Thanks

Pteranodon! Any thoughts appreciated.

This is my most finished piece in a while and I was wondering what people had to say about it? I know in particular the anatomy is kinda Liefelded, I kinda spazzed and just made up the pose and then somehow became commited to it. Now I can't quite see what exactly is wrong with it but it feels off.

I guess I would like to know why it doesn't feel very dynamic either, is it just composition? something I struggle with. Thanks anyone!
    Pteranodon! Any thoughts appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My critique relates to the man. I don't really know enough about what pteradon's are supposed to look like, but I think yours looks good The issue is though, that the man seems almost part of a different painting. I can't see a way in which he is seated on the pteradon, it perhaps looks as though his body is cut off at the waist and attached that way. If he is meant to be lying down on it, I would make this more clear by putting him further down it's back, and reducing the angle he is at. Currently it looks as if if he were to lie down he would be lying over the pteradons neck. And it would be very uncomfortable to be in that position if his legs were along it's back.
    I would advise getting reference of people on horses for a sitting up position, and perhaps superbike riders for a more laying down one. This may require you to change your composition.
    Anyway, keep it up man, your painting style is very nice, and the piece is overall pretty cool
    'The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.' Isaac Asimov
    My Sketchbook
    Critiques and Comments are very much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks man You're right that it is a problem. I think I had trouble because the wings attach all the way back along the body, so there's nowhere for him to put his legs down. He has to be lying down on his belly. But then I couldn't shoehorn in the corny pose so I kind of spazzed out and came up with like a Frazetta push-up or something. I'm imagining that he at least has some stirrups back there? I don't know.

I'll see if I can play with it, the superbike idea was a good one because that's way closer to what he would have to use. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Thanks
    My 1st thought - no way can that bird carry that big of a person!! Then I corrected myself on the bird thing lol. I'd make the dude about half the size he is now, or maybe just make the wings bigger. But it is a really cool image! Oh, and he could be kneeling on its back.
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    ^ That's a good point, he could be kneeling. I think you would still need to adjust the pose a little though, so you could see a bit more of the legs?
    'The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.' Isaac Asimov
    My Sketchbook
    Critiques and Comments are very much appreciated!