Seattle Sketch Group Gallery Show (Portraits)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey all,

In an effort to raise some funds for the group (with the eventual goal of funding a steady meeting area, and possibly opening our own gallery) we are going to start with our first gallery show. We are hoping to have the show in a local gallery around January. We've scoped out the place, Art Not Terminal, just north of Downtown. It costs 200 bucks to show in the basement for a month, 300 dollars fronted for a security deposit (which is fully refundable barring major damage), not counting monies for promotion and for putting together the presentation package. Here's the skinny...

Looking at total costs somewhere in the range of 700 dollars, If we can pull together around 20+ participants, that makes the total amount around 30+ dollars each, or so. The more people who chip in, the less the show costs each of us. There is no signing up ahead of time, turning in a piece(s) is the contract to split the costs, assuming we get enough entries to make it feasable.

We will be putting together a presentation package to take before the Art Not Terminal board on the 7th of November (2 weeks later). Upon approval, we will book the next available month, which is January at this time.

Of course, any comments, questions, suggestions welcome.

The first step is to collect entries. The due date is going to be the 23rd of October. The subject is "Portraits", the medium and size is determined by you. Your entries MUST have black frames. We will use this to keep everything looking like one show. You can enter any number of pieces, and splitting the cost is based on people, not on pieces per person, entered. Entries are considered donations, but from the cost recouped for each sale 40% will go into a group account, and 60% will go back to the artist.

Example: You submit 2 pieces and price each at 100 dollars. Upon acceptance of the show at Art Not, you pay (along with all the others) your percentage of the cost of the show. You sell both pieces for a total of 200 dollars. You get 120 dollars back right off, and 80 dollars goes into the group account.

Assuming this is successful, and the group wants to do another show, we will then have the money in the bank to front for the costs, security deposits, and promotion from there, and not be relying on gathering a certain amount of participants to split the costs.

The 300 dollar security deposit is refundable, which means at the conclusion everyone will get thier share of that back as well.

If any professionals on the site not in the group wish to donate a piece(s), you'd be welcome to. Please PM myself, nova, or Ben Mauro. Any long distance professionals willing to donate would not need to chip in on costs of the show, and once we have some funds, will reimburse you for shipping. Just a thought, if any professionals attending the workshop wish to participate, we could arrange transportation of the pieces from there if some people from Seattle end up driving down...

Thanks! Lets get workin on some killer portraits!!

Here is some pictures of the space taken last Sunday in no perticular order:

That's Ben in the white dress.

Last edited by jetpack42; September 18th, 2004 at 06:42 AM.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like a great idea dude. Though I've never managed to make it to one of the SSGs, I'd love to contribute some shit and help with the costs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like a cool idea but what exactly are you trying to raise money for? i think instead of trying to find a place to rent out we should keep tryin to find a place where we can draw w/out having to pay, the gallery idea is cool but i dont know about the whole splitting the profits thing, kinda unfair if someone brings in like 1000 and someone else brings in like 100 but i dun know

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmask
    sounds like a cool idea but what exactly are you trying to raise money for? i think instead of trying to find a place to rent out we should keep tryin to find a place where we can draw w/out having to pay, the gallery idea is cool but i dont know about the whole splitting the profits thing, kinda unfair if someone brings in like 1000 and someone else brings in like 100 but i dun know
    there is no splitting profits. all the monies made from the sale will go into a sketch group account. entries are donations. if we can eventually get a space of our own, we could have a meeting place, and maybe a gallery where some of our artists/aspiring artists could work, create artwork, and sell artwork.

I think you're missing the point, dude. It's about creating a solid local community of artists to all support each other, help each other out, and help everyone make art better and more accessibly. It's not about profit sharing and stuff...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a great idea. I really hope this comes together for you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats what i was confused about, i didnt know whether this was for profit or what you said because you were really vague on how the money would be used and you really have no solid plan it seems other than, lets start raising money by selling art.

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmm.. whats the sketch group fund for? I like vitas.. why do we need to draw anywhere else?

just my 2 cents...

Cause if my baby dont love me, I know her sister will...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    Hey all,

In an effort to raise some funds for the group (with the eventual goal of funding a steady meeting area, and possibly opening our own gallery)

I've mentioned twice how we plan on using the money, once we raise some. In addition to funding group shows (so we wouldnt all have to chip in), we could rent some space in Seattle which would provide
    -a meeting place (if we needed one, not to say we couldnt go other places)
    -a work space (don't have the room to set up your easel and paint at home? set it up at the group space and paint away. a place to get together on off days with other artists and create)
    -a gallery (we can show our work and sell our work (to make money for ourselves, in addition to the group), at our own discresion)

It could be a hub for local artists, on ConceptArt and otherwise. Maybe the group would be able to help get a CA workshop in Seattle (with location assitance, funds, who knows how big we could get?).

Who knows, man. Once we've got something going, the sky is the limit. It has to start somewhere though...and that somewhere is here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I need to add:

Our group isn't run by me. The money isn't going to be run by me. There's been several of us organizing and putting things together, from the meets to this plan for the show.

Ben Mauro (ben)

nova (laura)

Bojee (alan)

and myself (michael)

All of us have been collaberating on everything. The only reason we run things is because we've taken the initiative to say "hey, lets do this". In a month, I'm leaving to Watts (Encinitas, California), so I won't be helping with anything then, but I want to help out as much as possible before I leave. In December, Alan is moving to Baltimore.

The money will be put into a group account opened by whoever is organizing things at the time alongside ben and laura. Anybody is welcome to step in and help out. Your own involvement with the group is based on your own initiative.

We're striving to really create a solid group that will go beyond (but also include ) shooting the breeze at Vita's. I'd hate to come back to Seattle in a year to find that sketch night petered out because people just didn't care....

Bottom Line: It's a team effort. The more people who help out, the better it will be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool JP.. I wasnt trying to be a naysayer.. this was just the first info Ive heard about show people were talking about last friday. I was really excited at the chance to sell some artwork. Have never done that before. and I REALLY like meeting up at vitas to draw each week. I was just trying to chime in a "?" on why we would want to move. I get it now.. not sure I agree but hey im new and will go along for the ride. Thanks for the planning!

I look forward to turning in a piece or 2.

Cause if my baby dont love me, I know her sister will...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me also add, we are doing our best to work this out to the best of the groups satisfaction.

Thank goodness for Bojee, he's really been a huge help on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,

let's open up the.. uh.. cafe for some discussion tomorrow about the gallery, the space, etc. get your questions answered, give some ideas, drink some coffee, throw confetti.

~ laura

ps. thank goodness for bojee, wha a sweetheart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im in, let me know how i can help, thanks for the clear up jp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Guys, this is a *really* cool idea, and I commend you all for pushing forward with this.

I would like to join in on the action - I don't have any portraits at the moment per se but let me see if I can come up with something.

A couple of questions:

• Does the work have to original, or can it be a print for the showing? The reason I ask is because 99% of my work currently is digital and a print is the only way I can produce something tangible
    • You need the money and submissions by October...? or did I miss the deadline on that...?
    • Not sure how I can help from clear out here in the back 40, but I'd like to offer some sort of support. I obviously can't provide hands on action because, well, I don't know Seattle for jack (I can barely find the Space Needle haha), but I'm wondering if there is way that that I can chip in...
    • Suggestion on promotional materials: www.modernpostcard.com - I've used them several times before and they provide good quality cards at reasonable rates. Someone in the group may know a local printing agency that can provide postcard services cheaper if we decide to go this route, but on the offhand chance it's needed, there it is.

Anyway, I totally love the idea of the eventual gallery/working space for the goup. I love stuff like that. I'm totally in on this, in whatever capacity I can pull off, even if it's just moral support and cheerleading

Cheers,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coolness.... looks like the idea I came up with on the second meet is all coming together. No I didn't think of doing a show, I just thought it'd be cool if we all went in and rented out an art studio.

Anyway, I love the idea... if for some reason I can't donate a painting I'll try and donate some money or something.

I've already been looking into art studios to rent for myself so here are are a couple links you guys might wanna check out even though I'm sure you already know them:

http://www.artdish.com/ubbcgi-bin/ul...?ubb=forum&f=6

http://www.artisttrust.org/4artists/...g/current.html

hope that helps you guys out a little bit... I can't wait till we have our own studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Shane,

Thanks guy, we're flying by the seat of our pants, but we know it's a worthwhile pursuit..

Does the work have to original, or can it be a print for the showing? The reason I ask is because 99% of my work currently is digital and a print is the only way I can produce something tangible
    a limited edition print would work if you've got digital stuff.

You need the money and submissions by October...? or did I miss the deadline on that...?
    we'll need the submissions in by october 23, or at least your best entries we'll be taking the entries we have on that date and making a presentation for the gallery. the money will be due later [we'll set up a date], because we should submit and guarantee our spot first

Not sure how I can help from clear out here in the back 40, but I'd like to offer some sort of support. I obviously can't provide hands on action because, well, I don't know Seattle for jack (I can barely find the Space Needle haha), but I'm wondering if there is way that that I can chip in...
    rad if you'd like to chip in regardless of the gallery show, that's totally welcome.. however we're in the process of getting a fund set up, let's wait for that to come together first

Suggestion on promotional materials: www.modernpostcard.com - I've used them several times before and they provide good quality cards at reasonable rates. Someone in the group may know a local printing agency that can provide postcard services cheaper if we decide to go this route, but on the offhand chance it's needed, there it is.
    thanks for the link! we'll check em out

moral support is always welcome see what happened when you were our cheerleader for the thunderdome??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg what an awesome idea. You better get this running so i can fly half way round th planet to visit. Seriously great great idea. If i can help lemme know, but i think im a bit useless :/ im a bit far away to. Well good luck

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I love this idea, and I'm working on a self portait for class that would be perfect. The only thing I worry about is, being a student, I'd like to keep it for my portfolio, and I doubt I would be able to sell it with enough profit to cover buying my own large frame for it, the initial fee, and the percentage of profit taken out. It will be a colored pencil piece, 18 by 24 inches... is there a way I could make a print out of this somehow that wouldn't cost a lot?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    red rook ~ awe, well get it running then you actually could help us, get some of the pros to submit something

sapphire ~ sure thing. an original would be nice of course but a print would work just as well. if you want the print to sell for a good price, there are a few things that make it more valuable [quality, edition number, etc]

By the way, i gotta find more info about prints, for those of yall that are planning on submitting something that way. The only thing i know right now is kinkos isn't the best way to go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, hey guys, lot's of stuff happening here, last time I was here it was real quiet.
    I think this is a great idea, I'm into anything that we can do as a group. I think it makes the group stronger.

A couple of other things things that could happen if the group gets a space and starts to make regular money. Excuse me if someones already said this.

You guys could run your own drawing/painting sessions. Bring artists in to do workshops. Both you'd need a space to have something like that in, as well as in house workshops with our own artists who have expertise in certain areas. As well viewings of tutorial dvds and videos on art history.

Have regular group shows, nothing like a deadline to motivate you.

Help to pay for costs of going to workshops, gas money, air fare, hotel rooms, all usually cheaper if you get group rate.

The possibilities are truly endless if we get organized.

Thanks to nova and JP for putting this together, it's a lot of work.

Let's do this thing right.

Last edited by Bojee; October 5th, 2004 at 06:22 PM.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished my self portrait today, but I don't know if it would be good made into a print... I don't know about that kind of stuff. Besides, I'd only want the one print, so I could maybe sell it and still have the original. (I wanna have it for my portfolio, and I know my Mom would probably be upset if I sold it before asking if she would like it... heh.) Do I post the image here? If not, who should I send it to? For now, here it is.

The photo washed it out, but colored pencil is pretty reflective, and I had to have the flash on, otherwise it came out blurry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your suppose to put up the original in a gallery, but id make some prints for yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what I’m working on, its 11 X 14 oil on canvas. This is a work in progress so crits are welcome.

| Myspace | FLICKR The hype is real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he he I would love to live in Seattle to pich in some
    portraits good job I hope all works out great for you guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think december is open at the gallery by the way.

Sapphire- Looks good, if your really set on selling prints, you should show the original and put a little sign down below that say prints for sale, originals are the best thing to show though.

Tagheuer- Good start Eli

Everybody else post some things so we have an idea what to expect.

I'll put in something along this lines

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How's everyone coming with their portraits???? Awful quiet over here.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm done, but I don't know if I could enter it in the show... I still haven't gotten a print made and have NO clue how to do that or where. and then I'd have to buy a frame for it and pay 40 bucks, and a percentage of the profit... I'm sure my drawing's not THAT good that it would sell for enough to make any kind of profit, so if somebody could help me figure out the print thing, I might enter it. Otherwise, I might have to skip out...I'm really busy these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I have to enter are the 2 self portraits I did recently and posted in my sketchbook.. I don't think they're very good, but I guess with a black frame around them they look sort of OK.. I wish I was better at making portraits.. but 2 is better than nothing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

deadline extension

hey guys,

looks like it's coming down to the wire! i'm getting pretty excited about this show myself, it'll be a good turnout if all of yall get some rad artwork in. we'll make ourselves proud

the important thing to show the board when we get these pieces together is WHAT we can do, and later get more of the same in.

SO in liew of the friday deadline and the frantickness, for those of yall who are not sure if you can have your portraits ready by friday [tomorrow], you can get them in by NEXT SATURDAY, our next meeting. if you'd STILL need some more time after that, talk to ben mauro or myself.

we can make this extension because we have two weeks to get everything together for presenting the show, but as long as we have a good idea of how many pieces we'll have, and what everybody's pieces will look like, they can be in later. also, it's important to finish with something you like and are proud to show, rather than something you'd have to rush just to get in for a deadline

also,

we may need you guys to be available after this deadline, if you are able, to help out in perhaps creating some more work in case we find ourselves needing to augment our show a little. more pieces = bigger presentation and a bigger event! ben and i have already agreed we'd 'fill in the gaps' once we get our this show approved.

thanks a lot! think every portrait another quarter in the studio piggy bank

~ laura

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweeee... I'll totally work on 'em this sunday. I'll atleast get one done that I like for the meet after next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.