Thanks

The Dark Tower / Michael Whelan Illustrations

Well, I guess this is a book but.. I'll put it in this section anyway.

I read the first book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series in 1988 or '89 and am very pleased that the final book is finished. It will be released next week as a matter of fact

Anyway, I was browsing over at thedarktower.net and came across the illustrations that Michael Whelan did for this last book. I thought maybe some of you fine folks at ca might enjoy them as much as I do.

cover

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Color Plate Link

Appendix

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow I need to read these books now. Those illustrations are HOT AND WILD. The picture of the three guys all the same is Stephen King. Is it supposed to illustrate a scene of the book? That would be cool if the artist used Stephen King's likeness as one (or three) of the characters.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Actually, Stephen King did appear as a character in the previous book (not as weird or bad as it might sound. The story is partly about multiple universes and, to use a term from one of his other books, "twinners" from those worlds). Kind of a small role, but important. I am not sure what his role will be in the latest release.

I'll tell you though, all of the portraits of Roland (the main Gunslinger character) look like Michael Whelan to me. I think he used himself as the model...

Give the books a try. It is a great story..
    Last edited by oglzogl; September 17th, 2004 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    I'm glad he did the illustrations for the final book, those pics you posted look a whole lot better than the ones in The Wolves of the Calla, which I'm still reading. The Wolves Ills. just seem off in their proportions and the poses are so stiff. Not sure who did them but there's definate room for improvement. Love the books, they're a great inspiration for some neat illustrations if anybody's looking for subject matter.

Thanks

Dt6

Bernie Wrightson did the illos for Wolves of the Calla. He is a kick ass artist from the mid-70's or so. Primarily a horror artist, but well known for comics as well. To see his true talent, check out "A Look Back", his GREAT art book if you can find it. I had to mail order mine. His "Frankenstein" illustrations are awe inspiring.
    Like Duncan, however, I was not overly impressed by the illos for Dark Tower 6. Bernie has always been a master with b/w, but his color work has never cought up. Plus, the general feel of the illustrations just didn't do justice to the story. I hate to rain on Bernie, but they just weren't there.
    I am going to hold out to look at MW's illos for DT7 until I buy the book. I want the full effect when I read the novel. It is proper that he did this book, since he did the first one way back. My favorite of the DT artists was Ned Dameron, though his figures were not entirely correct. Still, his mood fit the narrative well. Phil Hale kicked ass also, but his recent works are MUCH more impressive.

Anyway, can't wait to read the final installment. This is endgame, folks. ANYTHING can happen...

Predictions, anyone?

I am expecting that Jake, and possibly Eddie will be the only ones to survive. Sadly, I expect Roland may never see the tower.

Well, enjoy the read!

Later,

W

Thanks
    I was about to say, I like the stuff phil hale did better than the whelan stuff.. seemed to be more edgy. Bernie Wrightson is awesome, but I agree he should have done b/w illustrations instead of colors..

Thanks
    Finally! An illustration that looks like the Roland I imagine!

I cringed everytime Roland appeared in an illustration in Wolves of the Calla. There wasn't an ounce of badass to him in those. Although I quite liked the Father Callahan illustrations. He got him dead on in my mind.

I am so anxious to read the Dark Tower. It's going to be such a bittersweet experience. I can't believe it's over!

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    I agree completely. I am now a little ways into the book, and fighting the urge to plow through to see how it all ends. I really don't want to finish it, because it will be all over.

But, of course, I will.

Everything moves on.

W

Thanks
    Wheland was one the reasons I decided to take the leap into the world of illustration. He also did illos for the first book as well so anyone interseted should check those out! I've had the pleasure of being able to see the last color plate(red-robed figure) in person and, as is the case, with much artwork you really have to see the originals for themselves.

I feel like an idiot since the last time I talked to Michael I forgot to ask when the book was going released, so this is a first for me seeing the project in its entirety.

Its entirely possible he used himself as a model since he has done this on previous paintings.

Thanks
    Hmmm. Over halfway through the book now, and it seems my powers of prediction are flawed...

I am enjoying coming across each illustration as I read...yes, I have been able to restrain myself from looking ahead to see the illos!

Whelan has done a fine job, as I expected.

Later,

W