Thanks

Exclamation Photoshop colour management help, please!

Recently, I've gotten repeated complaints that work delievered is appearing far, far too dark to my clients. However on my machine the colours look fine, things are easily seen and, basically, it all looks good.

However, this seems not to be the reality of the situation. I was wondering if someone could help me get my colour settings in photoshop (which is where I export all my digital work from) to mesh with what they should be.

I just went in and did some futzing around to see if I could eyeball it, but everything I did ended up looking like hell on existing pieces, so I'm holding off on doing anything final until I can some feedback.

The odd thing about this is that if I bring something into photoshop that someone else has done, like if I open a photo, painting reference, whatever, it looks fine. Even the stuff that I have saved and open up looks fine.

I'm not understanding what the problem is, other than *my* colour work looks too dark on other people's machines apparently. This holds true regardless of what type of file I save it as...

Thanks iin advance for the help.
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I had the same problem a couple of years back. When I worked at a computer game company where we did all our graphics in the dark. Which in return when you looked at them in normal lighting they were extremely dark. I have since aquired more lighting on my desk. That was the only thing that I found useful.

The other that I did notice is that the older monitors that some of the clients had were SHIT, and it was mainly the clients fault.

Have you tried printing something to see the results?
    skinns
    Skinwerks Tattoo & Design

"Use your emotions to think, but don't think with your emotions"

Thanks
    skinns idea of having a nice lit area, would probably help if you have crappy lighting. But coincidentally, my color theory teacher gave a lecture on this. He said to calibrate your monitor and when you get to the setting that has the little mountain landscape, you have a scale that goes up to 9800 or 9300 k(kelvin). Set it to around 7000. Things will look warmer, and a bit fuzzier, but you get used to it in like 5 minutes. Plus your colors are more acurate! He says that because we favor blue (those of us that live on the west side of thew world) and brighter colors, our monitors have too much blue and the warm colors arent as warm as they cood be. I changed it and it does help a lot. Give it a try!

He also said to change the color prefs in ps to adobe 1998. These are more acurate. lemme know if this works out!

-ink
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Weird I'm having the same problem...I was working on a logo and it was a bright red hues and just normal colors...after I saved the picture and preview it, the red hues was dark on the areas with the details...I had to do a screenshot of my picture just to get it to hold the true colors.
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Just printed a copy, and it came out looking about the way I want it too, taking into account that my printer is running out of ink at the moment But other than that it's acceptable -- some of the colours aren't quite as strong as I would like, but again I think that's more of a printer issue.

I'm pretty sure that the current client to come back with the complaint has a current monitor - they're a game developer so I would be surprised if they didn't.

Does anyone know what the standard colour management setting in photoshop is? Mine is set to custom at the moment and I'm wondering if that may not be part of the root problem.

Incidently, I tend to work in the evening as well, but when I view pics in daylight (like now) they still look the way I want them too...

Thanks
    I.Was.Ink & Sok N Wet, you guys must have posted right when I did. Ink, thanks. I'll give that a go.

Cheers,
    ~S

Thanks
    I just had the same problem. I found that it was my color profile in photoshop. I had a custom setting as well. For some reason I had it set for a 20% dot gain. I've switched back to the default settings and everything if far more accurate when printed as well as when shown on other computers.

Photoshop embedds these color profiles in the files, that's probably why other files you didn't create with your computer looked fine.

If you recalibrate your monitor and switch to photoshops default settings I think that might fix your problem. Something to try anyway.
    (Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    LOL...I looked at the time and all three of us was posting. I still have my dark red hues logo, funny thing is if I take that same jpeg and open it up to photoshop.....it looks normal! What gives is there something that Photoshop did or Photoshop has it's own lighting compared to a browser viewing it?
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Hey Mr. Pale,

Thanks. This may sound lame, but would you mind posting a screen shot of your default settings? I've got, like what, five defaults and I'm not sure which one to use...

Or just tell me which one if you have several different options. I'm on PS7, btw.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Can't seem to manage to get a screen shot (Damn this computer), but if you go to the edit menu choose color setting. In the drop down settings menu, I've got "photoshop 5 default spaces" Then make sure everything is set at preserving embedded profiles in the color management section, You should be okay. When you open old files it will give you a warning that it has a different color profile and ask you what to do about it.

Color management is a pain in the but, If you really want to get into it and optomize everything I recommend reading up on it in your manual and maybe contacting adobe. They have a lot of articles there that can help you.

Sometimes I don't think it's worth it, becaus you have no idea what the settings that your client has, choosing the default and making sure your monitor is accurate seams like the safest way to deal with a variety of situations out there. Besides whoever prints your work is going to change things so you better send a hard copy with every job you do to cover your but.

I was a prepress graphic artist for a long time, we had this problem happen all the time with clients files.

Just trying to help, of course I could always be wrong.
    Last edited by Mr. Pale; September 17th, 2004 at 12:09 PM.
    (Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    All : you also might be interested in the little application called "Powerstrip". It's very handy to calibrate your monitor when you're picky about them and don't want to deal with photoshop calibration tools.