Thread: Self Portrait

Thanks

Self Portrait

Self Portrait three hours. For my study I learned how to accentuate certain areas with more texture and contrast and the areas that I want to stand out. Within the study I also was taking the time to focus on rendering the hair such as the beard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow! Very cool! I can definitely see you using detail to accentuate parts of the piece. The hair came across really well, too. I might suggest taking a few looks at this from different angles. Your left eye and right eye don't quite match up, imo. Great stuff, though! Best of luck!

Thanks
    The hair does look pretty damn sweet. For focusing on the hair/beard, the detail focus for the places of emphasis look just as great! I like the lost soft edges on the part of the face away from emphasis as well, I would just think that that area looking a biiit darker could be a something to add to it? That half not directly lit by the light looks almost too close to the overall value for the half that is lit. Could just be bounce light too I'm not sure. Amazing job~

Thanks
    Indeed nice work on hair rendering. The facial structure and proportions all look generally good from here also. However your right (left on here) eye looks off. Perhaps that's how it is in RL, but it looks out of place. Also the shadow side of the face seems like it could be darker compared to how you have the hair blocked in so dark there also.
    Nice work!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Great job so far.

1. the edge along the far side of the face is too even. There is a range of sharps to softs that can be used to tell the story of where that edge falls in space, to even things like which muscles of the face are getting more tension, even if subtle. edge and form detail where muscle stress/emotional stress occurs, can help the viewer to understand the mood more, which is just something to think about. There are some opportunities for sharps in the drapery too.

Check out the portraits of sargent to see how he handles edges on 3/4 views with that level of lighting. for example:...

http://www.fanphobia.net/uploads/act...nt_profile.jpg

and

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6a03274c11.png

and this one is interesting as he pulls the sharpness up toward the eye so it gives the viewer a better place to rest their vision...and strengthens the focal area.

http://uploads5.wikiart.org/images/j...us-parsons.jpg