Thanks

MarsSamuels Sketchbook

The idea was to do a timed head sketch every day to limit my time, so i limit my design choices. I can barely draw the head, so I said screw it and just worried about doing it every day. Im quite sure I read something before about not overloading the uploads for attention, so I'll post these little by little, but I have up to 26 at the moment. I'm really concerned with the construction, especially the planes of the face.
    Right now i've been going through Loomis's head and hands over and over, a simplified explanation of that book by Proko, and a number of plane diagrams from a favorite artist of mine http://funkymonkey1945.deviantart.co...ants-365586121.
    It really does help to do these everyday, but it makes me painfully aware of things I don't know how to change, that need to be changed. Anyone willing to do some bashing would be extremely appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    2n'd set

Thanks
    3rd set

Thanks
    4th set

Thanks
    5th set

Thanks
    6th set

Thanks
    7th set
    Around here I filled my stock folders for practice with pictures of cosplayers because I found it it's a lot more fun to draw people with crazy hair and costumes than plainly dressed people. Don't know if that's more harmful than helpful but still...
    One of the images I found was by this lady http://lolytachan.deviantart.com/art...play-193768273, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it stood out so much in my head. Turns out it's one of a few thousand by the artist I mentioned earlier http://funkymonkey1945.deviantart.co...-423-337821060.
    It's cool (for me) to compare the two, because I can pit my bad decisions against his good decisions. Like the fact I darkened the crap out of it...

Thanks
    8th set

Thanks
    9 th set

Thanks
    10 th set
    which is now that I realize graphite pencils don't scan too well...

Thanks
    11th upload
    (not sets anymore so i can keep up more easily)

Thanks
    12th

Thanks
    Hey, good for you for doing these so often. I don't know if you've actually been able to stick to doing them *every* day since you started, but nonetheless, good job, keep it up! Discipline is very, very valuable for artists.

First thing I notice? Most of these pictures are so messy. Are you using a blending stump or smudging with your hand? If you want to blend the graphite to achieve smoother shading, sure, that's fine -- but BE CONSISTENT.
    If the smudging is by accident, you need to be more mindful of avoiding that when you're drawing. Try using a clean piece of paper to rest your hand on while you draw, so your skin doesn't pick up all that graphite.

Come to think of it, consistency seems to be an issue for you in other aspects of the drawing, too. You tend to use hard lines for the eyes and sometimes for mouth, nostrils, etc... and then you use fuzzy shading to delineate other features. It's kinda like you can't decide whether to use outlines or not.

Are you aiming for cartoon, or realism?

The ink linework has potential! But, again -- be consistent! Don't just use a few random strokes of ink on a picture that is otherwise fully rendered in pencil. I suggest you try doing a few portraits in ink only, keeping shading to a minimum if using it at all. Maybe lay out the basic shapes of the face in pencil, then finish it in ink. (You could erase the pencil afterwards for a cleaner appearance.)

Photos of people in costume may not be a good choice of reference for you. Why? Makeup. Many cosplayers use a lot of makeup, particularly around the eyes. You may find yourself drawing every person with eyeliner and fake lashes without even realizing it. Also, while costumes may be more fun to draw that ordinary clothes, that isn't really your concern right now, is it? What you're focused on learning right now is the face. That being said, in the pictures you've posted so far, it doesn't look like you've been too distracted by the costumes. If drawing people in costumes instead of ordinary clothes helps you stay motivated to draw every day, go for it, just be aware of the potential shortcomings.

Regardless of what the model is wearing in your chosen reference photos, pay attention to the lighting. Avoid washed-out photos like the one you linked to a few posts back. Look for photos with simple light sources that help you see the planes of the face.

If you need me to clarify anything I've said, just ask.
    ----------

sketchbook / dA / BookSketch (blog)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Indigo Dawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're definitely off to a nice start with these, and well done on being so dedicated. Something that I just want to mention before I go into talking about your actual work - it helps a lot if you scale the images down to a bit of a smaller size before you upload, just because that way they don't get cut off and they're not too big for people to see. It could just be my PC (I have no idea if it's like that for you or anyone else!) but it just makes it a little tricky to get a full feel for the image when some of it is cut off by the margins.

ANYWAY, onto the actual feedback. :'D

I think it would help you a lot if you looked at the way the face is structured. Right now you're doing portraits (which is totally fine!) but if you spent some time working on the shapes and the forms then I think that could be way more helpful. How do you go about planning out your faces at the moment? Do you give yourself a guide or do you just go straight in there and try to get the proportions right? I think you should check out Andrew Loomis's book, 'Drawing the Head and Hands' because it not only shows you how to draw the head as a whole but it helps you break it down and figure out how the proportions work. You can get it in PDF form if you can't get hold of a physical copy.

Also I'd suggest trying out some of these studies entirely in biro/marker. When I did a foundation course the tutor told me to do this and it actually made me better at anatomy, which I thought was crazy but it was true. :'D When you're drawing with something permanent it makes you think out your strokes more and become more confident with them. Pencil is great but you have that huge safety net of being able to erase it and re-draw as many times as possible. Take that away and it makes you more aware of the lines you need to make and it helps you see where you're going wrong if you do make a mistake.

I hope this huge text wall isn't too daunting ;>_> and that my advice is useful to you somehow! Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoonigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I ran outta steam for a couple of days honestly...
    I understand the plane changes of a face, it's just very confusing to separate them cleanly with tone so I mostly took pot shots at what I thought I could see or what I thought I understood. In the newest ones I mostly gave up trying to shade them in and they're much...Brighter?
    What I want to do is be able to understand realism so I simplify it into cartoon style solidly, instead of copying other artists. I still do sometimes to try and understand why they chose to do what they did. The ink is mostly for the joy of using an ink pen, but sticking to line-work or pencil is definitely a better idea!
    I'll try to do some of the ink ones next, which sounds as fun as scary!

Thanks again though, I really appreciate it!

Thanks
    I'm not sure how to resize the images actually... Is that something I can do in paint (I don't have any photo editing programs yet)?
    I've gone through Loomis a few times (reading through it again just now actually), so I almost always use the ball and plane method. I mostly use his proportions and planes diagrams, but I've got the other plane diagrams I posted at the top in the back of my head.
    I get the method mostly, but I have trouble chopping off the sides in proper perspective. I even cheated and drew lines on a ball so I can have a physical object to visualize with. I did try the Bridgman method too but good lordy is that guy tough to understand!
    I was told to try pencil then ink, so ill try that a few times to get used to the pen and then have at it with the ink only after that.
    Do micro liners work? I honestly can't find Biro Markers on google. Is that sort of like copic or touch markers?

Thanks for taking the time! The extra text just made me more excited actually!

Thanks
    13th
    Thanks again for anybody that has or is checking these out!