Art: Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more from today

Figures From Imagination 5

Character - Karine

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pesmerga: Thanks for the comments. I note with some dismay that you mentioned the torso was odd. Damn! I thought that was the strongest part

Enjoying looking at your drawings, along with all the other great stuff here...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first post here at conceptart.org. what an awesome site! here's some stuff drawn on a cintiq after wrapping up a day at work. hope you like...

baron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Floatinghead: That's a killer style you've got there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've wanted to contribute to this great thread for a while. I drew this earlier today, and im fairly pleased with the way it turned out. I think its the best anatomy i've ever drawn without reference.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The dude on the right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, awesome thread, I just spent over an hr and 3 beers reading it...good stuff...

I really like how this thread went down in the begining with the paint overs and discussion, so I'll try to revive that....I will also throw down some 2 month old stuff as i'm too inebriated to try doing any decent creations...but mark my word tomorrow after ye olde wake and bake I will produce some more... here we go....I chose MM as my victim....

haha, yeah, if you can't read my sloppy ass writing...HIS right arm, I just think there needs to be abit more clarification as to the bicep comming infront of the deltoid, same with the forearm being infront of the bicep...his other arm, like it says, i'm not sure what muscle that is, not trying to be an ass...i'm sure you were going for super defined skinny dude, but for me is still doesn't make sense....according to the knee and upper leg that leg is in a side "s" type view, but the lower leg is totally head on and foreshortened (like the other, well not totally head on, but has the same length as the other).....the other leg just kicks ass and his cawk should be larger...hee ya! anyways...here is my shite, tear it up i'll add more with the rising of the new sun....or thereabouts...

The last is really loose and just trying to realive some stiffness in my figures and sketch technique....although there is a tad of anatomy there....tomorrow I will do a one dude/dudette sketch, i've learned alot about the spine line and such as of late.....

anyways, nice stuff and I will contribute more soon...

PS: Oh yeah I can't beleive that Burne Hogarth has not been mentioned thusfar...that dude is my and THE man...take a look through dynamic anatomy or dynamic figure drawing...ALL of those are done from his imagination and the vast majority are life size....he is my ulitmate inspiration and I want to be like him someday....so for the past year i've tried to do nothing but creations from my head....but you really have to maintain some sort of balance between life studies and imaginative creations....so i've been doing alot of life studies which i've learned tons from, but nothing is like pulling something totally from your mind an having it look decent....

Last edited by Shatterdome; September 2nd, 2005 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here is the sketch I promised, took about 15-20 mins while having my first coffee. I didn't bother rendering much as i'm more concerned with movement, placement, proportions and un-stiffness right now...after scanning I see a few places I could have improved.

I must do TONS of hand and feet studies

I'd also be interested in seeing other people doing "running people" in a similar pose. Some people were doing that earlier and it's really interesting to see how different artists solve different figure drawing "problems"

So have a go at it, I dare ya!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Chris for starting this thread, and the many others that have contributed to it. I've been skimming through this forum for the past week, and this thread really caught my attention, so I registered and introduced myself.

I can't remember the last time I drew a human (especially a female) without COMPLETELY botching up the proportions in the last 10 years or so, but then again I have never tried that much. This thread has given me a lot of insight on "figure drawing from the mind". Since my characters are for a fictional game, I guess they don't have to be perfect, but I have learned a lot by reading this thread. Perhaps, my next character concept will be even better from all this insight.

Last edited by staeryatz; September 13th, 2005 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I believe many had already mentioned how awesome this thread is.
    It's definitly a big help to us, young artists.

Sadly, I do not have any artwork on hand at the moment for this thread,
    though I have a question in mind.

How should we define the center of gravity line?

I haven't really study anatomy untill recently so theres lot of things I'm totally noob about. I have always been drawing very "anime-ish" and my characters are often incorrect or too stylise for anatomy to take place. So this thread is really helping me a big deal.

Is this thread 1year old today?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MagicMan: man I love your stuff, the michelangelo study of the back is incredible! keep it up!

what a treasure this thread is!
    thank you, all that have participated!

hopefully I can do my part, too. I'm just starting out with anatomy, though.. lots of problems and lots of forms missing in my mental library

I've just read bob hale's "drawing lessons from the great masters", superb book. now I'm continuing with "master class in figure drawing" and "anatomy lessons from the great masters", they work well together. just at the beginning right now. I'm going to try to incorporate new knowledge in my daily drawings. learning the names of the bones and muscles, too. (and their position of course )

here is the first one, I'd be thankful if you could point out the ugliest mistakes!
    proportions of the limbs are way off as I noticed when I saw it on the screen after scanning.. but it's way better than my figures before I started reading the books and stuff

this thread needs more attention..
    hey, this whole section needs more attention..!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryGirl
    Nice stuff Magic Man-
    A couple more pages from me...

These are great, could you post larger versions of them?

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

This, is my first "official" post here. i introduced myself a miniute ago, but i don't think that really counts because, this is my first actual image that I'm posting.

Anyway, I've been watching this thread for a while and finally developed the courage to post my own work, so here it is. I just did some quick sketches yesterday morning, it took half an hour. I did it in painter with a Wacom tablet.

I don't know, i think ive got proportions sorted out [still needs work though], but i think the main areas that need work are the hands and muscles.

Anyway, any feed back will be greatly appreciated, and ill make efforts to do the same and post feed back for you all also.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Techniques

There are so many good drawings in this topic. I am new to the nude model drawing. When I get my scanner ill start scanning some drawings in so I can get some critique. I really want to learn more about the cross hatching drawing.. When I draw I break the figure into different 3d forms, but after that I find it hard to put detail on. With other words how does the cross hatching work? I’m always unsure of what way the lines have to go and where they have to cross..

By the way “Great topic”!!

Christian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, my contribution to this thread

Painter, 30 min.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christian0710: When you draw without reference, you draw what you know. If mentler (for example) draws an arm, he knows exactly where the bones are and where muscles start and end. you cannot put down lines confidently without having the shape of the thing you draw in mind.
    it takes years to master drawing the human body without reference. So I think there's only one answer to your question "tell me, how does it work?": learn anatomy. If you know what's what, you'll know where to put your lines. It does not matter if you crosshatch or use another shading technique.

If you just wanted to know about crosshathing, look at work from people who do it well. Try to copy their drawings and you will understand

what you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian0710
    With other words how does the cross hatching work?

Christian
    The main idea of hatch lines is to follow the form, it's the same thing as drawing planes except your putting more of the lines that are on those planes, all pointing to the same v.p. if done painstakingly. What you're doing is setting up a texture for the eye to follow. The idea of textural gradient can be applied to organize hatch lines. A truncated explanation can be found in "Drawing and Perceiving", based on theories by J.J. Gibson.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bonedog, make sure that both arms in the figure are the same size. The legs are looking good though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much, for your help. I’m going to buy one of Andrew Loomis’s books. Its called Figure Drawing For All Its Worth. It explains about everything about how the human body works. Dorian, I really like your drawings.. Is it from your fantasy? Im starting art classes at December, so then I can really learn all the shapes of the body.. When I draw a model, I try to draw the model I 3D, I think its important to know the whole form. I try not just to copy what I se. I want to make it look like there is some volume in it, be making it look 3d..

Cant wait to get a scanner..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no drawing, sorry, but:
    christian: check out bob hale's books, "drawing lessons from the great masters" and then for further reading/studies "anatomy lessons from the great masters" and "figure drawing masterclass" (or similar) loomis is good. find your teachers/books/methods, check out everything! I love hale.
    thanks, yes they're from imagination, glad you like!! sorry for spelling mistakes, times running up in inet café!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys n gals! i just re-found this thread and thought i might post some of my stuff as well this is all done without any reference.
    oh and crits are of course welcome

sawa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like a good place to get anatomy advice. Critisize, mark over, and do whatever you do. I need all of the help I can get.

Have at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To everyone in general(I hate to see this thread inactive. Even if you don't think you're doing too good, post it anyway):

Drawing "from the mind" is great, and a really good way to remember/recall what you've learned. However, if you just go at it without learning how you should you might just continue to recall partial information.

This is sort of an informal project, I guess, for any who are interested:

Find a reference photo, or figure from real life, and draw it. USE the reference. Try to make it as accurate as you can, but don't worry about perfection.

Then, put your drawing away and get rid of the reference with it. On a new sheet of paper draw the exact same pose. But do it like this:

1. Draw a stick figure.
    2. Draw a geometric/blocked figure.
    3. Draw the figure with musculature
    4. Draw the figure as it was in the reference

Each number should be a SEPARATE drawing. And you should NOT look at your reference until you've done all four drawings.

If at any time you feel you can not accurately recall what it is you need to do, then put everything away, get out your reference drawing and start again from #1. When you're able to complete all the drawings post 'em.

Okay, now, I'm not saying I know what I'm talking about, but I've picked up on some things, and I think this will be neat. Plus, I find it easier to work on something if I have some idea of my goals. I, personally, will be trying this. If my scanner doesn't work when I finish I'll get out the digicam and use that.

Oh, BTW, it doesn't have to be a full figure to start. If you're working on a specific area, just to that.

Hoping for more pics,
    -Edge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been working on mainly the anatomy of the head lately . . . "one step at a time" Here is a sketch of one. I would appreciate any crits on the anatomy, maybe a make-over from the makeup crew?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dorian- the head was a bit skewed, I think his left orbit could be up higher.
    His left lat? was a little weird. A big problem in my mind was his right hand and forearm. His fingers were way too long and the fore-shortening on his forearm seemed off like it was sagging or *snort* something. Then of course are his feet which I clearly fixed below . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thank you, sir! I can see the problem with his feet clearly now!
    the head is meant to be stylized but your lines look better, thanks!
    I'm slowly (and shyly.. ) approaching fore-shortening. its hard to figure out how much bigger something gets, when it is nearer to the viewer (e.g. the hand).
    will practice more..
    don't know too much about the bones and muscles yet, e.g. latissimus.
    will practice more. ahm..

pratice:

would be happy if you could point out landmarks that are right and those that are wrong.
    to continuously get all of them to be fixed in my head in the right spot/size/etc.!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick block figure with no refs

A non ref pose study, took about 2 hours with clean up, because I am a messy sketcher

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a couple of myself.Being, I was the reference.

This is a fansinating thread.

Last edited by Nephthys; January 11th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.
    One eye sees, the other feels.
    ---Paul Klee
    one artist studio
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i gotta try this out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 164