Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FAKE Names

Thanks

FAKE Names

I don't understand why so many great artists go by some sort of nick name instead of their own in this industry? Wouldn't artists want to be recognized for their work? For example, WTF is Puddnheads real name?? Nox? Come on you guys! Why would you not use your real name? We all want to know who that amazing artist is! Why put up a mask?

I can understand when using forums on the web. But on your own website? Signing your own work? I just don't get it.

Please explain to me why you don't want the world to know who the great artist REALLY is?
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Puddnhead is pretty well recognized under his real name also.

Thanks
    yep, even I know it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    When I become a professional, I'm going to be known by a symbol. Then I'm going to get rid of the symbol and call myself "The artist formally known by that weird symbol...You know."

Thanks
    To me it's boring having the first name as another person, but with an alias you don't have to worry much, cause you can add numbers to your alias. I like my alias better than my actual real name. Think about this I've met about 4 different Mikes over the sketch meeting, and it's hard to say "hey Mike" without getting all their attention, but if you use their alias, the real slim shady will stand up. For my website I used my alias just because I wanted that name to be like a household name in a way, and plus it's easier to remember than my real name. It's like being a singer who has their own stage name, so I get to rock on. (Actually I should of said Hip Hop Stars)

I think the best alias is Jason Manley (who knows what his real name is)......
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Who would want to use a name that your parents gave you?

You had no control over that!

C'mon! Be more creative! That's what art is about!

Use an alias!

Thanks
    I think I'm leaning towards otis for my industry name =P

Thanks
    When it comes down to it, how is an online alias (other than the fact that I'm using the word alias to describe it here) any more or less valid than your birth name? Maybe these people haven't changed their names legally, but it's still part of their identity. It's pretty common in todays online world.

Besides, you are what you call yourself.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    My real name is Extreme Deathknight Von Doom, but i thought Olsen was alot cooler.

Thanks
    I think "Denart" and "Sok-n-Wet" got it real close. Signinr your first name isn't enough, soo in order to be recongnized you need to put your last name as well. But We've been doing that ever since grade school and on our taxes. This is your work, no rules, nothing. So why not have a little fun with it, and avoid putting both the first and last name and create a one name alias, like "applesauce"

Your gonna remember "Applesauce" alot more better than "Sandy Smith" and it kind of creates a little more research for your fans. "Like who the hell is this APPLESAUCE guy".
    skinns
    Skinwerks Tattoo & Design

"Use your emotions to think, but don't think with your emotions"

Thanks
    It differs with everyone, but for me its a mix of feelings of privacy, creativity, and expression. It also seems like an easy way to be someone else while not changing at all. You gain a new identity, but your personality stays.
    Ho hum!

Thanks
    I only stick with my legal name because it's easier (harder to cash checks made out to aliases), it's legal to do business that way without bothering with dba's, and because if I started using aliases I'd just confuse myself...

I only wish I had an odder name when I'm trying to get a user ID that's not taken... or when googling my name...

Thanks
    Unique names also sometimes stand out in people's mind and they remember them. I know my online name really isn't a completely different name but, I heard and instance at the company I did some freelance for the name carried it's self around the office just because people wondered what it meant.

-Joshua James Shaw aka JoshuaTheJames

Thanks
    Sedone got lucky. His name is naturally unique in American and sounds really cool.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    they are called pseudonyms right?

writers use them all the time. puddnhead uses his pseudonym as that is his commercial work. it is his legal business name as well.

artists use them for the same reasons that writers do often times. as far as nox...i call him nox..not bruno...its just what i call him. when clients request his work they ask for nox..not bruno. there is nothing hindering him by using a pseudonym.

j

Thanks
    i think its cool that ppl use aliases, makes them "cool"
    Last edited by arghmisfit; September 16th, 2004 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    nicolas bouvier is a famous swiss writer who died in 2002. a guy who had an enormous talent, he was also .... a photograph and an illustrator, in his spare time. in other words, the place was already taken...

in france, having that name, would be like being called john smith or peter brown in the states.

i didn't have the choice, did i?

sparth

Thanks
    Dude..i knew your real name the whole time in Austin but i kept callin you Sparth, i just felt compelled to...

Thanks
    I think it would be important to not have a pseudonym that people would be embarrassed to say, like "Um . . . can I speak to Fluffybunnykins please?"
    I guess if you're really famous, no one will care what your pseudonym is. They will just identify it with you and your work.

emily

Thanks
    Because my real name is....

Doodle Von Taintstain.

This is just an alias i used for online gaming...havent put much thought to a real life alias, i just use all 3 names for art referencing
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSEN
    My real name is Extreme Deathknight Von Doom, but i thought Olsen was alot cooler.

Thanks
    hmm i personally don't mind pseudonyms...but i do like the know people's real names... i mean like with anrew jones, i think i'd rather call him andrew than android, just my preference, but then there's justin kaufmann (el coro) and alot of people call him cor kaufmann...i don't get it

but yea to me pseudonyms can seem a little impersonal but if people wish to go byt them then more power to 'em

Thanks
    as an artist, i don't make an impression much, in fact as person, i tend to not make an impression, that is why i grow out my afro from time to time, to stick out and be remebered, or at least noticed a tiny bit. then i will cut it off and blend back into anonyminity (sp?).

but more to the point, i don't put much effort into what other people think of me as an artist, so pseudonym or no pseudonym, it can be just how i feel that day.
    i actually got paid to create a 3d model of human poo once. well actualy, i am on my (t)3rd (lol, i kill myself...) iteration, so like i got paid 3x. I should just go ahead and create some reference. this itshay is kiling me...

Thanks
    I tell everyone around me that my official title is:

Lord of the Underkingdom, ruler of all that I survey!!! But that they can just call me Lord for short.
    (Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    Somewhat strangely, I've never had a nickname of any kind. And for some reason, I've long been compelled to have all of my varions online nicks be my own name, or some easy to recognize derivation of my name (ie. Pganguly, P_Ganguly, etc.). For a time during the beginning 2 years of high school, my IM name was SooperMunky, but I got pretty tired of that.

I suppose that's in part due to the fact that among my friends, and even those with whom I'm loosely acquainted, my own name is something of a trademark, just because it's so peculiar. Which accompanied by my personality and appearance, I send to be pretty memorable, just based on my own merits.

Obviously, due to the fact that 'Paul' is by no means unusual, I'll explain why my last name is:

Ganguly is a shortened form of 'Gangopadhayaya' (Indian) which was the name my mother (Italian, German, Englsh *white*) got when she married my brother's father, who was from Calcutta. Now, when my brother's were about 5 & 6, my mother and 'step father' separated, and he moved elsewhere. When my mother had me, when my brother's were about 7 & 8. Given that her divorce was still pending, she still had my step father's last name, from her marriage. Thus, as she was not married to my father, the option arose for my last name to be his (Sardano) or her own current last name, being Ganguly.

So, given that my father had asserted sometime before my birth that he had no intention of having anything to do with me, I took my mother's current name, Ganguly.

SO, for some reason, as I went through school, and specifically from 9-12th grades, I began to be called by either both my first and last names, or just my last name. Furthermore, I'm (in analog) known for various humerous exploits, and/or am somewhat charismatic or funny, such that I have built up a reputation, attached to the name 'Paul Ganguly' (I know, it's ridiculous for someone to declare these things about themselves, but whatever)

Furthermore, I have developed the unintentional habit of greeting, or striking up conversations with people who I know that I know, or have heard of, through mutual friends or acquaintances, but manage not to introduce myself at all during said conversation. Thus, they don't know till well after the fact, upon telling someone else of the previous conversation that they had met *the legendary* Paul Ganguly.

Which I find humerous, for no apparent reason.

I do think that Pen Names, Pseudonyms, and Nicks are fun, but for my own purposes, I've never found one that's particularly 'special' enough so as to warrant me calling myself that. My appearance is, for some reason, despite being a doughey white guy, somewhat memorable enough to warrant people remembering me.

Also, as far as my family goes, me and my brothers are quite alike, in our sense of humor and physical appearance (despite vastly different skin tones) that we have garnered somewhat parallel reputations for some reason, despite the fact that they're all 7 or so years older than me, such that within my generation, and among our respective circles of friends (which are different generations of siblings within the same families, more or less) there is a certain 'mystique' surrounding the meeting of *a Ganguly*. This is only of any importance in Rochester, because aside from myself, and my brothers, there is only one other family of Ganguly's in Rochester, and they don't have any kids who live here.

What can I say, Rochester's not the most exciting town around, but it's my town, and I like it.

PS. Isn't Puddnhead Kevin Llewellyn's pseudonym? If not, I'm horribly confused.
    Last edited by PaulGanguly; September 17th, 2004 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    I hope that one day I score some work under this name, that would be rad.

Thanks
    I also don't know why people tend to use some silly nicknames instead of using their real names...

Fozzybar

Thanks
    If nothing else, it sets you apart. Having a peculiar nickname, that is.

I've never really needed help with that matter.

Thanks
    People tend to put you in boxes and if you are in a labelled box it's sometimes hard to get accepted when trying a new direction for yourself cause it might not be what they expected.So with pseudonyms it's easy to choose just a pseudonym for a new try .

p.s. also the say you have power over someone if you know his real name
    All our time has come Here but now they're gone...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Prometheus is kinda 'trying to be cool'-lame and most people can't spell it. I picked it back in 93.

I should probably use Arne instead, it's 4 letter and I don't think it's used by any famous artist.

arne.com is squatted, but unused
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast