Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I wanna first start off by saying I'm new, and this is my first reply, but nevertheless, I'll try to keep it semi-simple. Hello to all!

As a piece I can really appreciate it. I'm from Alaska, and this reminds me of some of the beautiful scenery that few of us will actually know in our lifetimes. I like the overall tone in the piece. The dark shapes well show the breaking of formations of the snow on rock shapes, or vice versa. The placement of the highlights was done pretty well also. You can see where there are ridges on the mountains from the slightly darker blues which was nice and can be hard to do. The frozen lake looks okay, but it has no dimension. Some slight texture on the ice, some sheen, or even some rock shapes or something toward the foreground would all push the "effect" of ice a little further. But for a quick illustration, its quite nice. The only other issue that I would like to see is some texture in the sky as well. The mountains are done so well, that the ice and sky seem slightly out of place. And I think you've demonstrated that you can achieve these effects. Its easy for me to critique, but I don't think I could've done it better myself when attempting those things. I think you conquered the blank canvas. Crush it next time.

There will come a time when you think everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, what a great strong, long critique, this is the best critique i have ever got, thank you.

Also for the ice, i had an icy effect going on, using a brush/technique in painter 8, but when i changed it to a jpeg format to put onto the web, it smoothened it out, making look, plain. As for the sky yeah, it could use something.

Thanks.

Justin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See, there's one of the advantages of the internet. You can ask for crits on a painting and someone who can look out the window and see the scene will give you them

Anyway, nice work. Dont think I can really add anything to Ferocia's crits. Oh, and welcome to the board, Ferocia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.