Thanks

Sadhashiva - Color & Light 1.1

This assignment was very interesting. I learnt a lot about the form of light. This is a mid key , i just used one table lamp and covered the windows to make sure there is no other light source . There is a distinctive difference between the mass light and the mass shadow . when the form of the light turns near the nose there is the core shadow . The cast shadow also has the core shadow near the neck and the nose . There is more detail in the direction of the light and less detail in the shadow area . The primary emphasis is on the eyes .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,744 Times in 4,647 Posts
    You have a lot of sort of hard edges taking away from your eyes. Also your nose feels like the whole length is on one plane, a bit of variation in tone would help shape it better.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    when artists are at this phase of softness in the works you can find answers from the following masters. please google to see. rembrandt is great for lost edges and dark backgrounds. sargent and velasquez are both adept at that as well.

Increasing some edge sharpness can help quite a bit...unless it is a deliberate mood choice like with eugene carriere. he is worth a look too. really moody beautiful stuff.

jm

Thanks
    The contrast you have here is really really good! I like how it goes from a black background to a super bright highlight. The softness of the background works well for helping the eyes pop, but I would suggest working on putting some texture in the skin and refining the edges so the entire face doesn't seem washed out. The attention to detail in the eyes is great! I find it especially hard to draw eyes in darkness for some reason, but you nailed it!