Thanks

Art Colleges: Where do I look, what do I do!? I don't want to starve!

Oh god oh god oh god.

I'm a senior in highschool now...

But a year from now I'll be off to College...
    But what!? WHAT DO I DO!?
    I have an idea, not really though. I've got so far in mind...
    Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
    School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Something somewhat near the East coast as right now I live in northern VA.
    What do I want to do? Well, my dream of dreams would be to do my own comic (though I'll probably starve...). My dream would be to do the designs for videogames.
    Animation also seems interesting, but something I have no experience in.

I'm just looking for recommendations and maybe some sage wisdom from experienced elders of this forum for a young padawan-squire-apprentice-grasshopper-student.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the second college thread posted in the wrong forum in a day....

anyways,

Go to SAIC man!
    I'm going there in a year as well (attending the National Portfolio Day on Nov 14 at SAIC)

Get a portfolio together of life figure drawings, portraits, and still lifes using a variety of mediums. That's what I'm doing

Thanks
    schoolis pointless for becoming a concept artist, teach urself
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmask
    schoolis pointless for becoming a concept artist, teach urself
    coming from a guy going to school...

from personal experience, I cannot recommend an Art Institute. However, one of the most badass artists I've ever had the priviledge to meet went to RISD...and they've got a reputation for excellence as far as I know...

Thanks
    SAIC isn't part of the AI schools! There's another school (Illinois Institute of Art) is the AI school in Chicago. SAIC (School of the Art Insitute of Chicago) IS NOT connected with the AI schools! (its confusing)

Who is this particular artist you speak of jetPack?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    SAIC isn't part of the AI schools! There's another school (Illinois Institute of Art) is the AI school in Chicago. SAIC (School of the Art Insitute of Chicago) IS NOT connected with the AI schools! (its confusing)

Who is this particular artist you speak of jetPack?
    art school helped me...id not be here today without it.

however, there are more options now...you could go somewhere cehaper...a state school etc...because the connections you need once your portfolio is solid...are all for the taking on the internet.

best

j

Thanks
    when I was in college i was getting laid by hot chicks all the time. Now that im out of college working fulltime, im a loser. Go to college and stay there!!!!
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    If you plan to go to a four year college take your General Ed. at a junior college instead my young padawan-squire-apprentice-grasshopper-student. The classes are cheaper and you save money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redder
    If you plan to go to a four year college take your General Ed. at a junior college instead my young padawan-squire-apprentice-grasshopper-student. The classes are cheaper and you save money.
    yes that is very very very good advice, advice i wish someone would have stressed that to me before i started up at art school.
    As a mans power and knowledge grows so the paths he may choose lessen more and more until he can choose only and whole what he must do.
    time to follow the trend: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post1052814
    oh and heres a college buddy of mine:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75358

Thanks
    ok im in Europe( Ireland to be exact) so i can only speak in general terms.

i studied animation and layout/concept design in collage. the highest grade when i went back in 1996 was a diploma. i found that selecting a course that approached two different areas that are inter connected is the best, animation needs a sense of timing and movement. it also teaches storyboarding and film language. this combined with classical artistic education etc and some design makes for a good mix. as to not starving, well in my country there is a grant for the low income and since my father was a poor salesman , i got the full deal and free accommodation, sure nothing pretty and people take the piss ( out of a class of 30 only 7 made it to the end of the 3 years) but i still got my education . I don't know how the American system but are there state grant systems etc or if that route does not exist, perhaps scholarships etc. myself when i wanted to find out about the collage i wanted to go to , i went there on a normal day and wandered around, you get a better feel when the place is not "set-up" to advertise a good face for the wide eyed public. anyway i have ranted on, and i wish you the best of luck

John Mac
    nothing to lose so go for it

Thanks
    Also, if your high school grades aren't so good, you can go to a junior college for the 2 year transfer program, and if your grades are good there, then you'll be more likely to get into the college you want. Plus, its 2 more years to make a portfolio.