Thanks

Upgrading to 1G of RAM (Does it actually help)

Hey all I just picked up a new 3.1 ghz laptop with 512 RAM, it is a little sluggish when I am editing video and using high red large files in PS,

Has anyone here made the 1Gig upgrade as of late? And has it really helped?

Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't think I'd ever go back to 512Mb. 1GB will make a huge difference in PS and video editing. Really it's all about your RAM and you GFX Card. The PCU helps too, but not as much as upgrading the other two things... I just have a 2.6 proc, but with my 1GB RAM and Radeon 9800 pro card, it's a smokin' fast computer... So yeah. RAM and GFX Card! It's worth it!

-Daniel
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Phuz thanks a ton for the reasurance, the RAM upgrade is gonna run me about $350.00 canadian because I have to pick up a single stick but it will give me a total of 1.2 Gigs which should be rockn fast.

Thanks
    hmmm...the gfx card doesn't have much to do with your performance for 2d-graphics like ps or painter...it's more for 3d-performance...so it's the RAM and the cpu which is important...

Thanks
    I would say that it's the RAM and HD when it comes to image/video editing. It will store as much information as possible in RAM, and then store the rest on the HD.
    Since you've got a laptop, HD performance won't be optimal (laptop HDs are usually slower than desktop HDs)...so, get as much RAM as possible

The CPU is used for the computation, but I believe that your CPU can handle more data than your RAM is able to provide per second, so that shouldn't be an issue here.

And video card...I doubt it makes any difference. It can store things in memory and has a processor unit, yes, but it is specialized for graphics (3d) computation... A built-in card with 16 MB of memory should be just about as good/bad as a top-of-the-line card when it comes to drawing 2D stuff in Windows. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks
    well first off you are using a laptop for video editing. Not to metion it is a PC so it cant do floating point math like Macs can. PCs are not made for video editing, so thats your second problem. And then on top you have 512 ram. I recommend getting another stick to bump it to 1gb. I have a similar spec laptop (p4 3gig 800fsb, 512ram) and i noticed it laggy with large (100mb+) files in Photoshop so im gunna buy another stick too.
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Upgrading your RAM a very good idea. Generally, RAM serves as a major performance bottleneck when there isn't enough, but video and photo editing software is usually good about scaling the memory footprint of the program to make the more RAM = faster equation true.

Generally speaking, the video card, CPU cache and CPU (speed and generation) are the main things which would make your machine fast or sluggish in these situations. If you dan't have a good video card/chipset in your laptop, consider upgrading it if the laptop supports that. Regarding cache, go with P4 instead of Celeron for more cache. Your CPU clock speed is excellent. Also, try to avoid intsalling applications that run background processes (right-click on start bar, select Task Manager, click Processes tab), or look for extra crap you don't need in your system tray - each one of these will probably slow your machine and its responsiveness down.

I don't wish to get into any PC vs Mac religious debate, but I would hate for you to dislike your new PC for possibly inaccurate data. The Pentium 4 generation of CPUs supports single-cycle floating point multiplication (3.1 gHz = 3.1 million cycles per second) which means that "not doing floating point like Macs can" is not currently an accurate statement, unless "not doing floating point as slowly as Macs do" is what was meant : ). No disrespect meant to nardfrog. Further, most floating point is done on the GPU (graphics card) if it is 3D accelerated anyway.

One thing to note is that software is natively written for a single platform (i.e.: the Mac in the case of most Adobe products such as Photoshop, the PC for most Corel products) and then ported do a different machine. This means the version of the program for the native machine runs better on it's native platform. Ports are always inferior.

Generally speaking, laptops are poor for video editing and graphics work due to decisions made concerning which graphics chips to put in there and so forth, but it does depend on the laptop. Video editing and Photoshop massive files work make heavy use of scratch space on a hard drive, so consider getting a super-fast external USB 2.0 or 1394 (Firewire) hard drive, making your scratch disks massive and placing them on the uber-fast hard drive.

Thanks
    David thanks so much!!!!

I am a full time film student so my portable rig is going to get alot of editing thrown at it, the reason I went for the laptop is because I need the mobility.

I am picking out my external drive as we speak and the RAM has been ordered, I have a radeon 9200 in the laptop which runs DVD and WC3 just fine.

I think I am safe.

Thanks
    yes...more ram...and more bus speed is always a good thing(but i guess you can't upgrade that without a new chip )

thank god for the athlon 64's hyper-transport feature