Supporting yourself while in art school?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Supporting yourself while in art school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Supporting yourself while in art school?

How do (or did) you guys support yourselves while going to art school? I live in Utah, and there are only a few universities around here, and nothing close to an art school. I make decent money for my age, and I have enough trouble keeping up working full time. I would imagine that most places that would have an art school would haev a higher cost of living as well, as it isn't very high here.. PLus having to have a full time job while going to school (especially art school) would probably really make it difficult to do your best at school..

Just curious as to how some of you did this...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont go to art school, but my school costs about as much as a decent one. i know RISD costs close to 30,00 dollars. that might or might not include room and board. my school costs 24 with room and board. basically i got a work study job. and i take out loans, lots of loans. if you can, try to get a scholarship. file for financial aid, go to the school's financial aid office and see if they can help. And if you are at art school, why dont you pick up an illustration job on the side? there are plenty of RPG companies that will pay ok money, not great, but ok. basically they pay you for drawings you would make anyway, its bizarre. or you could marry a really rich old lady. if you need help bumping her off, i take cash, small unmarked bills to be exact.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to a cheap state school. It has a good reputation, good professors, and awesome labs/studios, so I opted for that over expensive art schools. To earn money I got into web design and managed to get steady work with a company that paid me way too much and let me telecommute, so I basically worked all through school out of my dorm room/apartments. I made enough to cover my school expenses, living expenses, and even bought a brand new car, working just 20 hours a week during semesters and full-time in between. I also got involved in the web stuff at the right time, years ago when it was blowing up and guys were getting paid ass loads of money with minimal skills just because the demand was high.

Now it's different, and not alot of people are still making that kind of money. It worked out for the best anyway... I'm not into web design anymore and I'm pursuing a more graphic/art oriented path these days, but for a few years, web design was perfect for me and it got me through school.

Not sure this is any help to you, but it's how I got by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw Dragon, you don't want to go to Bringem Young? (I'm so going to hell for that comment). Anyway... you're better off trying to do it through financial aid and loans as these catz have said. You won't be able to go to school and work full time... even part time will take out of the time and energy your should put into school, if that's the route you want.

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuzion
    Aw Dragon, you don't want to go to Bringem Young? (I'm so going to hell for that comment). Anyway... you're better off trying to do it through financial aid and loans as these catz have said. You won't be able to go to school and work full time... even part time will take out of the time and energy your should put into school, if that's the route you want.

-Daniel

Haha, well, I'm not mormon, so I don't think I would really fit in at BYU. I was thinking of the UofU, but I'm still not sure.. I would rather attend a REAL art school, but for some reason they only like to place them in cities that have a very high cost of living... Plus I haev a good job now and I don't really want to haev to try and find a new one, at least for a couple of years..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well if you like your job you have now and can live below your income. save up! keep your job. see if there are any art organizations you can attend locally on weekends or something. if not draw friends relatives animals at the zoo. fill up sketch books. that will give you plenty to choose from when the art school you pick wants to see that you can draw. draw from life as much as possible. oh and you could get some of those non art classes out of the way at junior college, possibly night classes so they don't interfeer with your day stuff. government loans don't pay much the first year.

as for me.. my wife and i put each other through school (with support of loans). obviously that stratigy won't work for everyone.

good luck to ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, hey who's dissing BYU? (I went there )
    Here's what happened to me:
    Got a scholarship (academic).
    Worked during school (15 hours a week doing graphic design).
    My living expenses were a little over $700 a month. I made about $600 a month, but I had some savings from working summers during highschool (I could have also worked 20 hours a week :lazy: ).
    I worked summers when I wasn't going to school.
    I was able to do an internship in New York which cost $3000.
    Ended up with no debt, but . . . . I know everone's not like me.

Here's what I suggest. Loans are a serious thing. They can be on your back for years and years. I would minimize them as much as I could by trying for scholarships and working during school and summers.
    What about Utah State? I know they had an awesome illustration program, but the director has retired so I don't know what it's like now.
    I used to work with several people who graduated from Utah State. It has a fledgling 3-D program and these people were able to come out with some marketable skills. They had to teach themselves a lot, but at least they had access to the equipment and programs.
    So, I dunno . . . I greatly respect your desire to be economical here. I was fine working 15 hours a week and surviving BYU's Illustration program which is said to be one of the most time-intensive programs on campus.
    Good luck, hope this gives you some ideas.
    emily

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.