The Village

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Village

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The Village

My god,it's been a very long time since i've last seen a movie suck so much!
    i was hoping for a shit-ass scaring monster flick but what i get is one of the biggest letdowns of the last years in cinema.i went to this movie with no expectations, but after the first 10 minutes i was hoping for something.
    but,nope,no way that damn director of "sixth sense" is going to give us anything good,unnatural or atleast gory.instead we get bad actors(except the crazy guy), a terrible story(when looked at afterwards) and an even more terrible tagline.
    just a big bunch of horseshit.
    the only thing that managed to scare me for a short moment was that thing with the mudhole.
    what are your thoughts?

p.s.:anyone besides me even seen it?

Last edited by Carnifex; September 12th, 2004 at 08:31 AM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i thought the movie was brilliant. i thought the actors were good to. (remember al the adults were acting like they've lived in the village all their lives, they had to force themevse to speak like that, thats why the acting may have seemed a little bland)

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fact that M Nightshhmalalalala got the funding for another film scared me enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    M Night should be a great writer for the outer limits or the twilight zone...none of his movies are suppose to be scary, more like twist plots that you don't expect coming, it's more for a shock factor. It's suppose to make you think about what's going to happen next, and it let's you keep guessing. So far I love most of his movies, and I don't know why he's in every one of his own movies......

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    i thought the movie was brilliant. i thought the actors were good to. (remember al the adults were acting like they've lived in the village all their lives, they had to force themevse to speak like that, thats why the acting may have seemed a little bland)
    to me the (main)actors didn't seem good because:
    joaquin phoenix was having the same facial expression throughout the whole film.
    that blind girl acted in a way you never knew if she was blind or not(f.ex.running down the hill in the beginning and always looking at ppl although blind ones don't do that-they don't move their eyes).

well and about that forced-to-speak-so part:
    i can't say anything about that because we had a synchronized version(german).

what you're saying,sok,is true though.after the film i wondered all the time if the inhabitants of the village would return to the city now.

but it still disturbs me that the posters and ads are trying to sell the film as a horror film or something like that-with all the cheesy taglines and stuff.but it isn't one!or would you say so?

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought The Village was great. In my book, M. Knight's 4 for 4 as far as making great movies. Like Sok said, it's all about the unexpected. I enjoy his take on some of the classic ideas. Unbreakable was your classic comic book superhero movie, but told in a completely new and fresh way that I really enjoyed, for example.

What I love most about his movies though, is that they're never about what you THINK they're about. You watch a whole movie that you think is about one thing (about a boy who sees ghosts, about a man who's got these powers, about an alien invasion, about these monsters) and at the end of the movie, you find out it was all about something completely different (about the man who IS a ghost coming to terms with his past, about a lonely, twisted villain who's been searching for some connection, about FAITH of all things, and about the lengths people will go to to try to live the "perfect life")....I dunno. I dig it.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well,i really enjoyed the sixth sense,because it was about what it promised: ghosts.
    but the village promised(in some way) to be about monsters,and it sounded like they were talking about real monsters,which they weren't in the end.
    that is the reason why i feel this is such a letdown-if they're talking about monsters,they should do monsters-and not ppl in costumes.
    it would have been much better to me if the legend was actually true and during her travel the blind girl had encountered a real one.
    feel free to discuss this possibility.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And that's where we differ...the fact that it turned out NOT to be about monsters is what I found so interesting about the movie.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the monsters are the bad guys from "our world" like the murders, rapist and such

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    well the monsters are the bad guys from "our world" like the murders, rapist and such
    Exaclty well said, that pretty much sums that up.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeh well,but those "monsters" didn't turn up personally in the film

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I'm late this for this talk back but I had to chime in. This movie was great and I'm sure most one level type people hated it because they WERE expecting BLOOD SUCKING WEREVOLVES or something stupid like that. But they obviously missed the whole point. This movie was about human nature and what extent or sacrifices people will pay to achieve true happiness..

The beggining of the movie starts out with a 4 foot casket (obviously a child) that is being buried due to some kind of death that could of been PREVENTED if they choosen to unveil there village to modern day medicine. But no, they choose to let there child die instead.

Then there is the slaughtered animals... These people are willing to kill there own farm animals just to create a more realistic lie... Remember they don't have a grocery store so they are basically destroying there food...

Then there is a girl who is completly blind, who is willing to travel through (what she thinks is monsterville) to get medicine to help the one she loves..because its probably the only person who has ever given there love to her..

Oh and Carnifex your comment about the blind girl who doesn't see people. Well you need to pay more attention next time.. Because if you remember She saw light, shadows and most importantly the color of people, which in fact was a repeated conversation with her and Walkin-Phoenix...

There are many human traits that were explored in this movie..its too bad it flew over most peoples heads..

skinns
    Skinwerks Tattoo & Design

"Use your emotions to think, but don't think with your emotions"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.