Painter XI trial version .. try it out
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Painter XI trial version .. try it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter XI trial version .. try it out

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Products/Content&pid=1047023646661&cid=1047023647703

2. There is a frames control for making animations.
    3. Oil paints are really nice aswell.

Dislikes
    1. Airbrush is now useless
    2. Still have to preview effects through a tiny little window

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Other thoughts

As I mentioned in a previous topic, I'm using the trial on a dual G5 with OS X Jaguar.

Layers were something of a problem in 8 on OS X. Performance slowed dramatically as new layers were added. There was also a bug in which if you selected an area of the canvas, floated it, then dropped it again, Painter would slow to a crawl and require a restart of the application to get back to speed. Both of these performance issues seem to have been fixed.

Having two canvases open at once also caused a slowdown. It seemed Painter was dividing time slices among them equally, unable to tell which one had the focus. This also seems to have been corrected.

I worked on a project last night in which I worked on 3000 x 4000 pixel canvas, added a half-dozen shape and raster layers, and saw no slowdown in performance.

I'm not that crazy about the startup panel, and it took awhile to figure out how to disable it. Click on the bottom tab on the right, which has a small carpenter's tools icon, and at the bottom, there's a check box to disable it.

It seems some of the keyboard shortcuts have changed. I noticed this only beacuse a couple that I had mapped to the buttons on my stylus suddenly did different things than they had done in 8.

Another OS X issue was incompatibility with Photoshop plug-ins. This has been *mostly* solved. Some of my beloved Flaming Pear plugins still don't work, though many or most do. My Panopticum plugins also work.

Photoshop's own plugins do not work. If you create a Mac alias to your Photoshop plugins folder (as I did), you'll see the Photoshop plugins in your menu. But clicking one will cause a hard crash. I didn't expect these to work, frankly, given how much Adobe has tied them into Photoshop, but I wanted to give it a try.

As I said before (I think), if you're an OS X user and a heavy Painter user, this is a worthwhile upgrade. It takes some courage, from a marketing POV, to release a $230 upgrade to a product that makes what works work better, rather than take the easy way out and add four or five more marketable widgets.

And although I'm not a programmer, I think we can expect that the effort Corel has put into building up the foundation here will make it easier for them to offer more features in Painter 10 and 11.

(BTW, for those who don't already know -- Apple is building into the next version of OS X something very similar to Adobe's plugin architecture which will allow graphics and video products to access graphics features at the operating system level. I think it will be hugely important to graphics professionals, and I hope Painter's programmers have a developer version already in-house.)

Last edited by mcarp; September 22nd, 2004 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some painter 9 quirks

Hi,

OK... I tried P9 trial and it looks good... but there are few things that I stumbled upon... so I wonder if any of you guys has solution or suggestion.

1.) digital watercolor... it looks like it is different that Painter's 8.1 in more ways that corel says. Well, it looks like it creates some kind of wet layer and so if you try to use, say, FX glow or chalk grainy blender on it it doesn't do nothing... if you dry it (ctrl+shift+L) then all works....

but in P 8.1 you COULD use any other brush and method while digital watercolor is still wet. I used this all the time (to blend and add same shade of glazing) - so it was first thing I stumbled upon.

Maybe it is bug in this beta trial (I presume this is still beta) - I hope in P9 final release digital watercolor will have features on 8.1

I kinda remember that in P7 (or was it P 8.0) similar this happened - which was then fixed in P 8.1 (I may be wrong here)

2.) I also cannot seem to be able to adjust diffusion of digital watercolor after I did my stroke even though it says in help that it is possible.

On postitive note - it is fast and Oils really rule.

Igor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Igor,

Take a look at my response to your (same) question at CGTalk's Painter Forum today:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171974

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Well..I've just had a first go at Painter IX, and although I'm not going to draw a harsh conclusion on it as much as painter 8, I will still resign to the comforts of painter 6.1. God bless the fact that I can run it on classic, and faster than it would run in OS9.2 any 'ole day.

-For one, the most evident of my rantings has been the digital watercolor vs. the Simple water color. Even though it feels closer to being right in this IX version, still isn't the same thing. I can still end up getting more out of painter6.1 in the first 15 minutes of opening it than I can in every version after.

Secondly,
    there is still a slight problem of ghosting in the hand tooling around the page. -And more important, the interpolation of line while sketching. I mentioned this before. I asked Rick Champagne about that in particular, and although he mentioned the "Draw zoomed-out views using
    area-averaging", I found there was no improved view. *Could this be that I'm on an Apple flat cinema display, and not seeing as I would with glass pixels?

Over all, I think painter 6.1 will still be the choice app.
    Although, I will say from looking at painter 8, it looks better.

"Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What makes P6 watercolor better?

Quote Originally Posted by koro
    -I will still resign to the comforts of painter 6.1. God bless the fact that I can run it on classic, and faster than it would run in OS9.2 any 'ole day.

-For one, the most evident of my rantings has been the digital watercolor vs. the Simple water color. Even though it feels closer to being right in this IX version, still isn't the same thing. I can still end up getting more out of painter6.1 in the first 15 minutes of opening it than I can in every version after.
    Painter 6 is nice for its apparent simplicity, but pretty soon you encounter things that a pro app should do. Layer masks, good Photoshop compatibility, etc... That said, if P6 does what you need, then by all means use it! It's not going to suddenly die or something.

However, I am curious. What makes P6 watercolor better than Painter IX? The fact that it does not work on layers?

To my eyes and tablet, PIX's Digital Watercolor feels very similar to P6' watercolor. And I can import my favorite brushes from P6...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.