Thanks

How well do Wacoms work with widescreen?

I have a widescreen laptop on the way, initially I planned to use it for presentations, email, etc. But it would be nice if I could paint on it too. But since it's a widescreen, I'm doubting whether my 8x6 graphire will work well with it, since they are different aspect ratios. Anyone with any experience using this setup?
    It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Check your mapping options. My intuos has several mapping options to help you define how your tablet and screen can work together. Like you can choose "proportional" or "to fit" or you can even go into the advanced mapping to get more specific.

emily

Thanks
    yeah, i have a 17" widescreen laptop and it work juuuuuust fine with my 6x8

Of course my laptop isn't working right... but that's beside the point!
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Emily G, thanks, that's the first thing I checked, but since I don't have my hands on the laptop yet, I had no idea how the setup would actually work. Dead space on the drawing area I suppose?

Hey Phuzion, thanks for sharing. So no drawbacks or anything?
    It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?

Thanks
    I guess if you select "to fit" there wouldn't be any deadspace. It would stretch the "live" area so it covered the whole tablet.

Sounds like Phuzion's got the answer for ya. I'm curious to how he mapped his tablet.

emily

Thanks
    I just checked Wacom Europe's forums, and I will definitely be getting an inch of dead space on my 6x8. Dual screen users have it worse; their drawing area is cut in half! Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find a highend notebook that ISN'T widescreen lately?

Thanks

Cool

Wait... I have dual monitors, and I have no dead space. I have the tablet custom mapped proportionally to only one monitor and it works fine. But that's because I only paint on one monitor, and use the other for tools, palettes, reference, etc. So I don't need my tablet to stretch over to the other monitor. I'd try to stick with proportional if possible. This way your hand movements are the same as what you get on screen.

As for a widescreen, I can see you possibly having some dead space at top, bottom or both, depending on how you map. If you decide to stay proportional, you may want to map it so that your working space rides in the center of the tablet, so as to split the dead space above and below. Like this:
    How well do Wacoms work with widescreen?

Of course, you could select To Fit and just make it stretch, but that might be disorienting, as your y-axis will be a bit more sensitive than the x-axis (or vice versa?). But, it may or may not be enough to bother you. I'm sure everyone would be different in that regard. Try both and see which is better.

Hey Wacom... when will you be making a widescreen tablet?!

Thanks
    i have a 17 inch laptop and my intous2 9x12 works great with it
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I did the math (my laptop screen is a 16:10) and I am losing exactly 1 inch off my 8x6. Not bad. I guess my big concern now is how good the color reproduction on an LCD is, but I'll just wait and see.