Thanks

Sketchbook Project 3?

Well this has been tried twice before without success, and I wasn't about to try a third time but it seems that there is still some interest in getting this idea to work.

For those who don't know about this project, the link above explains it a bit, and the website has some of the same info. Basically the idea is that a sketchbook is mailed from person to person, with each person who receives it adding something to it. It's not an original idea, in fact there is a similar ongoing project that has about 1000 books out at once, but satire tried starting one of these books here on CA a while back without success, and I just sort of adopted the project and put together the website.

Anyway, after the second book went missing I didn't have any intention of immediately starting a third, but lately I've gottan a few PMs and emails asking about the project and if it will start up again. So the purpose of this thread is to see if there really is enough serious interest in this project to take another shot at it.

Interested? Post here and let me know. But remember, this is just a feeler thread to see if there is enough interest, and it is not a sign-up sheet. If we decide to procede, a proper thread will be started with instructions.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The lost book problem should be addressed before you start it up again. Sad, that it's happened twice now. Maybe you should have artists buy into the project by putting in a cash deposit that will be returned when the book is confirmed at the next location.

I wouldn't mind contributing ... but I'm not really a regular here on CA.org so I may be self-inviting myself where I'm not wanted.

Thanks
    I, too, think that the lost book problem should be addressed. I'd really like to know what happened to the last book. I was looking forward to seeing the rest of the art in it.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Mike, i would like to paticipate also...

Thanks
    yah what a shame...

i would really like to see one work.. then maybe after that we can go for a world wide one, and toss her over to canada to me

Thanks
    I'd love to be on board, and...well i basically want to say exactly the same thing as MIKECORRIERO. even the thing about dirty jersey.

peace

Thanks
    Kirt / fukifino: I'll look into finding out what happened to the last book. Last I heard, it got held up at the post office for some reson, was reshipped, and that was it. I was supposed to receive a tracking number but of course that didn't happen. But I'll get a hold of the last people to see it and find out what I can.

bryan: I know you're always in for these projects.

corriero: I know what you mean. That was part of the problem since the first book went missing. That one contained some nice stuff from Coro, so the idea that someone deliberatly kept the book came up. And it's hard to get people to put the time into a piece that could just go missing. On some level that's the point of this project; to see if people will contribute to something and then ship it off to some other random person, trusting that they in turn will keep it moving.

arghmisfit: That has been the idea since the beginning... to get a book to go worldwide. The second book was USA only just to see if this would work on a smaller scale, and until we can get a book to complete a one-country journey, a world book probably won't happen.

And if this happens, it's NJ and NY up first this time.

Thanks
    sounds cool

Thanks
    Anyone have a suggestion for what to do with a book if it ever actually makes the full trip? Assuming we try this again and it works this time, I'd like some feedback from you guys concerning what to do with the book next. Of course I will photograph and scan it when it comes back, but should we have a contest/raffle/random number drawing for it? Sell it (proceeds going to CA or something)? Publish it (I wish)? Throw some ideas at me...

Thanks
    Tht'd be really awesome but i can see it dissapearing on account of some manner of asshole. Otherwise that'd rawk.

Thanks
    Well, I'm not sure if this was done with the last ones, but I'd say that it would be nice to make it a requirement that each person send it certified (ie. someone has to sign for it at the destination and the sender gets a receipt back saying the other person recieved it). It's a bit more expensive, but given the way this has gone in the past, I'd say that it's a logical requirement. That way it's very easy to track down the last person to have it. And sometimes all someone needs is a little accountability to make sure they don't do anything "naughty." Kind of hard to say "I never received it" when we have a piece of paper with your signature on it saying you did.

Also might think about insurance, but I don' t know if that'll really do much.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    That and the deposit sounds like a good idea. It's a shame it needs to be that constricting but hey.. those are the times.

Thanks
    im down...again.

Thanks
    Maybe you could just involve the local sketch artists groups? They could all get together and add their contributions and stuff and maybe help as far as responsability and accounting for the sketchbook goes..
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    some_guy ~ i concur. i could see that actually happening. only problem of course would be those guys in areas that don't have sketchgroups. another reason to start one

Thanks
    These are all good ideas especially the certified mail idea. I might also suggest that there needs to be a rule of no hand offs....ever. Its seems that is also an excuse for lost books of the past. Oh and im down if it ever takes off.
    Josh

Thanks
    I totally agree with the certified mail or other trackable method of shipping. I've always hoped I could leave the shipping method up to the person shipping, as well as making sure the book is secure and properly packaged, but next time there will be a rule about spending a few bucks and shipping it right.

As for 'no hand offs', there may be situations where shipping it just doesn't make sense. Last time we had a bunch of people in Washington, all within a close distance to each other, and I told them they could pass the book in person if they wanted to. In some ways this might even be safer. You can't say it got lost in the mail. I'll leave that one up to the people on the list, and we'll see if it even matters once we know what cities the book will be traveling to.

Keep the ideas coming guys. I'm glad there's still interest in making this happen, and hopefully we can get this third book going soon.

I'm going to go ahead and complicate things a bit though and offer another suggestion. How about two or three books at once? If I get a similar size book as last time, I figured about 15 people could take 2 or 3 sheets of paper (2-3 front AND back) each. After I had the original list filled, I kept getting names and started a sort of reserve list. Why not just have two or three books going at once? Anyone have a reason not to? I could just fill up one list and send out the book, then as soon as another list fills I'll send out that book, and so on.

Thanks
    Wow, this sounds like a great idea. Shame the first two didn't work out though. It would be awesome to get in on this. I'm fairly new here though so I'll just watch. Hope this one goes better though.

Thanks
    I'm game.

looks like you're already implementing evertying I was going to suggest... don't know what else help to keep the book from getting lost.

Thanks
    Word on the second book that went missing is that it was reshipped after some problem at the post office with the first attempt, and it just never got to the next person. I don't know if any finger pointing will help here, nor do I even know exactly where I would point. The people involved are upstanding members of this community and I don't think there was any shady handling of the book, so as far as I'm concerned, it's just lost in the good old US Postal system.

The lessons to learn here have already been mentioned above. Get a tracking number and require a signature on delivery. If the post office is to blame, well we're pretty much screwed then. If anyone is inclined to add insurance when they ship it, by all means do so. But I'm not sure what the $ value of original sketches by various artists is, and even if we did get some money back for a lost sketchbook, what good is it? The drawings are still lost.

If we can eliminate errors on our side by sending the book via a trackable service, then we should. Other than that, I guess we'll just have to trust the system.

So if it's not already obvious, I'll just officially say that I do have intentions of starting a list for a third (and possibly fourth) book, and I expect to begin taking names and addresses on Monday. I'll post an "official" thread sometime Monday afternoon, and let the names pour in. Of course for privacy reasons I'll have you email your addresses to me and not post them here. If this goes anything like last time, the list will probably not fill up in a matter of hours, so don't feel like you need to watch the boards like a hawk on Monday. And if you don't get in on the third book, I'm strongly considering running a fourth book at the same time, if enough names are coming in. The order of shipping/receiving will be determined geographically, and since the book is originating here in New Jersey, you other NJ and NY guys will have first crack at it this time.

More info to come in the official thread.

Thanks again to everyone for providing ideas and info. I have a feeling we're going to get this crazy ass idea to work this time.

Thanks
    Regarding the insurance issue. The only reason I suggested it is, if the post office "lost" the book, it was just a thought that if it was insured, they might be more likely to be a little more careful with it. But then again, the average postal worker probably doesn't really give a damn. *shrug*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    Regarding the insurance issue. The only reason I suggested it is, if the post office "lost" the book, it was just a thought that if it was insured, they might be more likely to be a little more careful with it. But then again, the average postal worker probably doesn't really give a damn. *shrug*
    I would guess that you're right about the average (possibly disgruntled) postal worker. So I'm inclined to just leave the insurance option up to the person doing the shipping. If anyone is ok with spending a extra few bucks on insurance, the other people involved in this project (especially the ones who get the book before you) would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Im definetly still interested in this. I was on the list for the first book and wanted to be in on the second one...

We should staple a GPS tracker to it

But the whole receipt plus insurance idea sounds good.

The second loss seems like a fluke... bad luck and not a trend setter. The US Postal Service hasn't ever lost anything of mine.

-toasty

Thanks
    There's another thread started... sign up in there...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31003