Thanks

Can a concept artist survive?

From this forum, I gathered that the life of a concept artist must be pretty difficult. My question is, how much can a concept artist expect (vs how much superstars expect) to make each year?

How much can one make at the beginning and at the high point of his career?

Is there a difference between the pay of someone working in movies as opposed to video games, and if so, by how much?

In fact, what percentage of people get to work in movies as opposed to video games(and how realistic is it to become involved with movie art)?

Is concept art an ultimate destination, or do concept artist dream of one day becoming a production designer or art director (or something else...)?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Though I am working doing concept art and storyboarding, I do not consider myself a pro, but I know at least a little bit about all this stuff...

How much you make in the beginning really depends on your skills and if you're in the right place at the right time, aka contacts. I know some people that are making $80k/yr. and this is their first job. But I also know people that are only making $45k/yr. doing the same thing.

From what I've gathered, the pay for movie work is higher, which is strange since the video game industry pulls is $1.5 billion dollars more per year than the movie industry. However, as game companies get consolidated (sierra and EA buying everything) it seems that the pay is going up a little for games. Of course this also all depends on where you work. The pay in California is higher than it is in Washington, but so is the cost of living.

You see there are a lot of variables... unfortunately I can't say how much one might make at the peak of their career... but if you're good, you expect a pretty decent wage I think...

-Daniel
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Puddnhead said he charged 1,000.00 a day when he worked in film.

If your realy good your going to make some nice bling.

Thanks
    I'm 22, just outa school with my first gig, and able to support myself extremely comfortably.... and put $ away towards savings and investments.
    Conceptual art is design, and there's lots of money in design since it is geared to help out production while cutting costs, and bulking a smoother development ride...

I dream of many things among production design, and art direction ... I hope to one day be producing and help to tweak how inefficiently games are developed to better benefit developers (more like how movies are done) and sand down some of the bumps in production...
    Concept art is my 'in' to games, so I can gain priceless expereince in the process...

Thanks
    feng charges 1600 a character sheet, but the things he designs sells more games so people are in line to pay for such talent
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    yup. if you are good you can definately support yourself. Look at me, I suck and im stilll making out pretty well, although my title is digital artist, which means i do more than just concepting for the game - i do art in the game as well.

manley said there are only 500 concept artists in the world. If that is true, you better be damn good to compete with them. If you are, then you have nothing to worrie about.
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    $1,000 a day....I"M RICH BITCH, damn that's alot of money that means i can work one day, and take a 29 day vacation how hood is that?
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    That sucks considering you would only make 12k a year.

Thanks
    yeah your right, I make less than that right now, so 12k would be more than enough for me
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    manley said there are only 500 concept artists in the world. If that is true, you better be damn good to compete with them. If you are, then you have nothing to worrie about.[/QUOTE]

500? That means then... its not at all realistic to plan to join this elite? Do you mean there are 500 concept artists in the world or 500 extremely successful concept artists in the world?
    hmm. dumb question, but how much do artist in the top rank pull in each year? How much can the average concept artist pull in each year?

From my research on this forum, it seems that the average artist can pull in 35 K each year, 50 at the top of their career. The figure might be different for those involved in film(naturally because of the limited demand)
    Last edited by Oliver23; September 15th, 2004 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    i wouldnt agree with that, its more like if your full time in games, its around 30-40 starting depending on skill, some will make more, i know a guy first job at 60k, and then their are people makin over 100k with like alot of experience and skill.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    35K when I started , 60k now and hopefully more the older I get. 8)

TV commercial storyboards pay the best. 1,800 USD a day, 7 days a week during the boom of the late 80's. And that's in bumble fuc bay, Stockholm, Sweden. I had so much work I had people hired, just doing boards.

Feng selling more games because he worked on it? Yeah, right. No, Feng can charge because he's in demand. It's all supply and demand.

Don't forget the perks. 6 weeks paided vacation (5 weeks by law in Sweden), annual art supply account, movie tickets, gym pass, education, 9-5 work days with no overtime or crunch mode, pension plan, health care, massage once a week etc.

Join the illustrators union/society/guild peps! If pro hockey players (what are they? Like 100 people) have a union... Dont' dump the rates just to get in.

Enuff preach'in,
    Leopoldo
    Last edited by Leopoldo; September 21st, 2004 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
    www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    what about covers: magazine, books, games, etc. I know foster does book covers, how much does he get paid?