Thanks

Jen's Sketchbook of Nonsense

Hey guys! I've been lurking around for a while, and now I've decided to start posting some of my work! I'm really interested in creature design, so I have some animal studies and beastie concepts.

EDIT 9-21-2015 Updated and removed old images to change thumbnail/clean things up!

Name:  Walking Leopard.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  166.8 KB
    Last edited by JenBarrett; September 21st, 2015 at 01:50 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like the creature design, it looks very believable to me. Personally I like the purple one, with the colours on the webbing it reminds me of a sunrise Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Good work! You got some nice anatomy and proportions going on!
    About the creature, I really like the orange one, but I would like to see some markings on it, as in the other designs. I can't also really tell if this creature has fur. The body makes me believe it has, but the lizard head makes me think otherwise... You should render it a little bit more, or just do a quick overpaint to suggest that!

Anyway, good job sir! I hope to see more from you here D

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchdebunch View Post
    I like the creature design, it looks very believable to me. Personally I like the purple one, with the colours on the webbing it reminds me of a sunrise Keep up the good work!
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear it looks believable! I love making creatures that look like they could actually exist anatomy-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasdra View Post
    Good work! You got some nice anatomy and proportions going on!
    About the creature, I really like the orange one, but I would like to see some markings on it, as in the other designs. I can't also really tell if this creature has fur. The body makes me believe it has, but the lizard head makes me think otherwise... You should render it a little bit more, or just do a quick overpaint to suggest that!

Anyway, good job sir! I hope to see more from you here D
    Thanks so much! Yeah, I was thinking about that as well- it does look a tad plain next to the others; I'll have to experiment and see what else I can come up with! I'll keep the texture in mind as I continue, I tend to have some difficulty with rendering textures like fur/scales in a believable way.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely be posting more!

Thanks
    Alright, here's the beginnings of my fully rendered 'fin-horse-thingy' (catchy name, isn't it?):

Name:  cleanedconceptlineswip.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  623.9 KB
    Still have a lot of work to do, but it's a good start I think! Next to the brainstorming stage, this is my favorite part of the process of making a creature.

Name:  practice.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  383.3 KB
    And a really quick (about an hour I think) study of some basic shapes to practice! I might go back in and refine it some more for tomorrow morning's warm up.

Thanks
    Some more work! Not much for now, just last night's wind-down practice portrait before bed. About an hour to an hour and a half if I remember correctly.

Name:  portrait practice.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  341.7 KB

Thanks
    The creature is starting to look more 3d now, particularly around the face and neck I think some of the proportions are a little off in the portrait, in particular the chin looks a bit small to me. The rendering is looking good though, keep it up!

Thanks
    @Hunchdebunch

Thanks, I've put a lot of time into that area! (the head is my favorite part of all creatures) I'll keep in mind the proportions on my next portrait- it's something I really need to work on in the future. I'm glad to hear the rendering is looking good though!

Here's my warmup from this morning- a cool little rhino face. About 30-45 minutes, I wanted to take longer but I had to rush off to class.
    Name:  Warmup3215.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  254.8 KB

Thanks
    Heya! Superb animal studies.

Thanks for stopping by my SB. Looking forward to more creature stuff.

Thanks
    Your creature proportions are astounding! Great start to your sketchbook! Looking forward to seeing a couple of fully rendered pieces, but again you have a great start here. :-)

Thanks
    @dndallasta Thanks, I'm hoping to get a lot more up here as I get it done. Gotta get those portfolio pieces done so I can get some cool creature design jobs.

@Chey Fergus Oh wow, thanks so much!! I love studying animal anatomy on the skeletal and muscular level, so I think that's helped a lot. Hopefully I'll get some more of those done, I have the bad habit of losing patience when I do full renders- gotta push through it though!!!

Alright, here's the (potentially) finished Fin-Horse-Thingy! Started to get frustrated, so I took a short break then went back to it. Really liking this design, I think I'll try it out in some interesting poses.

Name:  Fin Horse.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  922.1 KB

Thanks
    Today's work! Not as much as usual, had classes all day and we're mostly just doing midterm critiques instead of working on projects.

[images deleted for cleanup]
    Wish I'd spent some more time on this one- not entirely satisfied with the proportions and value structure.

Liking this one a bit more- it's got an interesting range of values.
    Last edited by JenBarrett; September 20th, 2015 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    I LOVE your fin-horse-thingy!! I really hope you don't mind this suggestion, but I feel like you could add a little more interest to the face if you added some of the orange color to it, above the eye perhaps? Anyways, I can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    @MochaMonkey I don't mind the suggestion at all, thanks! I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Been a few days since I last posted, so here's some WIPs! Spring break just started, so as you can probably imagine the last couple of days have consisted of more celebrating than working.

[images removed due to excessive size; 9-21-15]
    Last edited by JenBarrett; September 21st, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    It's nice to see some more art from you! I was wondering, do you use a square brush for your digital painting? Or at least for parts of it? Because you get these really interesting square marks in your images, and I just wondered where they came from.

Thanks
    Thanks, I'm glad to be doing more! I'll be hopefully be getting a lot done this week. Yeah, I do! I used to use a basic round brush, but for some reason it didn't feel right so I tried a square and it was perfect. It's one of the defaults in PS, I just tweaked with some of the setting so it'd be good for painting with.

Thanks
    I dig your colors, it reminds me of Moebius.

Thanks
    And I'm back after a few days!! I've been working on a lot of homework so I hadn't been able to do as many of my digital studies- here's a couple from the past day or so.

[deleted due to size of files/cleaning up]

Anyone happen to know a decent archive of face/head references? All google gives me are photos that have been airbrushed to hell and back, which isn't very useful for value structure.
    Last edited by JenBarrett; September 20th, 2015 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks
    Had some free time to work today, so here's a headshot of a cool little beastie that's been floating around in my head:

Name:  colorideas.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  448.5 KB
    Started off with some color ideas, then chose one.
    Name:  finalhead.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  400.4 KB
    Did a greyscale painting, plopped my basic colors right on top with a Vivid Light layer (lazy lazy) then painted it up a bit. Probably gonna do a full body for this lovely guy at some point.

Thanks
    If you're still looking for photo references there's this tumblr and also portrait photos. You might find some useful images

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cricridb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks so much, that tumblr is exactly what I've been looking for!! I usually do portraits for my morning warm ups and to wind down at night, this is excellent.

Thanks
    that square brush gives your work an 8 bit feel, love it!

Thanks
    Aaaand I'm back after a few days! Here's some stuff I'm currently working on/worked on:
    Name:  img104.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  1.15 MB
    Sketch that I decided to scan in and paint for some practice! There's dozens of these things in my sketchbooks, wish I had the time to develop them all...

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 10.18.08 PM.png
Views: 311
Size:  572.5 KB
    Name:  llaaaaaawip.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  377.1 KB
    Doodlin'.

Name:  IceWormFinalConceptweb.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  750.5 KB
    A project I'm doing work for!

As always, any advice would be awesome- I've noticed my digital work is always overly smooth, any tips on getting some nice texture going on in there?

Thanks
    Whoa, been quite a while! Totally forgot to update this poor little sketchbook. Here's some recent work to get things moving again!

Jen's Sketchbook of NonsenseJen's Sketchbook of Nonsense

As you can see, been working mainly with animal anatomy lately, with a bit of environment work to slowly ease myself into them. Hopefully I'll remember to update this more often!

Thanks
    I feel your starting out good, but I would recommend focusing on forms and how to really emphasize it in your drawings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah moatasem View Post
    I feel your starting out good, but I would recommend focusing on forms and how to really emphasize it in your drawings.
    Thanks much, I'll work on that as I continue from here! Been realizing I need to go back to the basics a bit lately.

Today's update! Quick little environment practice that I might continue with- I like the general mood it has so far.