Thanks

Lightbulb CA.ORG - more than a simple board?

I just browsed through the deviantart-site after Skank posted a link of an artist on this site and i saw many cool ideas, which i think really are interesting for an art-community...

There are showcases with preview pictures of...
    - Featured artwork...every artist can show off one of his artwork, which he is proud of or whatever

- Recent artwork

- Recent Favourite: Another artists artwork, which you like

I like the "Watched by" and "Friends" feature too...

Some conceptart.org-specific features would be also very cool, like "Involved Thunderdomes", "Selfportrait", "DSB", "DSG - contributions" etc...

A personal area for every member, this would be fun and let grow the community stronger together...

I KNOW that this is MUCH work and that ca.org just did a whole redesign and that the admins have no time...but actually i hoped something like this, as we waited for the relaunch...

What do you think...without bashing my head instantly...???

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the ideas ain´t bad at all but i think the main difference is that dA is created by coding/it ninja aliens whereas CA is made by art androids.

i prefer the latter and gladly exchange a bunch of lifetime eating virtual features for lifetime enhancing real life features (you know workshops and stuff...).

i feel i can find everything i need on CA easliy but i can also simply log off and go draw. and i remember i had a hard time doing that back in the glory days of dA because it was too exiting and vivid but in an unproductive kinda way.

Thanks
    Yeah, there are lots of things to do to improve CA. Jason showed me CgTalk's forums yesterday. They have these neat preview images for the gallery forums...
    http://cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Perhaps, if there is anyone interested in helping who knows PHP/MySQL (it's easy...you just need some basic programming and database knowledge and then check the documentation when you want to know how to do something), we could set up subversion or CVS and then let everyone hack away at the main site and forum code...

I don't know...it's just an idea. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    we could definitely use some volunteers.

I will trade workshop tuition for peeps that want to help get this done and have the skills to make it happen. I wish we could offer more.

Any help making conceptart.org a better place for everyone here.

these are great ideas and I really hope we can get implemented.

this place is going to be awesome in no time at all. thank you all for the input.

Jason

Thanks
    I like the fact that this is message board based.. but if you wanted to update to something slightly more unique, it would be cool to have your profiles support some sort of small gallery of work. I don't think CA should host the art or anything.. just allow for images to be linked as thumbnails from a user-created gallery on their profile page. Then you could easily click anyone's name to check out a sample of their work.

Thanks
    I think the forum aspect is the best part of concept art. I mean deviant art is okay and all but I just dont like how its like an archive of millions upon millions of thumbnails and so on. There is less connection I guess

I think added features would be neat like to the main page or something, but creating a monster forum site like DA would be too much, in my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinix
    I like the fact that this is message board based.. but if you wanted to update to something slightly more unique, it would be cool to have your profiles support some sort of small gallery of work. I don't think CA should host the art or anything.. just allow for images to be linked as thumbnails from a user-created gallery on their profile page. Then you could easily click anyone's name to check out a sample of their work.
    that has been the plan from the beginning...we are simply out of budget to get this part done at this time. we want gallery sections added to each profile page...the more an artist grows and contributes on the site the more space and the larger the images can be in the portfolio section.

j

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by endregan
    I think the forum aspect is the best part of concept art. I mean deviant art is okay and all but I just dont like how its like an archive of millions upon millions of thumbnails and so on. There is less connection I guess

I think added features would be neat like to the main page or something, but creating a monster forum site like DA would be too much, in my opinion
    No one says, that we want conceptart look like deviantart...i am just picking the good ideas from other communities to add them to ca.org...

ca.org will be always the forum-sytle as that is its best part...but we could add some nice features like personal sections, where you will find this features by clicking on the member name...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    No one says, that we want conceptart look like deviantart...i am just picking the good ideas from other communities to add them to ca.org...

ca.org will be always the forum-sytle as that is its best part...but we could add some nice features like personal sections, where you will find this features by clicking on the member name...
    Exactly. It will be forum based, but with different good features from places like deviantart thrown in. deviantart to me feels like it's based on two things; the work you post (art, skins, whatever...) and your personal page. We don't want the personal page to become too important at CA - that's what your own personal homepage is for

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontemonti
    ...), we could set up subversion or CVS and then let everyone hack away at the main site and forum code...

I don't know...it's just an idea. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.
    Who do you mean when you write: everybody?
    I'd love to try writing such a modification. I have basic programming and MySql knowledge.
    And I took a closer look at different projects like gallery, invision board and phpbb.
    I think I know how much work it would be.

But there are some busy weeks ahead and I wouldn't be able to promise that I could deliver eventually.
    I'll know how much time I can invest in two or three weeks.
    If it is that easy to set up a testing environment I would love to try it.

But let's hope there are more people who can do the job.
    How about writing an announcement? People might miss this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Signature
    Who do you mean when you write: everybody?
    I believe I mean: someone who has been approved and received a username/password to log in to that system. And I believe that those who offer to help will be accepted - if someone messes everything up we can always kick him/her out and get the old code back.

I believe this can work. If you have some spare time, you can make a few modifications or write a small function or something and then upload it. We can do most of the testing on our local computers, and when we have implemeted some features which seem to be working, we can setup a test board of some sort to try it out a little bit more before actually replacing the real site/forums.

I doubt I will have much time to work on anything, but I can at least take some time to set it up. I will need to look into how and where to set up subversion. I have never worked with the server part before...only a neat client called TortoiseSVN (which integrates with explorer).

Thanks
    I see. I guess the way I work wouldn't be Version Control friendly.
    Those things always have a big learning curve.
    I guess I'd need my own, local testing environment.

Guess we should just forget that I wrote the reply

Thanks
    hmmm? how can you not work "version control friendly"? Easiest thing in the world...start coding...and when you have made some small change, just upload it. At least if it seems to work
    TortoiseSVN is so easy it's almost ridiculous. Okay, I didn't understand how to use it the first time I tried, but that was because I didn't know that basically all functionality is integrated into explorer.
    You just set up a folder, which you link to a repository folder...and then right-click the folder and choose commit when you want to upload something...and update when you want to download the latest revision. For basic usage, that's about all you need to know.

Thanks
    Well I have TortoiseSVN installed and got it to interact with a Sourceforge CVS repository.
    Maybe I'd just have to see how several developers work on the same code like that.

But I'd be too afraid that I might mess something up. I'm more of a tinker ... not a thinker.
    That is why I always want to develop in the dark with the possibility to make changes and refresh.

Guess I just can't imagine how exactly it would work with version control software.

I'd download the latest version and install it locally ...
    then I'd make changes and test them locally ...
    then I'd commit the files to the repository?
    So I would be able to see if it works locally ... and if it didn't I could just not commit any files at all?
    It that what you wrote?

Or would I have to commit files before I could test if they work?

Thanks
    Well...to give a practical example: my laptop.
    It's running IIS, MySQL, PHP, etc. I would create a new folder in my wwwroot, or just add a virtual directory, which contains all the CA files, with a "connection" to the SVN directory.
    So, I edit the files on my laptop and can immediately test them on my local web server. I can them commit them to the repository if it seems to be working, or I can revert back to the previous version if it doesn't work and I don't want to fix it
    You don't have to commit files that don't work. In fact, I believe you shouldn't as it would be kind of annoying if I update my files and find out that nothing is working anymore

Ideally, we shouldn't work on the same files. I shouldn't make changes to index.php if I know that you're working on that file...

Thanks
    i would help but i dont know anything about that stuff, but the fact is we have almost 14,000 members so if we pool efforts anything can be acomplished. Just have manley post asking for help.
    BLAST ON YOU!