How Many of you are idea thieving artists?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How Many of you are idea thieving artists?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How Many of you are idea thieving artists?

i wish i was in a capacity to spell, but i figure you get the gist of my topic.

maybe not...but i guess that if i post my ideas they will be stolen. the same with school, teachers are f.u.c.k.i.n.g. idea thieves. they may all die, for what i am concerned .

Last edited by LyricalPharaoh; September 25th, 2004 at 02:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when someone shows some kind of influence of mr in their work I don't get bent ot of shape infact...they must've though highly of my work to be inspired by it. Unless it it concerning getting a job or entering a contest i wouldn't post idea...or if i do i will be detailed enough to get help yet vague enough where someone wouldn't be able to 'copy' the idea and get it doen faster then me...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Should be in Lounge?

When I was young, like under 20, I thought my ideas was awesome. When I look at them now, they're not much to hang in the x-mas tree... In fact, I feel a little ashamed how naive and egoistical I was thinking my ideas were the best in the world when they were infact mediocre at best. There's probably a million others who had very similar or the same ideas too.

Also, ideas are always awesome in your head, but you have to put it down on paper, and it's the stuff on paper that other people see and judge by.

As for idea theiving in art, it's both good and bad. Bad because you steal credit from the original artist, good for art in general, because building on other people's ideas is how culture and technology progress.

There's different degrees of stealing though. I think it's okay to steal knobs and minor details, then reshape them slightly (something you have to do to fit them with your design anyways, and stuff tend to morph over time). Examples of knobs is... well, knobs on shoulderpads, an X on a beveled plate, joints, some neat camera lens etc...

The only designs that are truly yours are those you stumble upon, ie. a happy accident. You draw something and it looks like something else, and you think, hey, that's kinda cool.
    The rest of the designs, shapes and knobs we use are from nature or other artists.

It's not okay to steal someone else's combination of knobs and shapes IMO.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to mention this, Pharaoh, but if you're claiming that the art you've linked to is your original work, you are sitting in the same queue for the third level in Hell (thieving artists and people who flick their cigarette butts in the street) that the rest of us are in. You see, several thousand years ago the people who roamed about the Nile Valley did stuff incredibly similar to this. They used different media (this was pre-Intel 286 days when drawing on computers was much slower), but the ideas are basically the same.

I mention this not to show my cleverness (which is actually too small to display), but rather to illustrate that the old saying, "there's nothing new under the sun" has a basis in reality. While not universal (few things are), it's a solid premise. There are about eight guys in the world working on completely original stuff. Six of them are considered insane. One of the other two works exclusively with feces and doesn't garner a large crowd. It is from this one guy that every new idea comes. There have obviously been a number of original thinkers in art, but right now we only have this one (later, four of the insane ones will be called geniuses). People take the original ideas and put them in new shapes. Suddenly, more things look original. I didn't know you could arrange Lincoln Logs into a pyramid! Hey, I’ve pulled my sock over my head and now it’s a hat!

There are also two kinds of artists: those who love art and those who love art as a way of gathering attention. If you sit in miserly frustration that every crumb of brilliance which falls from your Talent Cornucopia will be snatched up and transformed into golden fame by some Unworthy (and live in America), you can sue, so be cheered and make art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...
    "The Highest form of Flattery is..." uh, what was it? Cheese maybe?
    Well, no. Cheese is not Atkins-Friendly!
    Hmm.. what was I talking about?

Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you where talking about 7 year olds in transparant dresses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like a whinney baby to me! Draw something thats incredible and dont worry about it, art is supposed to be seen. and fuck em if they try to steal it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with the saying "theres nothing new under the sun".
    Infact our ideas are "only" the combination of dozends of different ideas which arent ours...theres influence everywhere...

BUT if you just redraw stuff from others and want to make money of it or get some good reputation than you are nothing more than a damn thief....

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originality is the Art of Hiding Ones Source.

Cause the rest of us are pretty damn sure you didn't think of it first anyway.

~S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nevertheless, art is always inspired.
    Many ideas are copied to make new things.
    I do take some little bits of ideas from other people's art and concept ideas to mix it with my own ideas and create something interesting.

Right now, I'm taking some ideas of the marine armor from Doom3 and todays SWAT units.
    Yeah...so, i do this often.
    Sometimes i feel much better when i draw something from my own imagination.

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a strong feeling you think you are better than you are. I dont hear Craig mullins or Ryan church or Andrew jones whining about this shit. Or anyone else for that matter.

What the hell is the point of having an idea if you are to selfish or protective to share it with anyone?

I love your philosophy about teachers:they can all die. Great, so then everyone can be ignorant. Do you have anything to contribute to conceptart.org, because that is what this place is about; a community to help artists grow.

BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol @ dogfood's comment. I'd like to add that, oftentimes, an idea only seems original and unique only because its creator is just too ignorant. If he looks around the world more, he'll probably find tons of existing stuff that is similar to his "original" idea. Ignorance breeds arrogance, that's what the wise men say.

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont feel bad i had this awesome idea and even drew it out. then someone pointed out the picture i drew was the same as some british novel about medieval animals that wage wars with each other(dont ask). i mean even the same down to the compistion and i never even seen this book before. that stunk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one answer:

This is an almost total rip off of a photo - I can't even credit the photo, since I got it off the web somewhere and wasn't paying attention. I suck and I'm going to hell.

On the other hand:

Is it a stealing ideas when a musican plays scales?

Rip off if it teaches you something. But admit it when you do.

~m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your best work is always ahead of you, who cares?
    boo hoo money boo hoo. I hate money. It makes people into whiny-ass babies.

Is your idea machine broken? You can't steal creativity, only ideas. Come up with the new best thing I say!

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    be happy and encouraged when you create an idea yourself, but dont be upset if your not the first to do so.

observe the difference between looking at an artwork, and then copying it, as oppose dto doing an artwork, and then afterwards coming across an artwork thats exactly the same

in the latter case you can be proud of your achievement, because if you cant be proud of that, and its impossible to create something that has not been done before somewhere else, then you will never be proud of your own work.

If u want something with a 99% guarantee it aint been done before, do a self portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseFrAName
    If your best work is always ahead of you, who cares?
    boo hoo money boo hoo. I hate money. It makes people into whiny-ass babies.
    The hell? It also pays my freakin' mortgage! It's whiney-assed people who can't GET money that turn into whiney-assed babies. Or something.

Ripping off ideas. That's ripe. I saw Star Wars when it came out *originally*. It was one of the most "original" films ever produced. People loved it the world over. They still do lo these many years later. It's literally a multi-billion dollar enterprise (da bastahd).

But, for all of it's originality, it was based almost entirely on Joseph Cambell's Power of Myth books, Old Westerns and just about everything else Lucas could get his hands on. The good guy wore white, the bad guy wore black, you had wizards and warriors and swashbucklers and princess'es in distress and an Ultimate Power In the Universe and Good vs. Evil.

So, Lucas pretty well ripped everyone, including Metropolis for C3PO, and then did a remix.

Which is what we all do with art. It's not discovering new ingredients that makes you a great cook. It's how well we cook with 'em.

So clean your kitchen, read a cook book and fix a fucking banquet.

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originality is the Art of Hiding Ones Source.

Cause the rest of us are pretty damn sure you didn't think of it first anyway.

~S
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

and another

Talent borrows, genius steals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes i feel much better when i draw something from my own imagination.
    Imagination ... yes. Humans are manipulators of matter because matter cannot be created or destroyed. Nothing at all is original. Everything was here before us and we take it and play with it and make combinations out of it but we are not creating anything new. All the knowledge, everything we discover was already there before us (science, math, music, art, continents). If one was not born and not exposed to this world and made something out of nothing then THAT would be the ultimate original ... and you would be God. What makes things original is people's take on the same thing from another perspective, another point of view. To get an original perspective one must seclude oneself from any influence and see whats inside. That's why all the cultures are so different. Many years ago we were all separated and contact was rare and difficult so we all developed differently, thus sharing of information might actually be detrimental to originality. However sharing of informations is beneficial to creativity because you can see how many more options there are.

Here is an example: Quantum Theory was developed by many young fresh minds that weren't exposed to the old Newtonian Physics for long as opposed to old school physicists that were educated in the Newtonian Physics and were already too set in their ways to see the world any different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hell? It also pays my freakin' mortgage! It's whiney-assed people who can't GET money that turn into whiney-assed babies. Or something.
    People who can't GET money think everything hinges on their LAST idea rather than their NEXT one.
    Creative people have already thought of something better...so they're worth keeping around the office anyways.

...besides...people usually rip things off after they've been profited from.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everyone

It would be interesting to take some isolated... jungle people, give them a computer with no games, then teach them coding and see what kinda stuff they come up with.

Counter Tribes?

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prom, basicaly you just described the ppl that came up with teletubies.

BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always look back after the hard work spent on the toilet. It's like.. an instinct and i have to do it.

..a fatal outcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPalida
    Talent borrows, genius steals.
    Yeah, like muggsy bogues

Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its almost completley impossible to have an idea that no one ever had and even if you do who to say if its any good. the beauty of art is not the idea but the expression of the idea...and so on...just stop caring about people stealing your idea it was never yours to begin with...I have more words of wisdom such as this but I hate typing...gotta go "steal" some more ideas!

bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    It is from this one guy that every new idea comes. There have obviously been a number of original thinkers in art, but right now we only have this one

His name is Charlie Kaufman.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    His name is Charlie Kaufman.
    not Jezus?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, like muggsy bogues
    ROFL now thats genius!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.