asian cinema

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: asian cinema

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

asian cinema

recently, i ve been watching alot of movies from asia, and i m liking them alot. i just saw ichi the killer and zatoichi the other day. ichi the killer is an ultraviolent yakuza movie from japan. it has to be one of the coolest movies i have ever seen. the only thing i dont understand is the ending. has anyone else seen this? can someone explain the ending to me?
    zatoichi (with takeshi kitano) is really cool too. its about a blind samurai who kills a bunch of gangs that are terrorizing small villages. it also has a very weird ending, where the entire cast burst into dance out of nowhere.
    i got a chance to see memories of murder(korean) over the summer, while i was in korea. that has to be one of the best crime dramas i've seen in a while.

anyone have any recommendations on movies to watch?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool... I've been watching a lot of asian stuff lately to. The latest is a korean wuchu movie called Bichunmoo. It was really good. You should take a look at it. It's in the same style as Crouching tiger...

I saw Zatoichi recently to. It was good, but it felt like kitano tried to be a bit over poetic.

And you've got to see Battle Royale if you haven't seen it already
    and take a look at the thai movie Bangrajan too...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can't go wrong with any of the Zatoitchi fims. There were 26 of them. They're on every Saturday morning on IFC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you think the ending of Zaitochi was weird, wait until you see India's movies....lol...non stop singing and dancing frenzy. I have Ichi the Killer, but haven't watched it yet....just like the other dozens of movies I have.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like alot of Asian movies too -- one of my favorites is Dark Water (aka: "Honogurai mizu no soko kara") .. it's by the same director who did the original "Ringu" movie in Japan. I don't think the movie is available on DVD in the US yet.. I saw it during a film festival a few years ago and it really scared me.. I like horror movies alot, but most of them are not really scary.. this one is.

Also, if you want to see something really weird, rent "Happiness of the Katakuris" (aka: "Katakuri-ke no kôfuku").. it's by the same director as Ichi the Killer, but it's WAY different.. it's a zombie musical basically.

Oh and one more I'd recomend: Uzumaki. Just rent and you'll see what I mean..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet recomendations, guys. thanks...
    eliwolff - zombie musical, what a great combination. i saw the cover of the dvd, it looks like the sound of music. i'm looking for that one now.
    Sok N. Wett - i m familiar with the dancing in Indian movies. bollywood is dope. they just remake american movies but with indian actors and dancing.
    Exo - i saw that there are alot of zatoichi movies, got to check out the rest.
    al-x - thanks man, i ll have to check out those movies. i saw battle royale 1 and 2 not too long ago. 1 is alot better than 2.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.