Thread: Will B Comp 1.1

Thanks

Will B Comp 1.1

First 10. Ten more to come.

1. The image is crop really tight at the top which seems to frame the primary emphasis , (people) between the top edge and the counter.
    Will B Comp 1.1

2. The onlookers have an interesting rhythm that leads up to the primary focus (the speaker). A few are also looking at the viewer.
    Will B Comp 1.1

3. The two whitest areas of the painting are the wall by the light source and the painter's top with the fabric strips. Painter's top is secondary, so it has less white.
    Will B Comp 1.1

4. A lot of dark with specular high lights on metal and small eyes. Displays the character's personality. Background uses economy with smoke blocking the birds and also adding to the character.
    Will B Comp 1.1Will B Comp 1.1

5. The slight tilt of the head and eyes give it a sense of movement/action.
    Will B Comp 1.1

6.Foreground and mid ground are dark with brightest areas on the statue and the water (which leads through the mid ground under the guy on the horse).
    Will B Comp 1.1

7. Large dark area on the right get balanced out by the bright sign and man on the left. It also has contrasts in wealth/clothing. Winding snowy road draws attention to the funeral procession, and also winds through the image ending at the main foreground scene. Background uses more economy of strokes and also sillouettes the girls hat and face.

Will B Comp 1.1

8.Sharp angles in this painting and parts are stretched out ie. the very long shadow, the wall, and the angular back and buttock of the cow. Dark wall emphasizes the cow. Sky uses economy.
    Will B Comp 1.1

9.Stair case divides the image between the man and the woman. Stair case has a great shape/rythym.
    Will B Comp 1.1

10. Alot of sharp rythyms in the sails leading up to the primary enphasis the women in the bonnets. Very Dark on the right with mostly silhouette.
    Will B Comp 1.1
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Finished a couple more. I've been just diving into the painting without actually checking the size of shapes (which was mentioned in a few threads), or doing a pre sketch. Actually did some pre sketching on the Frazetta and everything magically fit. Still a bit big though.

11. Strong rim lighting in this painting. The characters are contrasted (girl white, male dark), light leaves on the right lead up to the foreground. The feet and legs of the characters are more subdued and attention is kept around the upper part.

The lighter flowers and pond at the bottom add more balance with the right side and the brightness.
    Will B Comp 1.1

12. This one has a lot of economy and Dramatic Shadows. The Shadows give the character a look of dark, savage mystery (Half hidden) and also emphasis. The character is central and literally dominant. The hand at the bottom points back to the primary emphasis.

The act is implied rather than shown with the blood on the knife, also adding to a sense of exclusion/economy. He leaves it out since the character is the primary emphasis and it would just draw attention away from that.
    Will B Comp 1.1
    Last edited by Justb; January 3rd, 2015 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    13. In this one most things are facing towards the woman in the dress. She's much emphasized in this painted. The street is moving towards her, the boy is running in that direction, And her dress is lighter than most things in the scene. The painting also has contrasting edges here and there of almost white and black which brings out sillouettes/edges (white horse under the umbrella, guy on the left behind the women).

Will B Comp 1.1
    Last edited by Justb; January 8th, 2015 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    14.Soft on the right. Hard edge on the left. Very broad economic strokes for most of it with most detail on the face. 2 areas of emphasis/contrast (both illuminated by the same light). Primary emphasis is the face.

Will B Comp 1.1

Thanks
    Tried a bit of texture on the brush. Lord-ribblesdale

The background uses a lot of economy. The collar is highlighted to draw attention to the face area . It has a Hard black edged silhouette on the left upper part and a sharp black top hat which also draws attention to that area.

Will B Comp 1.1
    Last edited by Justb; January 10th, 2015 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    These are looking great! you are very prolific! wow. I think your sense of values is spot on. I would recommend, however, paying more attention to the compositions and overall shapes of dark and light masses. a good way to do it is to compare negative space around the shapes you are painting. for example, in the last image, does the shape between the vertical line in the background and his face look the same? if you start comparing shapes that are formed by those spaces, you can get better accuracy. you're doing great! 5 more to go!

Thanks
    Thanks Keseyo. Will try that more out on my next one.

Thanks

Did a pre-sketch paying more attention to the negative space. It really helped to define the shapes.

This painting is really busy. A lot going on in the clothing folds, reflections, lighting and background. A lot of economy and bright highlights at the primary. Background grass and foliage is just hinted at. Placement of the 2 figures is symmetrical.

Will B Comp 1.1

Thanks
    I think it is great you are tackling very complexed paintings. You're really flexing you gun there! IT must be paying off because each study you do seem more close to the original then the last. My only critique is there is still a little discrepancy in proportions of shapes and placement of objects in your studies. I would suggest working on your measuring,techniques. I had (and probably still am have a little bit) of problems with measuring my source and applying those measurement to my study, but some one pointed out what I was doing wrong and gave me a video to watch that really pointed me in the right direction here's the link:
    http://youtube.com/watch?list=PLtG4P...&v=AzDGO0LssEM
    I hope it is something of use to you, and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Awesome video Andrew. Thanks for the link. I will definitely be using some of those tips in my next study.

Thanks

I Chose Sargent because of his economy in brush strokes, ability to capture light and his dramatic contrast and high lights.

Will B Comp 1.1

Total time: approx 2hrs

Thanks

I chose Caravaggio because of his dramatic lighting, contrast, and subject placements and rhythms. I feel that the fabric on David in this painting was actually chosen for it's contrasting white value and how the shadows play on the wrinkles and creases. Gives it a hard edge.

The placement of subjects is square and the primary emphasis is Goliath's head and David grasping it. David's face is hidden and is more of a tertiary emphasis.

Will B Comp 1.1

Approx 3.5 hrs

Thanks

I chose this Godward painting because of the interesting fabric and balance.

In this painting there are a lot of symmetrical lines in the bench and contrasting parts such as the woman's face and the dark fan behind it, the dark hair, the silhouette of her back waist. We have repetition in the carving under her arm, pattern of the tiger hide, and fabric wrinkles. Contrast of the guys arm over the bench and his sleeve. His face is silhouetted by his sleeve and the trees.

Female is a touch lighter in the skin tone. The bench is pretty light to frame the over all sillouette. The trees on the right balance out the right and left side making the painting more symmetrical.

Will B Comp 1.1

2.5 hours

Thanks
    Number 20 and final for comp 1.1

A lot of variation in the skin value of the fem. The black hair adds a nice contrast and sillouette. A lot of highlights on the upper part, breasts, jewellery etc.. Subtle strokes or outlines to bring out the form. Tons of economy of course. The lower of the fem is complete hidden/shadowed and he uses the actual texture of the paint on the rock. The pose is symmetrical and solid with most of the weight on the lower portion.

Will B Comp 1.1

4.5hrs

Thanks
    I really learned a lot from doing these studies, and definitely feel more confident and familiar with some of the principles of Painting and art.

Edit:

See you in Color 1.1
    Last edited by Justb; January 22nd, 2015 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post: