Art: Aloysius and Diogenes Pendergast - Update 9/20
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aloysius and Diogenes Pendergast - Update 9/20

Here are a pair of antagonistic brothers from the minds of authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Some of you may have already seen my portrait of Aloysius Pendergast, but here he's joined by his diabolical brother Diogenes. I've also added a small detail below. Hope you like!

Last edited by JeffZNY; September 20th, 2004 at 06:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure to like his face but i really dig his hands!

I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see I've gotten quite a few views on this post, but not many replies. Unfortunately, none of my previous posts have generated that many replies either, but this one seems particularly bad. I am wondering, do ppl find these images particularly uninspiring or uninteresting? At least I would expect some ppl to point out the myrid of problems in the portraits, but I've hardly gotten a peep. I'm just curious, why the lack of interest? I hope I'm not coming across the wrong way here, but it's just that I can't possibly get better if everyone is silent...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It happens to all of us, don't worry about it.

Crits are hard to do sometimes, and the better the art the harder it becomes to critique it. Plus, the "helpful critiques" forum is the designated place if you specifically want feedback.

Let me take a few minutes and see what I can contribute to you. Goodness knows most of my posts get relatively little feedback, but enough to keep me content. Since I relate, I desire to help

What I first notice is that there is a very hard transition between both characters and their background. All around them are soft lines but the silhouette of both men is sharp and looks very much like it was cut and pasted onto the background. The featureless black simplicity of the suits is fairly cool, but since they are pure black and contain none of the colors/light or warms/colds of their environment it hinders the feeling that they are in the same place as the background. A very, very slight addition of highlights might really bring them out, and using the ambient light color in the highlights might possibly help reduce the "pop" enough so it doesn't feel the two are so illogically seperate.

The backgrounds themselves I do like, and have nothing against them, they work for me. The background for the left fellow might be a little too vivid in the contrast though. My eye is drawn away from the character, even the high-detail face, toward the very contrasted background. The lightning behind his head region helps, but toning down the other regions might make it better (perhaps leaving a sort of area around the focus, which I assume is his face, with the original contrast level, sort of like a halo of detail drawing the eye).

The blurry tesla coil that slightly obscures him is a nice little depth addition, I like that.

In the right one, there is less for me to critique, which I suppose is a good thing . My only real observation on this one (aside from the highlights, color, and warm/cool comments) is that his hair might be a tad too hard to distinguish from his skin. While I don't know if this is intended, the color and sheen of his hair is very close to that of his skin. If I squint it looks like he has a fleshy heat sink on his head. If perhaps there was just a dash more orange in that hair it might really help, a little more shine might not be bad either but depending on the actual character's appearance both suggestions may be irrelevant.

I complement you on the cabinet which is in the background of the right image. The wood is well-rendered without being overdetailed.

That's all that comes to mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unsure

The pieces are both well done and interesting. I'm still trying to decide which is good and which is evil. The beard makes it hard for me to tie the two. Nice use of color, oddly enough like the previous poster, the hands draw my attention. Hope to see more soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright, i took a shot at some of the suggestions above, however, I was woefully unsuccessful. after an hour of tinkering, I found the image not really very changed, and I'm hesitant to even post the results, but I didn't want ppl to think their crits fell on deaf ears. I tried adding some highlights to the suit, but I didn't like how it looked at all, and in particular I thought it de-emphasised the hands that everyone seems to like so much. I did however turn down the contrast on the background a bit, and I changed the colors a bit as well...I think it looks slightly better this way. Let me know what you think, old image on the left, new one on the right:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really hate the blurred stuff, I think it would have looked way better if you used light and darkness to give the illusion of depth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also agree on the blurred stuff but one other thing. His head casts no shadow on his shirt, makes it look like the head was pasted on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, some people like the blurred stuff, some don't. I'll try something different in the next thing I do. In the meanwhile, I quickly threw some shadow in to correct the glaring error that angel pointed out. I'm surprised no one pointed it out sooner, cause in retrospect it's hideously obvious. Anyway, final versions for those who care:

Last edited by JeffZNY; October 26th, 2004 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, bloody heck... I'm almost embarassed that I didn't pay attention to that. I suppose I need glasses, or ritalin, because I either didn't see or couldn't focus on that!

The cast shadow that you added actually seems to help a lot IMO. Although his body is still just the dark silhouette (which is actually pretty cool), the shirt now has more actual body to it, and isn't flat. Good job

Oh, and... nowadays I have too much schoolwork to browse the forums here very often or for very long, so if you could slam a link in this thread when you post a new one with new stuff, it'd make my life easier. Thx mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, well I appreciate the interest, so I've started a sketchbook. Not much there, but I'll try to keep it up to date at least
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30726

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look good.

I'm not much on the blurry stuff either but that me. And even though there wearing black suits you may want to show some folds and wrinkles. Nothing to distraction. Just a hint of wrinkles may add depth.

I think it's cool that you did paintings on Childs and Preston's work. They are awesome writer's. I'm reading Brimstone now.

scottg

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.