Thanks

Sequential76 - Color & light 1.1

Before starting I looked through a Key lighting article another member posted on Face Book and I looked at Velasquez. I set up my area for low key because it' a simple and dramatic single source of light. Turned off all light and put blankets over the windows. I decided to present in a circle frame, I've seen Rembrandt do something like it. I paid attention to add fill light to shadows, a core shadow, shadow from my chin an nose, specular light in the key lit area. I tried to stay away from brightest whites and ended up putting in some small amount of pure black. I used the blacks for Occlusion Shadow, as read from Gurney's Color & Light. I included my leather chair in the back to pop my shoulder, neck and hair shapes.

Sequential76 - Color & light 1.1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    This feels almost medieval in execution. If you look at some Holbein the Younger's portraits, you see how unfussy the face is treated. Also check out the structure of your nose.