Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Michael78's Sketchbook

Thanks

Michael78's Sketchbook

Thought I would start one of these online sketchbooks... heres a few pages to start it off. I did these while attending one of the seattle sketch group meets. ill post more when I have time to set the scanner up for speed scanning

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey! Welcome aboard.

First of all good to see you sketching, thats always good. I think the best thing for you right now would be too watch your mark making. Get some 8.5x11 sheets of paper and practice hatching, making lines, drawing lines and just keep drawing different lines alternating and all around have a bit of fun. Then do circles and so on. Line quality is key to doing art!!

The "scratchy" shows unsure lines and unnecessary lines that confuses to what is actually there under the many lines.

Keep practicing, putting the pencil on paper is a good start. Just keep going!

Oh and btw you might want to resize your images a little bit, they are a bit too large for viewing !

Thanks
    thanks endregan, I need to setup the scanner so those first pics were too big. I just resized em though... as for the extra marks yeah, I tend to draw too gestural like and end up skipping the rendering process. As I continue to do updates im going to focus on the process of thumbnails/sketchs/quick renders with shading etc. I checked out your sketchbook.. looks like your making lots of progress, keep it up!
    Cause if my baby dont love me, I know her sister will...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Heres a couple from life drawing on sunday.. and some random stuff from the week.

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Ive been working on some portraits (15 min) using form following lines.. Its pretty hard but im seeing some improvement. Im also starting to work out some ideas for the latest Seattle VS Cali T-dome. Im designing a near future vehicle pilot/driver. Im doing some studies of the cool characters from the game mech assault 2. They are really well designed and executed. One thing I have stayed away from in the past is "copying" other artists work to gain skill... I now realize thats kinda foolish and plan on doing alot of copying to gain skill and technique.

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Michael- cool man, still diggin on those vehicles, they seem to flow for you more. Keep it up dude.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    thanks bojee.. ive been itching to do more vehicle sketches/designs but now ive got the T-dome to do. I ended up PMing sinix when he asked last minute for a challenger.. Im in way over my head now hes really skilled haha. Itll go good as long as I keep widdling away at my driver concepts. I just aim to make progress and turn out something somewhat professional. If i set my pencil rendering up correctly I can accomplish that. Cant rush it and wait last minute. I dont have enough experience with rendering.. here is a vehicle I just finished for my portfolio. Its 3D so ill just leave a link

Near Future Pod Racer

same

SketchBook

Thanks
    Wow,fun stuff, some of the most professional work I've seen you do, haven't seen a lot of your work though. Cooolio. OH , hey what's your challenge?
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Keep the sketches coming dude! Some of those SPs are looking really good -- you did alot of them! And as for copying other artists, I do it all the time.. I like to look at several different artists at the same time and kind of combine their styles together to make up something new from it.. it's like when DJs sample some old jazz beats to make new hip hop tracks.. you're just doing it with the pencil instead of the turntables!

Thanks
    wikity wikity eek, yes DJ's

It's looking good man, I was wondering where your sketchbook was. I love the portraits very cool, and yeah the vehicle designs are really creative. I need to start practicing mannequins like that so i can pose my characters more. Keep the updates coming, I know you have more than this.
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Heres a big update for the week of 9/10 to 9/17... from here on out I think ill be updating only once or twice a week. I hate scanning

As for what ive been working on this last week:

Self portraits- Im trying to learn value by using form following lines. Its REALLY hard but im seeing improvement. Im also seeing ALOT more detail in peoples faces when I look at them I see the planes of the skull showing from under their plasticeeee skin and to be honest it kinda freaks me out. Everyone looks different when you're drawing every day and in the groove. Almost like artists have X-ray vision

Futuristic Race Car Pilot/Driver- This is my seattle vs cali thunderdome subject. I havent been working on it as much as i should cause I really like doing the sp's. What I have been doing is drawing characters out of the starwars books and drawing some of Josh Nizzis characters for the new mech assault 2. After a few days of copying I felt ready to design my own character and turned out a couple cool little sketchs. The sketch closest to what Ill be doing for the final version is on the 2nd to last page of this update. A skinny guy with a frame reminescent of eon flux. Hes going to have a kind of F1 racing harness/neck brace over his shoulders. I now need to sit down and do the finals. I only have this weekend but im confident I can get something cool now that ive been drawing 3-4 hours each night.

Sok N. Wett- your right i do have more.. here it is keep up the drawing on your end dude!

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Last edited by Michael78; September 18th, 2004 at 05:00 AM.

SketchBook

Thanks
    I like that last update! Lots of great stuff in there.. good work on those SPs and value studies.. I wish I could offer more crits, but I'm still trying to learn that same stuff too! Keep on drawing man!!

Thanks
    Lookin good, you've been drawing more than I have lately... did you finish the thunderdome yet? I'm trying to work it out now.. it's like high school all over again with me handing everything in at the last second.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast