Art: Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    killing.people: love the loose way you work....nice sketches....

krispee

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    long time no post. i keep thinking, "oh... my next page will be filled with nothing but awesome figures from my imagination" but it never happens

i do think i'm getting a bit better, but hands are still my enemy.

*note to self: if you're practicing hands, you better work bigger and looser.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedog
    *note to self: if you're practicing hands, you better work bigger and looser.
    So those are some hand studies?? o_O

Good stuff like always.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hoy

Hi I'm new here, and I've been lurking around this forum for like a week without posting a single thing ;( so I got some stuff together to post cuz I've been really getting into this thread.

Some feedback would be nice, and some redlines would be good too Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Kman.; February 8th, 2005 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more to come
    no reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Underlying skeleton, muscles

Great thread about things that plague us all, at one time or another.

Van, and maybe others, wanted a resource that shows how the skeleton underneath relates to the finished drawing.

See "Drawing the Living Figure" by Joseph Sheppard. Life drawings of women and men in a variety of poses and view positions (front, side, etc.) with accompanying skeleton and muscle diagrams.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. This be my first post to the forums. For some reason i went straight to this thread, and decided to get stuck in straight away.

Non referenced study from a few minutes ago:

I actually surprised myself with this.. I don't draw humans. There are only two finished human pieces in my gallery, one portrait and one showing little anatomy. Both heavily reliant on references.
    A couple of months ago i decided i would learn to draw humans, so since then i've been scribbling from photos/direct observation (not a lot recently, mind you) and i read through some anatomy class type sites in December. I also started a life-drawing class at my college recently, but i've only had 5 or so classes so far.
    But well, this is the result of all that i guess.
    There are still a lot of mistakes i'm sure, like various parts being too long (one leg longer than the other?), the hand's kinda small, and i'm not sure about the upper torso area/shoulders, and where her left arm connects.
    The thing is, i didn't think about this as i drew it, didn't test out the pose at all, just let my hand draw what it wanted to as it came to each part.
    I'm sure it could be better if i'd checked how the weight works and the angles of the body when you're sat like that.

Anyway, i've typed more than i've drawn here. x.x

The second was done a while ago (pre life-drawing classes). Started out as just a non-referenced study, turned into a Kroenen-ish character wielding twirly swords.

I can see a lot of things wrong with this now, such as the torso being too long, the upper arm is a bit hit-and-miss, the legs are.. off. Also, as you can see, i had a bit of trouble deciding where to put that other arm, heh.
    Any other pointers/draw-overs would be extremely helpful as i think i want to go somewhere with this drawing. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been trying to draw a pose with reference, and then close the reference and draw it from memory. I have no idea if it helps, but in theory it should.

-Bonedog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice idea, Bonedog. Reminds me of kids being taught to 'Look, Cover, Write and Check' when learning spellings.
    I might try it myself. :]

I can't see much off with the non-referenced versions, appart from the one on the top right missing some definition of the shoulder blades, the spine not being curved enough, and the shoulders needing to be a tad wider. But you can easily see this stuff yourself by looking at your original referenced verisons. The other two are very accurate. Good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a very good idea bonedog I'll try that later (I can't believe I haven't tought about it). It's a great way to learn from your mistakes (what you think you know) and gain a better understanding of the human anatomy (what you ignore or forgot).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff everybody!

I think I'll start trying to study anatomy as well.
    I'm just not sure if I'm ready ... I struggle too much with proportions.

Here are some done from the mind ... many obvious mistakes.
    I guess I should redraw the really messed up ones. Maybe I will do that later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pesmerga, Resist: Thanks Also see my suggestion to Signature for another related activity that might help.

Signature: Those are pretty nice overall. I agree that it's a good idea to go back over your drawings with a red pencil or something a day or so later and see what things you can improve on. Or, if you're really focused on a specific area, like feet for instance, then it's not a bad idea to do some foot studies and then go back and try your best to fix the feet on your drawings. In fact, that's something I'll probably be doing soon. Study proportion, but don't worry about it. That's how things work... you study them, and you study them, and they just gradually become a part of your work without your conscious effort. Lastly, as you learn and gain knowledge, always remember that anatomical details come after gesture in a drawing.

-Bonedog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to comment on Mentler's assertion about old masters and models in the beginning of this thread:

These people never believe you when you tell them most of the old masters did not need models and did much of the works without models at all.
    Well, it depends on the old master. . . Rembrandt certainly used models, often his wife, Saskia or housekeeper or lover, and he ran a school for which we have many sketches by the master and students of models, including sketches of the artist and students drawing from life. Velazquez was said to not be comfortable drawing and painting from his head.

I think it also depends on about when in their careers we are talking: certainly as students they used models, as well as much, much copying of prints, casts, sculptures and sketches by their teachers, but I have seen many sketches which were from life. In order to learn the anatomy, that is, the changes in anatomy as the figure moves, models would have been essential. Later, when they had mastered the figure, it would have been less important.

Some artists would set up minature tableaux, like a tiny theater with wax or clay figures draped for clothing with lighting, backgrounds, etc. and used it to get the general light right. Not a bad idea.

I don't think the masters were really any different from artists today, except in that they did not have the abundance of reference material, communication, etc. They probably welcomed the opportunity to sharpen their figure drawing skills by using models, but were good enough at some point in their careers to do it without reference. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Martín de Madrid
    Publisher
    Old Masters' Painting Techniques Newsletter
    Subscribe to the OLD MASTERS' PAINTING TECHNIQUES NEWSLETTER
    Take the Pinup Survey HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done with more "feeling" and less "knowledge" (from my sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to personally thank you all for doing this I had gotten out of art for a bit and kinda lost touch with my art this thread is a big help and I can't wait to get good enough to show off my work thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Hey all Artists...

i'm new in concept art....and i decided to post my first thread here cause i like the way ur dealing with drawings....anyway there is wonderful sketches here (real artists) ..i also like to share comments...and have comments on my work...here r my sketches as u see mostly r some poses...some with little details other without but my main goal is gesture...than i will plan to study anatomy...so like to hear ur comments...

a young night....

killer but instructive...

my guardian angel..
    Thx and cheers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really luv this thread, very resourceful. great job. well, i've been out of toudh with fiqure frawing for a while ,about a year, been concentrating on digital coloring. well i did these recently.
    i don't thing her foot is quite right, happy with the rest of her though.
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/16345616/

this one i'm conteent with. the face could be better.
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/16345759/

One eye sees, the other feels.
    ---Paul Klee
    one artist studio
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this thread is awesome, as soon as I get some sketches done Ill b eusre to post!

Some drawings:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new to this forum - but here I go with a drawing by me - made in photoshop WITHOUT reference - hope to get some constructive critique on this:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scope: welcome to CA

Very nice drawing. I like the pose but I can't help feeling bad for her right leg (looks broken ) still a very good piece.

I just noticed her wings, lol. so she's a faery? *pops my bubble* well... I just hope it'll in there

Ranimator: I really like your angel and that harry potter-like knight.

I got like 100 sketches just waiting to be scanned...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my latest attempt:

Can anyone correct me before I go any further. The scanner did a bad job... I tried to fix it in vain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess I've finally got something to post here:

What I'm most interested in is how well I got the line definition on the skin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi - i also wanted to post something - interesting thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My very first post here!

Hello to all. I joined this forum specifically because of this thread. I've been away from drawing for two years until the past two weeks. I've found that I need a docking bay to get my drawing juices flowing again. I think this forum is my new harbour. So here it goes, this is my 2 minute sketch based off of Tesuo's washing lady. Have at it!! The hand on the breast is screwy and that foot needs something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im a bit new to the forum and just found this thread. It is so helpful and i hope to have a drawing of mine up so you guys can shread it with critiques. If anyone saw my one drawing in the Helpful critiques forum you'd understand me completely. I have a proportion problem...

Im only halfway through the first page and ive already learned so much!

hopefully you might be able to help! thanks.

Why you maternal coupling son of a female dog!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel that one of the weaknesses with a lot of the drawings that I see is that they're lacking structure. If you know 3D then I'd compare it to trying to use a bump map to make up for a lack of geometry.

-Bonedog

Last edited by bonedog; April 9th, 2005 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey peeps, great thread, heres some I did the past couple of days. Theres a bunch of issues but let me know what you guys think.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    might as well through up SJ's re-draw:

issues in the leg area...
    *practice more*

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

No stuff(drawings) to post here, but this thread is awesome. I figure it's a great place for me to ask some long-standing and bothersome questions I've had.

I've been studying muscular and skeletal anatomy for awhile now. I'd call myself fairly competent in that area, but far from professional.

My problem is exactly what this thread is about. I can't just draw from memory, and my access to models is limited, :/

The main things I have trouble with:

The different angles. Well, not so much that as how the muscles change when they move. Main problems in this area are the neck and trapezius.

Coming up with a pose!!!
    I find myself creatively dead, pining for those days in middle-school when I'd pump out drawings like crazy. Sure, they sucked, but they were full of ideas and everything. These days I'm lucky to think of a single pose from my head without whipping out some action figures.
    Any ideas on inspiration and setting myself into the "creative" mode. I've tried R-Brain exercises, but they seem to just help mu draw from examples and not create things on my own.

BTW, to the fellow who started this thread, you're a godsend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you bring up some great questions and points and I'm very curious to know what other folks think.

I have no idea what happens when I draw. Even when I have a model or a photograph I don't just draw what I see, I construct it on the page. When I don't have a model, it's even more important to construct the figure. "Drawing from memory" is a bit of a misnomer (for me, at least). "Constructing from Imagination" is more accurate.

I would master simple poses before I move onto comlex ones. Like Duh, but it's a mistake I often made (make).

The last thing I'd like to say is that all you're studying and observing and drawing combine to work in a way that isn't fully conscious nor instantaneous, but have faith that you'll improve in proportion to the work and time you put in. I still think I suck, but certainly not as much as I used to

Oh, and the really last thing is refinement. Do thumbnails... and look through your old drawings. Pick a drawing you think is OK and then make it better.

If you have a problem with shoulder blades then consider yourself lucky because you know what to study and practice.

Good Luck,
    Bonedog

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 162