Thanks

Trying to learn stuff... Caio's Sketchbook

So... i'm trying to learn how to draw, but i just can't see my improvemente (if there's any)... so i'm starting this thread to show you guys some of my stuff and hopefully get feedback and really improve! I plan on doing this professionaly and i know that there's a long (very long) road to go.
    This will have daily updates!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by caiowcxs; December 4th, 2015 at 09:45 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some 30 second gesture drawings and chest muscle studies
    Last edited by caiowcxs; March 6th, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Muscle studies and 30s gesture drawings. Had a lot of fun with both even though i kinda dislike the gestures.

Thanks
    Couldn't post yesterday so here it is! The firs gestures (30s) and muscle studies are from yesterday, the other gestures (60s) are from today... i'm trying to find out a good technique to use. Really dislike the arm studies though.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  31.6 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  31.8 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  31.3 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  41.2 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  32.8 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  35.4 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  32.9 KBName:  8.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  33.7 KBName:  9.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  63.4 KBName:  10.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  41.0 KBName:  11047068_802558776447635_1411842575_n.jpg
Size:  34.2 KBName:  11.jpg
Size:  35.7 KBName:  12.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  39.5 KBName:  13.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  41.7 KBName:  14.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  49.4 KBName:  15.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  46.7 KBName:  16.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  40.8 KBName:  17.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  43.6 KBName:  18.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  40.4 KBName:  19.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  42.2 KBName:  20.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  40.9 KB

Thanks
    Tried doing some women anatomy studies but it sucked... so i drew some perspective to try and improve. I'm not really liking my lines /:

Thanks
    Just something quick i did, wanted to start using my tablet and try to pass a 3D round feel, as well as seeing how light works.Name:  Apple.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  94.4 KB

Thanks
    Hi it's me I don't know if you have seen my reply on my sketchbook but as I said, don't let yourself go down, just do whatever you consider funny, I don't know if I'm the right guy to say this, I'm not even good at art, but I think I passed through where you are like a year ago and the story of my first year at drawing may help you heheh (I felt I also needed someone to tell me what he/she actually did to learn, that's why I came here heheh), at this time you know very few things about anatomy and all this things so my best ally has been copying, all my life, this helps a lot, take good references and focus on understanding everything you can about form, light... also a big part of my learning has been changing my way of thinking about drawing and looking at things, hours and hours of youtube concept artists speaking about art, understanding how they think, learning how they do things, my mind suddenly started thinking about how things were shaded around me in a few weeks without I even noticed, even how atmosphere perspective gets working in the real life and all this things you wouldn't pay attention to if you were not going to draw them, and now I feel like I'm not drawing lines, but instead I'm sculpting 3D forms on a paper.

I see you're doing a lot of 30 secs drawings, I think that's great, but first you should have the basic proportions down, one thing I noticed the other day for example when I looked at my Dragon Ball z copied drawings from last year was that they all had short legs and little feet, there's so much to learn before drawing the human figure that I still don't even feel comfortable now drawing it, just don't get overwhelmed, use reference and keep trying, it will seem to you that you don't progress, and it's hard, but your mind starts fixing mistakes with repetition and when you compare your first to the 50th you will be proud of your improvement

If you need something or you just wanna talk about it send me a message or something
    Don't go for it, just go and enjoy your way, it will come

MY SKETCHBOOK
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?&t=279040

ART CRITIQUE THREAD
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...p-)?highlight=

Thanks
    Oh and I maybe shouldn't say this but.. I have never done an anatomy study of a human like some of yours XD, drawing the human figure is a thing that came mostly for trial and fail, maybe one day I should do some just to make more accurate figures heheh

MY SKETCHBOOK

ART CRITIQUE THREAD

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the repply! It made me very helpful. I think the start is the hardest part, and if we can get through it, stuff will get better. I think i really need to start using more reference, i saw it as a bad thing but now i'm starting to understand (after listening to many artists saying so) that it's very important for a good drawing, even if it's from imagination. This 3D feell... i still find it very hard to put it on my drawings, they look and feel very flat and this is something that i'm trying to improve with perspective studies and implementation on them.
    As far as anatomy/proportions, its something that i have a lot of trouble if i dont draw guide lines (i wasnt with all those gesture drawings), now the only problem is doing it in 30 secs. I like doing studies and this kinds of stuff because it gives me a lot of knowledge about the shapes and sizes, as well as being fun (even though i get mad when they come out shitty).
    Your post made me want to desing mech stuff! (cars, ships and even houses!). I want to do it and will try some on this weekend.
    Thanks again! It's very good to know that i have someone to talk to and its the same to you, if you ever need something or someone to talk about something, message me!

Thanks
    Some sketches i did of my teachers and some random dude. Also did some perspective stuffName:  2015-03-12 21.20.59.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  754.5 KBName:  2015-03-12 21.21.09.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  706.6 KB

Thanks
    Watched some Proko videos and decided to use the pencil the same way, its kinda hard but i think it'll be worth it. Also tried doing a weekly challenge from cubebrush, a mech pilot. As you can see, my creativity isn't greato today :v
    Name:  11016570_806136552756524_1514022539_n.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  39.3 KBName:  10921932_806136539423192_1169376304_n.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  64.7 KB

Thanks
    Hay that's good to see you being creative anatomy and all this things are important, but it's also a good exercise to explore your design ideas sometimes
    I also take part in cubebrush monthly challenges, I think I'll submit my gunner as some kind of villian or superhero (with some retouching to make him look like it... you know hehe)

Keep it up! I hope the youtube videos were useful

MY SKETCHBOOK

ART CRITIQUE THREAD

Thanks
    Thanks jimmixgs, they really helped! i still have lots of things to learn about anatomy and proportions and fundamentals in general...

Today was a very hard day, school took all my time but I did some weight studies from loomis book. I'm thinking about actually reading the whole book (wow!) hahahah. Also tried more perspective but it didnt work very well...

Name:  2015-03-16 20.54.03.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  1.15 MBName:  2015-03-16 20.54.14.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  1.14 MB

Thanks
    I was going to mention that you should watch proko's videos. Keep going with them, and you'll improve in no time

Thanks
    Hey! I see that you are working hard at figures and gesture drawing, and a lot of Loomis stuff, that's great! If I were to give some pointers I would say that your line work is a bit uncertain, plan your marks before setting them down and try to follow through all the way from A to B, I believe you're sketches would profit much with confident marks! That's all for now, I'm off to sketching, and thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!

Thanks
    sketchfarts:his videos are awesome! I'm trying to focus more on loomis righ now but Proko's gesture guides helped me quite a bit

Gridur: Yeah, i'm really tring to understand the human figure and i just love loomis! Since you gave me this suggestion i'm trying to do more "confident" (?) lines. Thanks for the feedback!

Couldn't post yesterday but i did some stuff that i think is worth showing. Also have something that i just did, a tribute to my favorite manga (Naruto) and my favorite character (sasuke). I have a very long love story with this particular manga, i've been collecting it for six years so... kinda like it. Didn't like the way his clothing came out... But it's the first time that i really try to draw clothes so...
    In those studies i tried to find the gravity center of the poses, I think it's right but... The first ones drew with reference from the book, that's why they are better.
    Name:  2015-03-18 20.02.07.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  1.09 MBName:  2015-03-18 20.03.18.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.09 MBName:  2015-03-18 20.03.04.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.10 MBName:  2015-03-18 20.02.43.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.05 MB
    Everything about this one is bad so... i'm not even gonna say more...
    Name:  2015-03-18 21.25.01.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  1.20 MB

Thanks
    caiowcxs: The confidence really shows in the new set of loomis pose figures! Great work, it's great to test out several techniques for gesture drawing, and time restraint can be very healthy to get the right flow and action suggestion! So don't be afraid to seek inspiration from several artists and instruction videos! Keep it up! Cheerz!

Thanks
    Your last batch of stick figures shows clear improvement, they're much more lively than the previous ones. There are some good sites where you can find quality references for gestures and anatomy: pixelovely, Croquis Cafe, faestock, SenshiStock, and many more. Regarding perspective, for a start I'd recommend "Perspective for comic book artists" by David Chelsea and "Perspective made easy" by Ernest Norling. Don't try to hard to get clean lines now, it's not that important when you begin. The most important is learning to see and get your proportions right, then shading, thus I'd strongly recommend you to start drawing from life whatever comes before your eyes. The flow will come with practice and time. Don't get discouraged and draw everyday, keep it up and enjoy

Thanks
    Long time no see, but here i am with lots of new things! Joined drawing classes, so here are some exercises!

Alex DL: Thank you very much, Alex! I'm still trying to figure out a good way to draw them sticks and will definitely be checking those sites! I actually have "Perspective made easy", just need to start studying it.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  53.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  59.2 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  35.6 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  76.8 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  52.5 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  120.0 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  25.2 KBName:  8.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  28.0 KBName:  9.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  32.2 KBName:  10.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  17.7 KBName:  11.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  22.9 KB

Thanks
    Hey guys, here i am with more gesture drawings, however i don't fell like they improved at all... there is something missing, but i don't know what! Also i'm starting to draw every day, i start with do lines, boxes, spheres and cilinders before i do anything else, then i do (at least) 30 mins of gesture drawing at pixellovely.
    warm ups
    Name:  warm ups.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  610.2 KB
    First/second day of gestures
    Name:  class format gesture.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  629.1 KB
    60s
    Name:  60s.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  619.8 KB

Thanks
    hey man I think what you should be focusing on is drawing from observation to get some hand eye cordination and a feel for proportion along with your construction and perspective.
    this guy has a great short tutorial which you can pay what you want or get for free.

http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/

proko is great for gesture and construction but in the begining I think doing a lot of copying and measuring based drawing is important.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    hey man I think what you should be focusing on is drawing from observation to get some hand eye cordination and a feel for proportion along with your construction and perspective.
    this guy has a great short tutorial which you can pay what you want or get for free.

http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/

proko is great for gesture and construction but in the begining I think doing a lot of copying and measuring based drawing is important.
    Thanks for the feedback! I downloaded the files and drew from reference without thinking about alignment, then i re-drew it, but with alignment in mind (the Before and After).
    I also started drawing lines and circles for my warmups, as well as started to study head proportions, tough i'm still not getting it right, for some reason... Both portraits are bad, but i will be able to draw something decent! I promisse! Also drew a random alien dude during class, my anatomy and figure drawing still needs a lot of improvment.
    Day 1
    Name:  6-12 FINAL.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  98.0 KB
    Day 2
    Name:  7-12 FINAL.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  388.9 KB

Thanks
    If you are interested I have an interesting exercise for you.

You will need some tracing paper. The Next time you do a study from reference first do it like you normally would, but on tracing paper -- measure it -- and draw it as best as you can... then on the same paper, right beside what you did, mindfully trace your reference image ONLY using straight lines (or virtually near straight as you might need to cheat once in a while). This will start to give you a sense for the angles of the body as a simplified idea. Once you are finished carefully tracing redraw the image again using the same method as you did the first time, but now you have rehearsed what the angles feel like. Then compare all three, I daresay you will see improvement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pindurski View Post
    If you are interested I have an interesting exercise for you.

You will need some tracing paper. The Next time you do a study from reference first do it like you normally would, but on tracing paper -- measure it -- and draw it as best as you can... then on the same paper, right beside what you did, mindfully trace your reference image ONLY using straight lines (or virtually near straight as you might need to cheat once in a while). This will start to give you a sense for the angles of the body as a simplified idea. Once you are finished carefully tracing redraw the image again using the same method as you did the first time, but now you have rehearsed what the angles feel like. Then compare all three, I daresay you will see improvement.
    I will definitely give it a try, and as soon as do i will post the results here! Good thing i bought some tracing paper!

Thanks
    Faces, faces and more faces... And some digital stuff too (that was very fun to do!)
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  gestures 14.12.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  366.0 KB