Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread

Thanks

Figure Drawing From The Mind, Thread

Post Your Imaginative Figure Drawings If You Got Em!

This thread is for everyone to post they're works in, about learning how to draw the human figure correctly from your mind. Life drawing is one thing, and after you master it, it becomes easy the more you do it. But drawing the human figure from your imagination, correctly, is an entirely different story. It's difficult to remember how every body part looks at every angle, and how to remember how to capture correct balance, motion and emotion in the body without the figure posing for you, giving you all the answers. So I've been studying more how the body functions, where the bone structure is, how things like knees bend and why, because over the years, even though I've had figure drawing classes before, I've forgotten a bit about the logic behind the function of human bone structure. I had tricks to how to draw the figure from my mind well, but not dramatic tricks to draw the figure well at every tiny level. Maybe some of you out there feel the same way.

I started this thread to bring back a classroom setting with other students who draw the figure. I figured this is a good way for everyone to learn MORE, FASTER, by posting figures drawn from the mind, revealing anatomy problems, and letting everyone give out solutions to how to solve the problems effeciently, so artists can finally correct them, learn more, and move on.

We can do things like circle in red where the problems are, redraw it correctly, explain why their was a anatomy issue and then have the artist do it better next time. This is for all of us who have anatomy problems here and there that we've always been so foggy on how to fix.

So, Post Your Imaginative Figure Drawings If You Got Em!

It is important that those who crit, 1) point out the anatomy problem, 2)explain the reason why there was a problem, and 3) solve the problem. Other wise, it will all be just loose comments and no explanations and learning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lukas Esch; March 27th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's one I did yesterday, it took about 45 minutes. One is how it was on 'Line' level, the other is a quick render. No reference.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris J. Anderson! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's an inbetween version before I put in the grey tone. I was trying out different techniques for the mediums look.

Thanks
    Here's another I did today. Took around 45 minutes.

Thanks
    Today, 45 minutes.

Thanks
    Here's my last one today.

Thanks
    Awesome thread idea!!

well, your artwork is better than mine, but here's a couple things i noticed in the first drawing. do you agree? is this too sloppy of a reply?? maybe when i have more time i'll try and do it better.

cheers,
    -bonedog

Thanks
    I've found the best way to exercise your imaginative figure drawing skills is to draw from that spider-man action figure that whitaker had suggested to people to buy on one of the threads. What I do is I put him in a pose and draw him in that pose from a couple slightly different angles. Then turn away from the action figure and think of another angle to draw him at and where you would be sitting at to see him at that angle. Then draw it from your mind. Then find the viewpoint that matches what you had in your mind and take either tracing paper or a red pen and draw over the drawing you just did to get the correct placement and angles of the body parts. Then you will start to see where you messed up and you start training your mind to see one pose from all angles. Its pretty much that whole draw through concept coming into play.
    As a mans power and knowledge grows so the paths he may choose lessen more and more until he can choose only and whole what he must do.
    time to follow the trend: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post1052814
    oh and heres a college buddy of mine:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75358

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avetice For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good Thread!!!

This will be helpful to lots of people ~ always have interesting debates with people who think they have to have long poses in the academic tradition to draw the figure. These people never believe you when you tell them most of the old masters did not need models and did much of the works without models at all.
    Most of want I do anymore is without a model and if I use a model it is just a starting point to deviate from.
    I will post here if you would like or do you what to keep this just your thread ~ just trying to help out it I can. Pax not Pox

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mentler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry it's still so messy, but I saw a couple more things. The shoulders should pretty much always be convex because they're the line of the trapezius which is never saggy. (in fact, most concavities on the body are not concave but the just the area in between two convex bulges). Also, the arm doesn't have much definition... it looks very rubbery. The tricep should slip under the deltoid, and the extensor carpi radialis longus and brachioradialis attach surprisingly high up on the outside of the humerus. Those two facts might help. The balance looks off to me... I can't really tell how the weight is distributed. But overall. these are great drawings... a lot more good than bad.

-Bonedog

Thanks
    wow amazing thread! I shall have to give a go at this later this evening and post an image

-TeT-
    Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks

No Reference!

I am sure many of you have seen this thread
    of some my figure studies ~ what you might have missed is that these are all done from my mind without reference.
    The basic exercise which I do pretty much everyday is to draw 3 figures (front, side and back) without looking at anything, to test and expand my knowledge of the human form. What also starts to develop via working from your mind is a very distinctive personal style ~ which is an amalgamation of all the tidbits stuck in the fibers of your brain.
    All of the figure/anatomy class demos on my site are also from memory.
    I will contribute to this thread with draw overs and one on one critiques when I have the time. The heel on the bottom view of the foot could use a little tlc.
    more of 3 figure exercise
    http://www.tsofa.com/?faculty.gallery.tt

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mentler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi all
    thought i`d throw my 2 pence in by altering the girl standing, i thought that she had some anatomy issues with her buttocks, they seemed flat...also her neck is perhaps a little too short.....and her breast a little high.....tried to alter as i could in red....
    mentler: actually a lot of the old masters did their sketches in the street, drawing ordinary people, using them for their models.....

and i did this as a digi sketch, sorry it`s all a bit rough but i`m not used to using photoshop for this sort of thing......i`m sure there`s something wrong with the position of the right hand/arm and the buttock isn`t right either....

krispee

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast