Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts

COW #339: Ice Bug - WIPs Thread

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #339: Ice Bug

Brief:
    Whenever we think about or discuss colder temperatures, bugs are usually not involved in the discussion except for when they are absent from the cold. For this round however we will be keeping with a winter based theme by designing a bug that is more than comfortable in cold environments. This bug could live in a cold environment and have adapted a certain way for it survive the freezing temperatures or it could be some kind of ability the bug has or it could be made of ice, you decide. Either way your task is to design this Ice Bug!

Round Requirements:
    -creature must resemble a bug of some kind
    -this bug is associated with ice in some way

Deadline:
    Wednesday December 17, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...86#post3893186

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thumbnails 1. Not surprised we came in last place with 0 votes again, a little embarrassing that three people keep coming in dead last, but we'll just have to work harder T_T.
    Thumbnail silhouettes by B and S.

Thanks
    Wait, you're three people?

Interesting silhouettes. The bottom left one has potential since it's a safe bug shape that we can all relate to.
    Last edited by seksi; December 11th, 2014 at 03:37 AM.

Thanks
    Some thumbs I made. I started to detail the ones that I like more...yeah I wasn't feeling 5 and 6 so much...

Thanks
    Hey everyone,
    Here's my starting wip. Not much in the designing front, mostly a modified weevil. It mimics snowflakes and feeds on pine needles as it needs the plant's antifreeze to survive the extreme cold.

Thanks
    Ice Bug

Thanks
    About six hours before the deadline! Get those entries in when they are finished!! Got one in the works myself so I'll see you guys in the finals thread!!
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Some recent observations have me notice that Wednesday nights may no longer be the ideal time for deadlines as the site seems to be a bit inactive, namely in the activities section. The current deadline is in half an hour but still no entries have been submitted...I will post the new deadline being this Friday night for the time being. I will ponder on other possibilities for the deadlines because I want to try to liven up this place a bit...I know one issue for the participation is convenience, perhaps moving the deadline to the weekend may work out for more people.

Thanks
    Might be low participation due to the holidays.