Sketchbook: JadeDragon's~Fire In My Belly~New Sketch Feb 20, 2009

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

JadeDragon's~Fire In My Belly~New Sketch Feb 20, 2009

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to this AMAZING Concept Art forum. Like all of you, I share a passion for creating artwork. I've been lucky to work in many art-related industries including comicbooks, animation, toy design and now movie/video game advertising. Mostly pencilling but am now just starting to dabble (and completely suck ) in photoshop and painting.

I hope to use this thread to practice and experiment. Please feel free to flip through the pages, sniff the fresh marker fumes and maybe give me a critique or twenty. I'm here to learn!

About two weeks ago I challenged myself to do a sketch a day, so this first dump will feature my efforts along those lines to date. With some of my comic book pages sprinkled in just for kicks and giggles.

Here's some old comicbook work from my days at Top Cow Productions...

Here's my very first attempt at photoshop sketching from scratch...Ugh!

Not very defined, so I tried a Hulk...

That was way fuzzy too, so I tried something different with this MonkeyKing...

Still a little mooshy....but I tried again with the SuperSkrull sketch...

Dangit! I suck at this PS sketching! Heh! Well, maybe I should focus on just modifying some pencil sketches for a while to get comfy with the wacom...here is me attempting comic style coloring for the first time.

Next I started focusing on creature design, something I absolutely love to do...this first one was pretty stiff...

Hellbeast...

I thought maybe I should loosen up the sketches and let the photoshop fiddling do the work...

Batra...

Too loose! Ak! From that day til now I decided to just have fun drawing, throw a little color and highlights on and focus on speed and developing a good nightly habit of sketching. Here's the rest...

MerDragon...

Rock Monger

Dragon Queen...

A rough Night With My Muse...

FisherKing...

Taurus...

And finally last night's...Troglodyte...

Thanks for checking these out. Like I said, I'm here to learn so please feel free to comment and critique. Eventually I promise to draw some feet. Ha ha!

I'll be back every night with a new sketch, eventually getting back into experimenting and sucking at painting in PS...or at least that's my plan.

Seeya tomorrow!~~~Patrick Blaine (JadeDragon)

Last edited by JadeDragon; February 20th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    WOW Jade...thanks for posting these!!! Very inspiring stuff. Youre style is seriously kickass (wonderful pencil work) Troglodyte is my fav.
    You gotta get a homepage goin...

Thanks
    holy shit your dam good and picking up painting fast, how old are you?

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Like OMG, Like you totally rock my socks off my feet......and your 36??? Your art style is still revolutionary. Shit dude that Pitt pencil rendering is very nice. As like you I'm still trying to learn coloring using PS, you have a better understand of colors than I do. Can't wait to see what else you can come up with. Adding you to my subscription list.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    damn Jade, them some cool monsters! me likes em' right good. Welcome to the board, can't wait to see what you post.

I can't give you any painting tips because I'm trying to learn it myself.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Hey guys!

Thanks for such a rapido response!

Cateaic~Thanks for the kind words, man. And I'm trying to work up a website, hopefully when I have some finished pieces..might be a while. Heh! SO much to learn!

gasmask~Too kind of you, sir! Like Sok N Wett said, I just turned 36. Feelin old....old like dirt.....yeeesh! Painting will be the death of me...

Sok N Wett~Thanks for the encouragement, and hey! I see you and gasmask are from Washington. So am I...I just relocated down here to Cali to pursue art gigs about 3 yrs ago. Grew up in Spokane, went to UW for a while. I think that's awesome you guys have a WA sketch group. PacificNorthwest in the Hizzy fer shizzy! Oh, BTW...nice sketchbook! I see we both have a love for fantasy and monsters...cool! Neat confetti experiment.

Steak-tron~Glad ya like the monsters! I checked out your sketchbook too, excellent critters on your end as well! Especially dug that big monster climbing out of the fire. Sweet! Lookin forward to more!

Welp, here's tonight's scribbles...

Great Horned Polyclops...

Thanks again all! Seeya tomorrow!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    shit,im blown away by the detail in your work man,you remind me so much of when i was nuts about Dale Keowns work,just couldnt stop drawing big muscles..lol
    that 2 page spread is just insane man,im also liking that Rhino guy..
    keep posting dude.eagerly waiting 4 updates

Jace

Thanks

Bone Doctor Diagnosis!

Good mojo working here dig your take off on anatomy!!
    Will drop in often to see what you got goin!
    Drop by and see me when you get a chance!!

Thanks
    hey cool stuff, I knew I recognized that big monster on the top!

You seem to be figuring out digital painting; starting with monochrome transparent color is a good start. In your next image, go monochrome and then start building up with colors that are adjacent on the color wheel until you get to complimentaries.

Welcome to conceptart.org, I'll be checking in on your sketchbook!

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    bwkeough~Thanks for the welcome! Such a nice group of artists here. Much gratitude for the helpful advice on painting, I can use all I can get. I'll try what you said, probably next weekend when I have some extra time from work. And BTW, I really liked your sketch thead as well, particularly useful was the process postings for your CA t-shirt design. Nice work man!

mentler~My mojo thanks ya! And I'll definitely check out your threads, actually right after I post this! Thanks for the comments!

Rusty~Dude! You totally nailed me! Ha ha! I've been in a Dale phase since starting these new sketches...gotta draw some non-bulky guys! In fact, tonight I was like "Grr! Must'nt draw muscles! Must draw skinny old man...with a stick! Sketch sketch sketch...OK, it's working, no muscles no muscles---GAH! Where'd that Hell-beast arm come from??!!!"

So close...

Thanks for the nice words, I'm in awe of your sketchthread, Rusty.

Here's my ALMOST skinny dude...ArchMage...

Seeya all later!~~~Patrick (JadeDragon)

Thanks
    dude he's cool! Nice warped character,and besides the excellent render, I love how you have all of these shapes spiraling in to direct the viewer's eye to his face.

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook

Thanks
    man,you got that comic style nailed down.ive never felt fully confident doing a comic style always ended up shading the image instead of comicbook style shadings..
    i agree,this ones got a nice spiraling flow.

Jace

Thanks
    bwkeough~ Thanks man! Nice of you guys to keep stopping back. I really appreciate the encouragement. I'll definitely return the favor. I'm really having a blast getting back into sketching, neat to interact with other guys just like me.

Rusty~Gracias! I've had a love affair with comic art since I was a wee lad. Hope to get back into drawing them at some point. Man, it would be cool to see your take on comic art, maybe even a fully painted comic. I bet that would kick butt! BTW, your new painting tutorial rocks!

Here's tonight's scribbles....

Valkyrie...

Ciao!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    shit,thats a nice piece,this would look beautifull inked up by either Tim Townsend or Scott Williams,my fave inkers..
    Bah,ill stick to doing covers thank you very much,take me forever to paint a comic up.lol

Jace........

Thanks
    awsome renders....first one is top knotch!!!

Thanks
    JadeDragon - Are you still working on any comics as of late, or are you doing something else? That girl is so awesome.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    ahh...more stuff!!! that head piece on the chick is awesome. Youre characters are looking so badass. LoL...the hell-beast arm is great.

Thanks
    Hey Guys!

Rusty~Thanks, man! Yeah, I love Tim Townsend and Scott Williams' inks, I'd be real lucky to work with those guys at some point. I also really like my friends Joe Weems and Batt's inks. Both excellent at rendering and embellishing. Hope your job search is going well!

Mr. Frost~Thanks compadre! Since ya liked that one, I've scanned in another fer ya down below...

Sok N. Wett~Mighty kind of ya. The last comic I did was "Star Wars: Empire" #13 from Dark Horse. That was last year, since then I have been working full time in videogame/movie advertising. Mostly creating comp roughs. Some painting, but just gettin the feet wet (and me soks!) with PS CS. Hopefully getting back to comics sometime in the future, that's why I'm starting these little sketch practices...warming up. Miss the freelance lifestyle...but dont miss trying to find work every month.

cateaic~ Muchos gracias! Appreciate the kindess...

Here's a two page pin-up I did for Top Cow a while back...Inferno...

And here's tonight's lil sketch. A bit of a departure from all the serious stuff...

"Great Horny Toads!....Patrick drew FEET!"

Thanks again for all the nice replies!

Seeya tomorrow!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    goodness gracious!!,thats just pure coolness...jaw and nuts fell on the floor then...how long does a piece like that take you?,....also how long does it take to ink a beast like that up?..
    love this toad dude as well,the face is especially..Ive seen Batts inks,never seen your other mates work though.

im humbled m8
    Jace.........

Thanks
    dude, that is a tight compisition - the demon is great, horns are awsome.....dont stop!!

Thanks
    that horny is great just the way it is, the viewer has a perfect understanding of who that guys is and what kind of personality he has.

The Inferno pin-up is interesting on a couple of levels to me. First, the level of detail is amazing and way beyond anything I have ever attempted. It also has great drama in the classic comicbook style. But one thing that has me a little off is that I keep losing the head of the "hero" guy in the foreground. I think this is partly because your pencils don't show the full value range (and they shouldn't, the middle values will be supplied by the colorist), but also maybe that the details on the demon behind his head are preventing me from seeing his outline.

cool stuff, man, keep it up!

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook

Thanks
    Rusty~You flatter me, sir! I'm glad you liked that Inferno piece. I think I spent about three days on it, about a day and a half per page. Generally I try to do a page a day, but usually fall a little short. On the inking side, an inker friend of mine took it with him to CrossGen, but never got a chance to finish inking it. Those guys are fast though, probably takes about the same time to ink as it takes me to pencil. Maybe a little faster. I dont ink a lot of my own stuff, not enough patience for it. (BTW, Joe Weems just inked Marc Silvestri's run on X-Men, if you get a chance to check it out...beautiful stuff). Also, I'm looking forward to this weekend so I can test out that painting tutorial you gave, thanks again for that! You da man!

Mr Frost~ Thanks man! I'll keep plugging away as long as these old bones can support my new lack of sleep habit. Yay productivity! Boo sleep! Maybe I'll scan in some more of my comic pencils if I get a chance...

bwkeough~ Excellent crit there. I completely agree, that forefigure could have popped better if I had put him against a silhouette shadow on the demon's leg. Thanks for pointing that out! I usually dont like to leave stuff for a colorist to save, I think a page of comic style art should be able to stand alone as a B & W piece before colors are added. I like a lot of black on a page for that purpose. I'm still trying to learn where to leave off detail and let a piece breathe. Please keep the crits a comin'! And thanks again for the nice comments too!

I'm looking forward to attempting more full color paints soon. But for tonight, just enough time for this lil number...

Alchemist...

Seeya tomorrow!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    sweet sketch man,gezz your got good consistancy man,you definatly have your own style locked down,I stray from style all the time,i dont think i have a definative style yet..
    shit,ive been on this batman painting 4 nearly a week,and its no where near finished.lol,your pretty fast,specially 4 a finished piece.
    I havent been in the comic shops 4 ages,but ill have a look out for this inker.

Jace

Thanks
    Rusty~ Thanks, but I think I'm more amazed by your range of impressive styles. All of them equally polished to an incredible degree. One of those more detailed sketch styles I think would fit really well into a graphic novel type thing (altho they ALL could). Those pages with the multiple creatures and the supercar, I think that style would make for a killer comicbook. These days you dont have to go inked, and that multi-tonal work would look amazing with the right colorist. Eh, look at me just trying to force you into comics! Haha!

I'm not surprised that Batman piece is a multi-day task, it's way detailed and cool, far more finished than what I've been up to lately.

These sketches I'm doing nightly I wouldnt consider really finished. Just me screwing around and keeping busy after work. At my day job I dont get to draw in this comic style, I mostly draw loose and fast scribbly idea comps or SpongeBob Squarepants cartoon art (advertising the upcoming movie). At some point I'll post some of the other styles I work in...I think diversity helps make for a more interesting sketchbook thread. Mine is starting to look a little "One trick pony" LOL.

Anyhoo, here's what I doodled up tonight...

WereJackal...

Seeya tomorrow!~~~Patrick

Last edited by JadeDragon; September 18th, 2004 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    Oh my goodness!!! Welcome to the forums. Killer stuff! The inferno piece is really great.

Thanks
    Great thread, man. As I said over in my thread, I love that pin-up for Top Cow. I just can't stop staring at it.

Obviously I can't offer any advice or critiques so...er....draw more feet! Yeah, draw more feet and post some more!

Thanks
    This is really good work!!

I love those first 2 at the top

keep posting

Thanks
    Ahhhh Saturday. Weekends rock! I was gonna paint today, but slept instead. So I just did a regular sketch tonight. Paint tomorrow!

But first...

Groover McNab~ Thanks so much for the welcome! Muchly appreciated! Glad ya liked the Inferno piece. I always liked seeing your avatar, cracks me up with the eyeballs! Hee! I'm gonna check out some of your work here after I post this...

I AM~ You are too kind. But you ask too much. Feet? How dare you. Feet are hard to draw, they got all them toe thingies and stuff. I refuse. Ha ha! Thanks! I loved the passion in your sketchbook. I'll be keeping an eye on ya.

ArghMisfit~ Thank yew! I appreciate the encouragement! I'm gonna check out your work right after this too. Artists unite!

Here's tonights sketcheroonie...(did this one super fast, it's pretty sucky but I have a movie to watch)

Bone Pirate...

More art tomorrow! Yay! Thanks all!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks
    excellent work man. *wipes drool off keyboard*

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.