Thanks

Does reading books inspire you?

Have you concepted things you've read of in books? Scenes/machines/characters? Like Sammy with the war machines from War of the Worlds and his stuff from Dune, as well as just about everybody a while back doing drawings of elves and bloody hobbits.

How come so many people see things in so many different ways? If you read the same book or description as I and we both set about drawing the thing described most likely we would end up with completely different drawings, just wondered if a description based drawing session could be set up or something.
    Last edited by young paddy1; September 14th, 2004 at 07:12 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    yup. I just posted this today in fact.

Good books with vivid and imaginative scenarios like Dune and LOTR are great sources for inspiration. I almost think it's better when the authors don't go too in-depth in their discription. The strongest imagery you'll find in books is mostly suggestive I think. More possibilities present themselves, especially with such emersive settings like those found in the Dune series. It becomes impossible to sleep and to not think about what everything should/could look like right after reading.

Thanks
    I personally prefer descriptions that are fairly light but that increase in depth throughout the book, allowing you to get a general picture to start with and then tweak it if you want to later. I love the descriptions by John Wyndham in books like Day of the Triffids and The Kraken Wakes. As well as thos in Kevin J Anderson's Saga of the seven Suns series, like the 'Green Priests' who barely wear any cloths and carry around 'world tree' saplings in pots so they can instantaneously comunicate across the galaxy, via the world tree network.

Thanks
    If you like to be inspired by books try out the stuff from Jack Vance. The "dying sun" short novels are perfect for fantasy and his SF-stuff has got the most vivid human societies I know from SF-writers (and I know quite a lot )

Fipse

BTW Interesting - here on the board - are Phuzions adult reinterpretations of the "wizard of oz"
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    i have a few books on mythology, i usually use those for inspiration on my creatures of the day, not exactly the same thing you are talking about but...i wanted to feel cool so i replied.

Thanks
    Well it is kind of what I mean, you are using books not specifically designed to aide you in creating artwork as inspiration, I think if you consistantly used art/reference books and never used your imagination you could never really consider yourself a concept artist.

Thanks
    definitely. reading a nice story usually gets the pictures in my head flowing, no matter what condition i am in. also, you usually dont only get one creature or the like but a coherent universe of stuff to paint. and its entertaining.

two very 'visual' books that i lately read were "skinner" by neil asher (more lighthearted scifi with shitloads of entertainment value - like pirates meet monsters meet scifi - its superb) and "light" by m john harrison (more heady take on things one is unable to comprehend. great, too).

and discworld always makes me want to draw funny caricatures

Thanks
    Hiya gekitsu, that "Skinner" book sounds interesting, can't find it on amazon.de though - do you have any more info on that book (publisher, ISBN etc.)?

Thanks,

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    try neal asher, there's an english and german version, the browser keeps glitching or i would have posted the link.

I think this is it jester, hope this helps.

Thanks
    Some books it does, some don't. I noticed it was different from author to author, but sometimes I can read a book and be completely in the story like seeing a book but a peculiar moment or scene just flashes in front of me. It's like being bitchslaped, an image that would sit so well on canvas.
    BUT ! I've recently finished "Les 40e Delirants" by Raymond Devos and it felt like gas to my imagination engine. A mind changing experience I tell you.

Thanks
    young paddy1, this helped a lot, just ordered...

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site