Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    This was a pencil doodle cleaned up in photoshop, the guy was originally a big blob that probably had the inital expression of the pose, but needed a lot of cleaning up. I used the cranial index, or tried to.

I tried painting it with realistic lighting, in grayscale. Lighting the characters was quite hard.. I had this whole Keith Parkinson style painting in my mind.. always try things too complicated I feel I lost the expression (if there was any heh) after painting it..

Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread

@Skuli: that's not bad at all, I'd say concentrate on the legs for now, they dont have the same definition that you put inthe upper body.

"Pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, thinking about it is hard."
    digital paintings
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    thanks for the comment fab
    I think my next stop will be arms and legs, still haven't done any anatomy studies for them :/

Sketchbook

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Dali

Thanks
    hey ratatouille - thx for the sketch. I'll surely try to take on yours as soon as i get home. (too bizi at the office now)
    Verry informative. Kiss!

Thanks
    Finally, some people contribute! I thought this thread was dying

Yo, ratatouille. I like the pose of your first one.

Keep practicing skuli, you're getting the hang of it.

Here's a few sketchie poses I'm working on:

Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread

Last edited by Pesmerga; November 11th, 2004 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ratatouille
    quickly.. i was loose on the proportions.. i'm afraid they may not be that accurate. i thought your poses were a bit stiff and awkward so reposed a bit. i wasn't quite sure what was going on.. i assume the female used some sort of power w/ her upraised hand to knock down the male. in the female pose i found the side torso combined w/ the forward hip a bit awkward and weak looking w/ her being in the position of power, i feel sideways is better (first go on the upper right, both sideways drawn over yours). also i thought it was odd for her to be on her toes as it doesn't exert much power.
    i like the climbing skeleton except i would make the arms the proportional length.

for the falling guy, i would think about unbalance of weight, angle of hips and torso, compensation by arms and legs. i don't pretend to be knowledgeable in any of this, especially in specifics of anatomy, muscles and bones though, because i'm not! so take any of my advice w/ a grain of salt =)
    oh and he should probably be moved back because either i've made them too big or something, and now they seem a bit too close. hmm, and his right arm maybe should be flailing more than i've made it.

cheers
    I agree the upper/lower body of the woman looks awkward and your full 3/4 pose looks great, more natural. Also I really like how she turns her back to the guy, thus making a separation from left to right, I like it! And yeah, she uses some sort of geeky rpg magic stuff. Thinking of it now , I should have made it just blinding light and the guy covering his eyes and dropping his weapon and the legs bent and halfway kneeling to the floor.

For the woman I didnt even think of the pose in regard to her position of 'power', good point.

I like what you did with the guys's left leg, yours appear as if he was running towards her before being 'stunned'. Also the raised right foot is a good idea, it does look a bit awkward in my drawing that his whole body is pushed back with one foot sticking to the ground.

Thank you!

"Pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, thinking about it is hard."
    digital paintings

Thanks
    fresh off the scanner...

Thanks
    You have some cool poses there. I don't think it's possible to bend like that (I'm talking about the bodom right pose) and that chick just next to her has some weird legs. Other than that, I can't say much because you're obviously better than me at this.

I'll show some new ones soon. (Hopefully)

Thanks
    Pesmerga, women are much more flexible in the hip-joints than men. Even I can still do that and I'm 38!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Hum... I think you're a little late. Chris already corrected his piece

http://www.chrisjanderson.com/Forumi...sittingfix.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tler/chris.jpg

Thanks
    Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. What a great topic!

I immediately went into several of my sketchbooks and scanned a few of my figurative sketches that I had invented from memory. These were the ones that turned out well. As far as the flops: no one get to see those

Just a quick thought about the topic: while many of the artists who posted before me put a lot of effort into revising their drawings for anatomical accuracy, I would argue that the only real way to achieve this is to work from the live model or photos. This is especially true when you find yourself struggling with a part of the figure that you can't quite visualize from memory. The late great Jack Kirby demonstrated that if you are going to invent the figure completely out of your head, you can give yourself the license to invent some of your own anatomy, as long as the end result works for its intended use.

That said, here are my contributions, done while watching TV, on vacation or just in a quiet moment:

I left the construction lines in the drawing below just because I liked the way they looked:

Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread

The lion below didn't turn out so good but the figure isn't bad:

A quick example of a made-up head:

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Welcome to CA dude.

I like the top right one and the Fighting Lion looks cool as well.

Here's a few giant thumbs o mine:

I'll try these two again:

Last edited by Pesmerga; November 11th, 2004 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    permerga: hope you don`t mind but i had a quick sketchover of your girl......

sorry it`s a bit scrappy but i don`t have much time to spend on these things....i`ll see if i can work it more later.......by my own reckoning the legs aren`t long enough there lol....but you get the drift.....head was also too small and don`t forget to give her some neck.....the right calf was also too short....but the perspective lines were good.....i`ve just tried to follow them through a bit more

figure2: glad you could make it, although most of us original ones never seem to make it here now......you`re right of course, if you really want to study the human body you have to go to the source, life drawing, anatomy study etc.....but i`ve also noticed a crazy thing, the brain is constantly comparing things, always scanning and comparing....and that works for the artist....here, if you can just get a sketch out you can then start sketching over it, you`re comparing the first sketch with the second, seeing the mistakes and altering them.......doing this over and over until it`s right....having someone else sketchover is essentially the same thing.....
    of course, you still need the knowledge in your head.....

anyway, hope that`s food for thought....throwing stuff out here....

krispee

Thanks
    Why would I mind? I see your point.

I just noticed I forgot to glue some breasts onto her

jester: This one by Chris Anderson illustrates best what I'm trying to say:

I don't care how flexible you are at 38 jester. I don't think you can bend like this without breaking something:
    I just think she looks weird.

Of course, I could very well be wrong : 38? You're too old for me

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook