Thanks

Smile Student Research on Storyboard Artist

Hi everyone!

I'm a student at the Art Institute of Atlanta. I am doing research on the role of a storyboard artist and was wondering if anyone would help me out. I've listed some questions below for my research and it would be awesome to get some feedback from people who have worked as a storyboard artist or who are currently a storyboard artist.

Thanks for your time and support!
    Stephanie

Questions:

1. Which do you prefer doing storyboards for, animation or live action?

2. How much creative control do you have on the compostion of each sequence?

3. If any, what types of software do you use to create your storyboards?

4. In your opinion, what is one skill every storyboard artist should be skilled/trained in besides drawing?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    im not a proffessional storyboard artist, but i am taking that class right now at good ol' AIA...im assuming you havent taken that class yet...if you do...you will soon realize that it is one of the hardest classes in the animation major....

1) I prefer live action because you can draw in your own style...in animation you are gonna draw in whatever style the animation is

2) You have a little....depend on the script/ director....you may be able to exercise creativity...or you may have to bend to the director's will ie. character expression, camera angles, stagin, etc...but generally i would say not a whole lot

3) In our class we use pencils, then ink, then gray markers, then color. Im sure it doesnt really matter whether you use traditional, or digital ie. photoshop, painter....i prefer my good ol 2B

4) Being able to draw accurately is very important. You must be very skilled adept at proportions, constructive drawing, and good perspective....perspective is very important.....a love of film is a must....whenever you watch movies or tv...try to study the angles, and camera and character movements...figure out what works, and what is crap

hope that helps
    p.s....quinn and crystal are both awesome teachers
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"