    I want to draw Matt next (if I can get him to sit still long enough for me) since I spend many hours looking at his face in detail in comparison to the actual time I spend looking at mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, somehow I missed that these were self portraits, drawing straight on is one of the harder views of the face, try setting up 2 mirrors to get a different view. Heh, matt should definitely pose for you, you guys can trade off with each other. Try a profile, probably the easiest view cause you can see the silhouette better.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It started off from reference then I decided I was too tired to focus too much but wanted to draw regradless, so I just played around. Sometimes its good to just scribble !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by Jens and thanks for the advice.
    I've sat and drawn eyes from books but never without looking at the paper, I'll try that. As you can imagine I am overwhelmed with all the things I need to learn. I will add it to my list of exercises to do.
    Again, thanks for your time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madoliane- Need some more work, your fans are waiting. Besides, a sketch a day keeps the doctor away.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This made me laugh through sleepy eyes this morning.
    I do try to sketch every day and last night I did but sometimes they never make it as far as the scanner.
    I will make more effort in future.

Matt's just gone through my sketch book saying 'and you should have posted that, and that, and that!"....LOL !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone knows where I can get more photos like this, It'd be greatly appreciated.
    tracking progress....updated 15th November tracking progress....updated 15th November
    (upped the contrast in PS because the scan came out poorly.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your head , your hand (left or right) and your eyes are starting to be one. Keep drawing.

Freelancer Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look in the reference section of this site, where there are literally hundreds of sites listed for every possible type of reference-picture. my favourite is www.domai.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, coool, that's what I'm talking about.Keep them coming.

I like this book

This one's kinda cool too.

Hey do you and Matt ever do the london sketch group? The Seattle equivalent has been a big motivator to get more work done.

Last edited by Bojee; October 16th, 2004 at 12:20 PM.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From ref...my elder daughter !
    tracking progress....updated 15th November tracking progress....updated 15th November

Bojee thanks for the book references. I'll put them on my Christmas list !
    Neither of have made the London sketch group just through sheer lack of co-ordinating children and busy lives around it all.

ODT thanks for the pointer for the photo ref. I have saved a load of images , now I have no excuse !

Pichuera thanks for dropping by and the words of encouragement.

Last edited by Madoliane; October 16th, 2004 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The trouble with having more than one child is, if you draw a picture of one, you have to draw a picture of the other !
    I found this one harder than the last and it was getting late.....she's the most photogenic kid I know yet I couldnt find a decent pic of her anywhere today !....sods law.

Ok that's it for tonight !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried drawing with a 2h since I find it very difficult to make faint lines with a 2b...the trouble I found this time though was working into it. Anyway this is something I was working on but now I have to go make dinner then work on the stuff I'm paid to do !

Oh and it's my elder daughter ...again !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.