Thanks

Tribes: Vengeance

I don't know how many of y'all are FPS players, and I'm sure those of you who are already know that the Tribes: Vengeance open beta was released this weekend on Fileplanet (this is the full open...no fileplanet paid account required, but you still need a CD key that the site generates so you'll need a gamespy id acct.)

Anyways, I don't play that often, but when I do it's usually on the 5150 servers or Vanguard. I play as 'fukifino' so add me to yer buddy list if you play.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I used to be a hardcore Tribes 2 fan, I play T2 still, just not as often. People in T2 have been saying that T:V isn't as good has they hoped. They say the only upgrade is the graphics. I'll try it once I get my PC built, but I'm not going to waste my time d/ling it (I'm on 56k so d/ling it would take forever, lol).

By the way, have you tried out the vehicles? Are they cool?

Thanks
    I haven't had much chance to try out the vehicles yet. So far I've hopped in that floating death platform once, and the buggy once...the buggy is usefull with it's portable inventory station and I think with the right team tactics it could be brutal. But so far the vehicles don't seem to be dominating in any of the games I've played. They seem much less prevelant than they were in T2, although it's been a long ass time since I've played T2 (buggy ass p.o.s.)

I think there are enough fundamental differences from T2 to provide some interesting new game play ideas, while being similar enough to both its predecessors to not feel like you're playing a brand new game and learning from the ground up. But I was never a hard core tribes player, so maybe I'm a little more open minded.

Yeah, d/ling it on a modem would blow.

BTW, this is one of the most stable betas I've ever played. I'm still having a hard time believing I'm actually playing a Beta.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    I quite enjoy the gameplay of Tribes: Vengeance. It maintains the unique weapons of T2 with some awesome new features. Grappler--It add so much fun to the game, try it out. If you use it right you can get a huge speed boost using it. The vehicles and turrets, and, sadly, mortars are less prevalent than in t2, but still fun =D

Best thing is I don't get addicted to fps games so I'm not at risk of losing drawing time for it like with wc3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Is the disc homing? It looked much like it in a video.

Something between T1 classic and T1:renegades would be awesome. Tribes was fun to me because of the skiing and building. I can certainly imagine the grapling hook being fun and useful (for swinging around pillars/changing direction).
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Disk is NOT homing...I never saw any of the videos for T:V, but I've seen some of the classic Tribes 1 videos where people pull insane, accross map midairs...those guys put my prediction skills to shame.

I've seen some people who are really good with the grapple, especially on the "indoor" cave map...they do a little spiderman action on flag runs and it really makes them hard to chase down, mainly because as an ex-UT rocket ho, I tend to "shoot for the feet"...that is, my primary method of disking is to hit the ground near them, but these spidey-mofos never hit the ground. I've also seen heavies with the flag during standoffs on that map just hang in the middle of the cavern...great way to avoid a lot of fire...and I've seen some skillfull uses on the other maps.

At this point, my biggest complaint is the balance of the two asymetrical maps. I still haven't learned the names, but on the map where it's Phoenix vs. Imperials where each base is in the middle of a lake, I have yet to see Phoenix win. On the Imperial vs. Blood Eagle map, where the Blood Eagles main base is a large pyramid structure, I have yet to see Blood Eagles win. And if I have seen the deficit side win on either of these maps, it's usually due to ridiculous teams. But the winnars are consistently one sided which makes me believe the maps have something to do with it. Bah, I hate asymetrical maps. :/

Other than that, I'm liking it so far...although I actually think I preferred the auto-loadout mode of T2 better...in T2 you would select one of your preloads before ever approaching an inventory station, then the station would auto give you that preload. In T:V you select the preload on the pad...mind you, it's really quick (Shift+key), but I just hate having to hit the key...minor annoyance...I'll live with it.

I do like what they've done with the packs and now with the turrets/mines...defense placement is very much a team effort, although I have yet to see many teams actually do that...on a few of the maps, if you get a turret or two and a portable repair unit on the flag early enough, that could really save your ass...but if you're the only one doing it to start and it takes you 2-3 trips, a fast FC is already gone with your flag by the time you get the second deployable up.

I guess I have to get used to the new voice system, which I don't quite like as much as the old v->g->g, etc... one. I don't like that you have to hold down shift while hitting the menu options...it's annoying.
    Last edited by fukifino; September 9th, 2004 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    i was a huge T1 fan, and T2 ate my computer the first time i loaded it up...so i never tried it again, but ive been interested in this one. ive heard they made it more noob friendly, cuz lets face it, noobs havbe no change against experienced players in Tribes....it takes practice to ski well.
    im gonna dl this, sounds like fun =)
    -------
    I wont fail now