Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Pol's Digital Artwork Sketchbook

**waves** Howdy, all.

Former graphic designer, long time CA.org admirer, but perpetual n00b with aspirations of changing that by putting pencil/stylus to paper/tablet and actually putting more of my Fine Art degree to use.

My goals include figure drawing, conceptual fantasy artwork, and to share my love of The Wheel of Time to anyone who will listen.

Critique is welcome!

Latest:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Polegnyn; March 4th, 2015 at 12:33 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Beginner shaded sphere study:

Thanks
    Welcome to CA officially! Good start on your basic shading exercises. Doing some basics myself (uber-noob here),

Speaking of Wheel of Time...I keep hearing that title. Guess I need to look into it huh?

Thanks
    Thanks so much! Glad to meet another self-proclaimed newbie.

And yes, definitely give the first book a try. The series has been a personal source of inspiration for the past 14 years.

Thanks
    ConceptART.org member Jason Ross challenged me to include more contrast so I did. Btw, is there a way I can link him so he knows he was mentioned?

Other objectives:
    * Stopped using undo, opting to paint in correct colors to fix mistakes
    * Attempting to render sphere without use of a clipping mask
    * Painting with white to simulate eraser
    * Attempting to simulate atmospheric space (can't remember the exact term for the out of focus quality surrounding a shape...)
    Last edited by Polegnyn; December 6th, 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Some of you may recognize #Proko's influence here

Objectives:

*Attempting to freehand the planar model so I'm aware of what planes go where before painting them in.
    *Overcoming the tendency to make my eyes too small.

Thanks
    Not particularly concerned with rendering the ear at this point. Rather I'm trying to construct a guide so I can draw any ear at any shape or size. Now to find a reference for the ear from a frontal view of the face. Any leads?

Thanks
    Started over on the facial drawing above with much better results now that the eyes are in proportion to the rest of the head. Ears haven't been worked in yet, though. Still looking for a clear frontal reference...

Thanks
    Several things to post, each with their own description:

1. Image of the rather startled face (first image) is another study on facial ratios. I think I got something I can remember a bit easier figured out now. Yes, the eyes are too open, but I can correct that once I start doing eye studies.

2. Day 1 of replicating a planar image (second image) created by fellow ConceptArt.org member, Jason Ross. Give him a search if you want to download a copy of the SketchUp file. He admits the features are exaggerated in case you're wondering, but it's a good introduction to seeing those planes and how they fit on the face regardless. My next objective is to work the planes into my own creation once I complete this planar face.

3. A digital image (third image) I made almost four years ago when I told myself I wanted to learn how to paint in Photoshop. Fixing this image (composition, facial structure, everything) and creating others similar to it are my motivations. Style influence from A. Andrew Gonzales... at least that's what I had in mind at the time. A link to the DeviantART.com submission if you want to read more about the piece itself.
    Last edited by Polegnyn; December 16th, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    wow man you are bery dedicated to those studies! You break them it small shape and analyse them very well. One good advice some artists gave me for my studies is do a lot of quick one, and sometimes, big ones! For example, if I want to do master studies, I'll do quick color thumbnail of 15 min. each, maybe 5 to 10, and after, a 2-3h long. But you do what you want, it's just an advice, there's planty of way to study

Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, I wanted to start slow so I wasn't doing the wrong things over and over for 100s of sketches. I'll move onto numerous quicker gesture studies once I'm done with the planar. To me the planar is helpful getting things in the right place on a 3D form and not just to see how light hits those planes.

Eta: "wrong" wasn't the right word to use... What I was trying to say is I have a much better understanding of how the face is constructed and I can focus on speed later. No point in being fast(er) if I'm not capturing my subject accurately.
    Last edited by Polegnyn; December 17th, 2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks
    Took a break from the planar today to quickly sketch some eyes. Not much to say other than all but #3 were from reference photos, and #2 incorporates some of the planar study. Clearly bigger is better and need practice on getting eyes to match one another.
    Last edited by Polegnyn; December 17th, 2014 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Hey, ma! Look, two eyes!

Anyway... Seems I need more than 10–15 minutes to get things down accurately. Oh well. Speed will come. Loving the alt color foundation lines, though.
    Last edited by Polegnyn; December 20th, 2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Practiced eyelashes and pupil placement over the last couple days. Funny that eyelashes are intimidating me. But I flipped my latest attempt upside down (or right-side up considering the eye itself is drawn upside down) in order to make the correct angle easier to achieve. What things have you done to accomplish challenging features?

Thanks
    Just testing out a Christmas gift... Still trying to find that elusive frontal view of the ear, too. lol
    Last edited by Polegnyn; December 26th, 2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: resized photo attachment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast