Thanks

Keepiru's Sketchbook: Oooh he naked! (9/16)

I figured it was high time I started posting some sketches up in here! Since its critique-a-friend month (or somehting like that), now is a better time than ever, so please feel free to rip me apart.

For my senior exit, I'm working on illustrations for C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series for children. It originally started as just character development, but the more I work on it the more I'm aspiring to full drawings. Ideally, some will lend themselves to book covers, others to displays, merchandise etc. etc. We'll see how it goes, but I welcome all advice!

This was one was inspired by Rubygenesis's manticore drawings, so I have to give her da credits. The lion in the books is godlike, so I was thinking of how to incorpotate this into my drawings. He creates the land and the stars, so I tried portraying some image of the cosmos in his physical form. I dunno how well it works, but whateva, it was fun to do.

And some older junk, just for fun. I hesitate to post these because they are pretty crappy, but I already had 'em scanned. The first one was inspired by Trina, the baddest bitch, diamond princess, and my personal hero.

So anyway, theres my start. Better stuff will be coming soon. Next time...figure studies! Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Keepiru; September 16th, 2004 at 10:40 AM.
    "You cannot, in today's world, judge a book by its contents" -Jon Stewart
    sketches
    website

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    it's a dog-eat-dog world in this sketch forum.. already on page2.

This just means you should update more.
    Cheers on the sb thread, I'm liken that hatched lion head, good luck with school.
    "I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    A beautiful day in the wake of Francis and three days straight of miserable weather. Good moods all around!

I went to a figure drawing studio last night...attended by the lovely and talented Kelly Arkitty and Master Steak (Tron that is), both possesing intimidatingly madskillz, but I gave it my best, and I was shyly glad when both gave me some really helpful suggestions. Anyhoo, I've gotten used to the hour-long poses of my figure drawing class, so I came out with little I was pleased with because I've forgotten how to draw quickly. It was a great refresher and good for my brain though

And some other stuff

Finally an update.. I promise to do it more often. No one has responded except for my dear friend Kemp-tron, and that makes me a sad panda, but I cant complain because I've been lazy with my posting all over. Anyway, thanks to all who have taken a peek, I loves.
    sketches
    website

Thanks

Thanks
    Those are definetly awesome! Keep up the sketch book, good luck with the Narnia project, sound really cool!!! Your style should work great for it!

Thanks
    don't be dismayed kerry, if you look in my thread I only got a light peppering of comments in the first several posts.

Your progress shows, the lion head previous was good but the environment with the moons is a step further. Cool things going on in that one, it's definitely my favorite of the bunch. Nice rendering on the pegasus, no doubt you were thinking of Mr. Dynamite while drawing it.

Your newfound commitment to the development shows and I urge you to keep it up But I will say you would benifit from a stronger understanding of structure, your taking care of anatomy with morrison's class but just the rendering of shapes, cylinders, cones etc. in space. Maybe try making a few human like figures out of shapes and try to build the structure in your mind. Use a reference, then don't etc. but try to get where you can construct an anime-ish character (or the like) with more of a believable 3d quality.
    Your doing a good job of this already but keep it in mind while your drawing.

I also think you could benefit from some eye-structure studies to help out your characters. You draw big eyes that are stylized (i do the same) but lack an anchoring in the skull. As Morrison would say your relying on a symbol, just develop the symbol, it's graphic design yo'

keep posting and draw that shit up yo!
    peace
    -k
    "I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Keepiru, the Dolphin Princess,
    I almost feel like I know you. Well, not really, but we have our connection w/ mutual friends from Athens and UGA. Anyhoo, it's good to see some pictures from you (I was always curious). The Chronicles of Narnia are good stuff, and you've got some good Aslan pics here. I see your comment about not thinking Disney, but I'm sure that it's hard to avoid the unintentional resemblence to Mufasa and the gang when it seems their style seems to fit so well w/ yours. I like the inkwash and lion in the tree w/ night sky. Maybe you could do a piece where you draw in linework, then use the inkwash for value? I dunno, I'm sure you'll come up w/ more stuff as you work on the project more and more. Figure drawing is good stuff (the mantra of CA). Just keep(iru) at it.

Thanks
    Hey guys, thanks for the warm replies all around. Its Friday and I'm burned out, so I didnt make it up to the art building to scan stuff (or do any of the other things I ment to do, for that matter!). But I wanted to reply to my replies!

rollb: Thanks for the compliment, I'm working at it, lol. I wanted to let you know, I'm from Richmond and actually almost went to VCU but didnt get the free ride there that I recieve in GA, so it would've been costly. Its a really great school though, so you're a lucky duck. But I visit up there a few times a year, so maybe next time Im around we could go do some sketchin!

Delta: I appreciate the kind words of encouragement, it makes me feel all good inside ^_^.

Kemp-tron: "Pegasus crossing" was definately on my mind, but I love that shit, you know. I thank you for the critique, sometimes its easier for me to understand things when they are written out for me! I definately agree with your commentary, I'm so super line-reliant that I feel like much of my stuff falls flat, and I need to work (especially with the more cartoony stuff) on getting that sense of roundness and basic shape. I was looking at this animator's site who just started working with dreamworks, and you can see under her sketches her breaking down of the form into basic 3-D shapes. This is stuff I learned to do in basic art, but It takes quite a bit more thought to apply it to the figure. I talked with Morrison about it today, and she gave me some pointers to make it a little easier, along with anatomy type stuff to help me with heads and hands. The same goes for they eyes, Ive noticed that many great Renissance and Mannerist artists exaggerate the eyes so they are very large, but it doesnt look wierd because they are grounded in the skull. I notice it alot looking back at my old stuff that I have eye problems, so I will heed your advice and do some refrence and studying. Anyway, I'm working at it, so I will keep you posetd.

elboy: So nice of you to reply! Concerning the Narnia stuff, I write down all the advice my teachers give so I dont forget things, and my exit teacher was telling me to avoid the cliche Disney style, even though I love that stuff and they do it so well. He notes that it is all predictable, and I want soemthing that stands out, but I cant really help how Im inclined to draw so I'm wracking my brain trying to find a happy medium. Anyway, I was planning to combine the ink with some linework, I just need to get a better feel for it, and that involves practice practice! I will definately keep things updated though. CA is incredibly helpful and a huge resource, I feel indebted to kemp for waking me up to it.
    Anyway, I hear that you're going to be in town tomorrow, so hopefully we can meet and I can finally put a face to the name. Mutual friends are great, and the more people I meet on CA the better, Im really starting to feel like a part of the community here, and its nice. Im digressing...the point is that I'd be excited to meet you and see how you work and just hang out, so we should make that shit happen, man!

Thanks to all for the responses and warm welcomes! I loves!

-Keeps
    Last edited by Keepiru; September 11th, 2004 at 01:41 AM.
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    Small update...went downtown Saturday night with Elboy and Steak Tron, had a great time, did a few sketches, drank a little more than I expected to, and went and lost my sketchbook... thats what I get I guess.
    Anyway, yesterday I busted my booty on class related stuff I had been neglecting all weekend, but managed to sqeeze a sketch in.

Probably not going to mess with it anymore, its totally non-referenced so there are lots of problems spattered throughout, especially with the girl (she has googley ghost-eyes for starters...again with the eyes! ^_^) but It was a nice distraction for a little while, so Im not too worked up about it!

-Keeps (trying not to sulk too much over the loss of my book)
    Last edited by Keepiru; September 13th, 2004 at 02:13 PM.
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    Went to figure drawing studio last night with Steak and A. Kitty. We had this awesome emaciated guy who got into some purty crazy poses, so it was nonstop action-packed fun. Got alot of butts, so I hope everyone likes butts.

Can anyone tell what Keepiru CAN'T draw?
    If you guessed feet, you'd be right.

Anyway, some nonreferenced crappy doodles while off task in illustration class ( I know, I know...the girls face...not right)

Anyway, I welcome all critique...so anybody...feel free...

-Keeps
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    youve got some great stuff here.... my fav is
    I love the way you rendered this tree....this is either an immensely strong tree or that lion is not as heavy as he appears

Thanks
    had to smile when i read "should not think disney" in one of you lion sketches, think you should look into the anatomy of the lion more like bonestructure and muscels so you have more tools to play with and finaly desgine you own keepiru lion.

A very special place, grammatically speaking...
    Thanks
    I love the sketches, Keepiru. My only problom is the lack of differences in tone, but maybe you have the scanner contrast setting high. Great work!

AND I know what book that name is from! Cool.
    Tell me, do you think I exist, or am I a figment of my own imagination?