Sketchbook: Crunches Book: BACK AGAIN! 11/13 (heavy dl)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crunches Book: BACK AGAIN! 11/13 (heavy dl)

ok now kemp janu and roy can get the hell off my back about a sketchbook thread...more very soon cuz im in a rush...hope you all enjoy.

Last edited by Crunch; November 13th, 2004 at 06:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nice work crunch

i just had to tell you that you have a good start on the sketchbook. keep posting your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeeaahh pope crunch paul III! Alright i will officially stop bothering you about starting a thread and now hound you to update it. It's always something...

Great pages my man, I'm going to give you some semi-generic comments, your anatomy is coming along well, separating the muscles out is a good way to learn placement and interaction but think about surface shadow structures too (ooo how fancy...)

Liken' those ladies too.
    keep em coming mr. bigshot ringling guy

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehey look who's here! Glad you finally decided to join us. Cool stuff going on here, I really like those costume designs ya got there. I guess my crit would be to get the gesture of the whole figure, which you're already doing, but on some of these it looks like you kinda focus on details of one part of the body then move on to the next. It would probably also help to imagine the silhouette of your figures and see if they still read well. If that third page is any indication though, I'm expecting some really good stuff from you. 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the world of tomorrow. or the world of sketchbooks, anyway. as the roomies mentioned, it's clear you've got some understanding of muscles and interaction of muscle groups. I also see a consciousness (?) of the rib cage. Good stuff. I agree w/ Groover's comment as some of the figures look like a collection of parts instead of a single unit. Actually, looking over your drawings again, that's not necessarily the case, but since I mentioned it, I'll go ahead an harp off a couple mantras of a great figure drawing professor I had: when drawing work from large to small, from the general to the specific. I think those are good things to remember all the time (again, not saying you're not doing this, but just keep it in mind). Be wary of hurricanes this weekend. I was supposed to head down to Panama City for the holiday weekend, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea now... So, yea, take care, Paul.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more more!

thanks alot for the comments guys. its good to get some feed back. i hope this is implied but if not ill just say it... be as harsh and honest as is necessary...i learn from criticism much more than anything...ill definately keep what you guys have to say in mind when im drawing.

hopefully with this sketchbook thread ill do two things.

1.)help others out by showing my process,giving tips, answering questions etc...hopefully even inspire people to keep drawing like crazy and never stop learning.

2.)get the much needed help and critizism from others on all levels of the art community we have here. learn like crazy and always be inspired.

its a two way street with this thread. ok enough talking. more posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

older stuff

most of this stuff is semi old...bout 6 months...besides the big drawing of my brother blake...he is a monster...only 16 and can already bench 200 lbs. great model too.

guys thanks for the comments...roy it shouldnt hit too hard here in sarasota but who knows...ill watch my back though. kemp and janu ill work more on my planes and shading...still got a long way to go on that. thanks for keeping me on my toes.
    more work.

my brother blake and thats my friend nick on his back...my brother is a freggin ogre. and yes he is that defined.

my friend leanne posed for me on this one

some sketches of my friend michelle. still need to learn how to draw female faces...ill work more on that.

hope you all enjoy...and as always feel free to ask questions, critique, give me tips, or rip my shit to hell...i got a hard shell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update again so soon? Geezus you're making me look bad!!!

Man I gotta tell you, I'm a little envious you have this Leanne friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

do not be fooled

groover, alot of this stuff is from those two big sketchbooks i brought to austin and they are now filled up to the brim...so im just posting old stuff that i did a few months back...but i did tell you that i was drawing like crazy...so now i can challenge you to draw more! muahahahahahahaha...sorry...keep it real man. any crits are greatly appreciated...even if you think i know somthing...i probably dont...i still consider myself very amature. thanks for posting i should have some more sheit up tonight or tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well lets see.. AWESOME, I really like everything you did! I need to learn how to do thumbnails, caus I never do them, and I think they help alot.... Ummm 1 thing... if you say you need to draw womens faces, do it... Even if you screw up keep doin em, I have a tough time with them and so i've been doin a few paintings, and trying to get the faces right... Ummm it helps alot, but I guess you already knew this... Keep postin! 'Nother thread goin in my favorites!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

super dump...

ok guys im gonna dump everything that i like that ive done in the past year until now. no order really...then ill get more organized...it just takes so damn long to order all this stuff cronologically. if you see a sketch of someone and you say to yourself "that looks like (insert a pros name here) works...you are probably right...i do copy alot of the pros work and other peoples work for the purpose of learning and learning only...i do not claim that these sketches are all original works.there are alot of non original sketches that i copied from many people like wes, marko, danny, android, kev, el coro and others. doing this helps me learn what makes their stuff great and how i can achieve their understanding of anatomy composition spacaial relationships etc. so enough talking here is my dump of junk

friends of mine

character i made up

and his momma

cant wait to get replies keep drawing everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you've got tons of great stuff in here! I really love your costume/clothing designs and your figures are looking awesome. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duuuuuude.

paul yous is productive, unlike moi.

the process and progress in these are cool. i like your conceptual drawing with figure and creatures, more of those intwined stuff, which is always fun.
    keep up the good work man, im always stoked to see your new stuff.

we must draw sometime. sooooon

laterx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SOO MUCH QUALITY ART... jeez... anyways, I relly relly like yer character concepts, keep on postin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys...well the hurricane the size of florida is now expected to hit pretty hard in my area...the school is shutting down and everything.

burning eyes thanks for the comments..but i still think my characters need alot of work. alot of them still seem stale and the costumes could be a bit more inventive and more believeable. (?)

miguel! yeah we wont have any labs open this weekend so ill definately stop by your place to draw. fews is closed tonight as far as i know.

groover...leanne is a great model and i am sad to say i did not capture her true beauty in those drawings. perhaps next time.

ill post more drawings in a few days. thanks for the comments again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aaaah red x's all up in my grill!

fix yo shit yo, soz i can see the goods.

word. to your mother.

sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ringling server down

goodole IT has shut down the server for the hurricane...stupid...itllbe upsoon kemp dont worry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

server back up

ok kemp no more red x's i swear. that hurricane took the servers down...but all is well. so look at my shizat yo! ill post more soon also

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work man, I think you are you best critic. Your costumes have an interesting quality when you go for something less obvious. I know most of these are ninjas but you may want to experiment with something like a ninja warrior mixed with aborigine tribal face piercing and marmoset facial structures. My point is if you want to beef up your characters do some research. You probably have lots of schools shit to do but the sooner you get in the habit of investigating the more your ideas will flourish. If I'm trying to get something going sometimes I go down to the library and start pulling books off the photography shelf, or just the art floor in general. The Library is your friend, and while it's not the coolest place to hangout the more your characters are based in reality the more convincing and substantial they will be. Truth is stranger than fiction, in allot of ways.

I also think you could work on the life drawings, I'm not trying to be an ass but I see a familiar stylizing in all of your figures, including the life drawings. You need to break yourself of familiar habits and tricks. This is something I try to do all the time, once you pick something up move along to the next. All those tricks pile up in your "toolbox" (cheesy analogy). Styling is good, especially in the concept world but it's something that comes naturally. An illustrator reviewing my work once told me "style is the product of your most honest efforts", I have to agree with him. When drawing from life try to get as accurate as possible, my father used to tell me to "draw exactly what you see, clear your head of what it's supposed to look like. Then years latter my figure teacher told us to "avoid symbols, be as accurate as possible and draw exactly what you see". You've probably heard this before but I think you cold push this concept more. The life drawings look like your character sketches, which are interesting, but not life like. If you go for realism in the life drawings it will only strengthen your concept work.

You have a unique way of drawing which is tremendously important. I just think you could kick it up a notch - and I know you will.
    best of luck homes
    -kemp

sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm impressed with the volume of work you have here! Shows some progress, too. Steak-tron hit most of the things I would have said about anatomy and drawing what you see and not what you know... Something to look for when you're looking for reference is to find pictures of people with really different anatomy and look for the anchor points that are the same in the skeletons no matter if you're short/tall/fat/skinny. Underneath the muscle and fat, most skeletons are very very similar. Get the anchors right and you can pile on all the muscle and fat and scales etc. and it will work.

In regards to costume and character design, do your best to figure out if you've seen it before in an anime or a videogame. I prefer to start character designs from historical references -- the thousands of nutty human societies have created so many different styles of clothes and weapons that it's almost a ridiculous attempt to try to create something brand new all from your head. Find reference for 3 cultures from around the world and across time, mix them up and something different will come out that you would have never before imagined.

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks you two for the comments...and your right...im getting a bit too comfortable where im at but dont worry it passed last night for some reason.

steak- yeah...need to work on different cultures. i want to start rocking enviorments and possibly some mechanical designs and im excited about it. ill keep everything you said in mind. and dont worry i needed that crit badly thanks for always keeping me on my toes.

bwkeough-same goes for you my friend. you hit the nail on the head. i need to break out of my current boundries that i have set for myself. thanks for the help.

ok 3 more drawings.

the left guy is a character im working on but he still isnt finished...i want to explore every possibility with him. so any advise is welcome. its a bad scan though...scanning is a trouble with me.

random girlies...took most from ref and played with clothing.

trying to work on drawing females...and having withdrawls from austin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok well things are lookin a bit slow here so im puttin some new shizat up. hope you like. just some characters im noodling around with. the scans dont pick up all the little details...i think its the graphite glare. well anyway here it is.

just some notes and whatnot trying to get better and more confident with my work

i tried to put figures in space with this one pretty happy with the results...but then again im not...

im trying to play with ideas of a dark character who is a total biggot and indulges in everything. totally selfish any ideas or crits will be totally helpful.

ok so herre is my new stuff hope you like but if not then let me know what i can do to improve...i hope thats everyones goal on these threads...improvement. crits comments always welcome. peace out

crunch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it just my imagination? Or are your pages getting better and better?!

Sweet stuff, Crunch! Your understructure studies are killer, and that's the foundation upon which all great figure artists are built.

I like your character designs...are you building a story with those? I particularly liked the guy with the HUGE helmet.

Keep up the great work, and I'll check back in for another dose.

Cheers!~~~JadeDragon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool pages ma-man. Interesting concepts and nice elaborate/intricate costumes. Great designs man, keep working with that last one. Just don't get too confortable drawing the same pose. I'd suggest warming up with straight anatomy studies then characterizing (not always but you get the idea). Try challenging yourself to doing the figures from strange angles (like the page with all the lady-asses) or forced perspective. Even If you don't do finished works like this the practice will come in handy. (It does for me.)

Bingo is an evil mo' fo'. Nice environment shot too.
    Hope you told that bitch-ass Ivan whatup (i diddn't...)

sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellant, you've got some skillz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im back with two new sketches bitches!

jade dragon- your sketchbook is the shit man...your pencils are great. id love to have your knowledge of shading forms and putting figures in space. yeah im building a story with most of these characters for my junior thesis in fine arts. these are just the sketches of some of the characters. im planning to sketch out enviorments within the next week. ill tell you more if your interested.

steak! i cant thank you enough for the crits. i did about 100 gestures on a giant sheet of paper but i dont have a camera to take photos and i know of no scanner that large at school so im afraid i cant show you those but im doing more refined drawings in my sketchbook.

waronmars- thanks man...but they arent as good as i would like them to be. im trying to catch up to some of the great ones on this board...some day perhaps.

more to come you freaks of nature.

same guy as posted last...still need to give him a name that isnt chiche.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

doodles

two more but the poses are lookin funny. ive been fighting with it...anywayhere they are.

pose is akward...think the anatomy is off...plus the ink bled on the face so i stopped drawing this one.

im trying to shade with no real hatching so to speak...trying to get a softer feel for the form....but nowthat i look at it somthing is off...dunno how to pin point it but maybe someone can help.

more to come tomorrow. see ya then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of stuff you have here man, It┤s really good. Try to practice more your shades.

keep posting!

Freelancer Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok some more character drawings and costume designs. im trying to get more confident in my line. well cofident and accurate... well heres the junk

some quickies....bleh

costume design for the unnamed character...

before...

after...

let me know what you think. enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok time to renew this thread. new stuff...

quickies...

random stuff.

study for a painting.

didnt like the pose on the first study so i drew the character seperately. im diggin it but it still needs alot of work. i think the proportions are still off...

more soon. peace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.