Struggling with toning... Need help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Struggling with toning... Need help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Struggling with toning... Need help

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and somewhat new to drawing. I only began drawing seriously two months ago when I stumbled across Andy Loomis' books on the net. I have learned a great deal about perspective, proportions and theories of shadows since then and I really have the motivation to continue, even though I may never become as good as some of the amazing artists on this site. My biggest problem so far, and I really need advice on this one, is what to do first. When I try to do human figure in general I find that I need proportions and perspective, also facial features, hands and feet. In which order should I learn these elements?

I'm also sending this sketch I did last night from a reference photo. If anyone remembers rock group from nineties Guns and Roses, this is the guitar player Slash. I think nothing captures so much raw energy as the rock photography. This is my first sketch from a reference, so please, hit me with all you got! I tried to render in shadow the black leather pants, but there was very little reflection on the surface so I couldn't squeeze out any shape. I'm not happy with it, please help me with your suggestions... Also, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post this sketch. I didn't trace the image, but I'm not sure of the USA copyright laws on this one... I live in eastern Europe ... But I guess you could consider it fan art?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it is considered a study. Studies from photo reference are not a problem.
    Just if you start selling it and the guys who own the copyrights for the photo don't like that ...
    then you might be in trouble.

The combination of lines and shading looks good.
    The proportions look pretty good too, just the legs look a little strange
    (and I might be wrong there).

What I think might help is not drawing subjects in front of a white background.
    That always suggests that the subject is bathed in light.
    Drawing in the background would probably be a good idea.

About the order to tackle things in ... I don't think it is possible to give a simple answer there.
    You don't just learn those things once and then use them.
    You'll always work on all those elements and improve in those areas.
    Just try something and when you are stuck think about what you have to learn before you can pull it off properly.
    Then you'll know why you suddently are working on the very basics.
    And have the motivation to do it.

Kinda on topic from Prometheus' website:
    Vision without action is a daydream,
    Action without vision is a nightmare.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find the hair texture impressive. On the other hand, I cannot tell that the trousers are leather if you did not mention it. Right now, it looked like denim to me. Perhaps you can try smoothing or increasing tonal contrast?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how could we forget?

Remember? how could we forget guns n' roses? slash rocks and you've really got his hair just right i think you could maybe add the top hat?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi IvkeBG...Great start !!!!
    I too only started drawing a couple of months ago and also find myself with so much to learn- where do I start. Some days I find it so overwhelming that I want to give up already but with perseverence I am learning that progress happens even if it's sometimes slow.
    My self inforced program at the moment is drawing from photos and recently I've started painting in photshop from ref photos too. I recently too joined a life drawing class which has been a bit daunting but good fun.
    I hope you stick at it...I find much inspiration from others that are starting out too.

Signature: I always love reading your comments. I can always apply the advice to my own work. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.