Sketchbook: Michael78's Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Michael78's Sketchbook

Thought I would start one of these online sketchbooks... heres a few pages to start it off. I did these while attending one of the seattle sketch group meets. ill post more when I have time to set the scanner up for speed scanning

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Welcome aboard.

First of all good to see you sketching, thats always good. I think the best thing for you right now would be too watch your mark making. Get some 8.5x11 sheets of paper and practice hatching, making lines, drawing lines and just keep drawing different lines alternating and all around have a bit of fun. Then do circles and so on. Line quality is key to doing art!!

The "scratchy" shows unsure lines and unnecessary lines that confuses to what is actually there under the many lines.

Keep practicing, putting the pencil on paper is a good start. Just keep going!

Oh and btw you might want to resize your images a little bit, they are a bit too large for viewing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks endregan, I need to setup the scanner so those first pics were too big. I just resized em though... as for the extra marks yeah, I tend to draw too gestural like and end up skipping the rendering process. As I continue to do updates im going to focus on the process of thumbnails/sketchs/quick renders with shading etc. I checked out your sketchbook.. looks like your making lots of progress, keep it up!

Cause if my baby dont love me, I know her sister will...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a couple from life drawing on sunday.. and some random stuff from the week.

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been working on some portraits (15 min) using form following lines.. Its pretty hard but im seeing some improvement. Im also starting to work out some ideas for the latest Seattle VS Cali T-dome. Im designing a near future vehicle pilot/driver. Im doing some studies of the cool characters from the game mech assault 2. They are really well designed and executed. One thing I have stayed away from in the past is "copying" other artists work to gain skill... I now realize thats kinda foolish and plan on doing alot of copying to gain skill and technique.

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael- cool man, still diggin on those vehicles, they seem to flow for you more. Keep it up dude.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks bojee.. ive been itching to do more vehicle sketches/designs but now ive got the T-dome to do. I ended up PMing sinix when he asked last minute for a challenger.. Im in way over my head now hes really skilled haha. Itll go good as long as I keep widdling away at my driver concepts. I just aim to make progress and turn out something somewhat professional. If i set my pencil rendering up correctly I can accomplish that. Cant rush it and wait last minute. I dont have enough experience with rendering.. here is a vehicle I just finished for my portfolio. Its 3D so ill just leave a link

Near Future Pod Racer

same

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow,fun stuff, some of the most professional work I've seen you do, haven't seen a lot of your work though. Cooolio. OH , hey what's your challenge?

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep the sketches coming dude! Some of those SPs are looking really good -- you did alot of them! And as for copying other artists, I do it all the time.. I like to look at several different artists at the same time and kind of combine their styles together to make up something new from it.. it's like when DJs sample some old jazz beats to make new hip hop tracks.. you're just doing it with the pencil instead of the turntables!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wikity wikity eek, yes DJ's

It's looking good man, I was wondering where your sketchbook was. I love the portraits very cool, and yeah the vehicle designs are really creative. I need to start practicing mannequins like that so i can pose my characters more. Keep the updates coming, I know you have more than this.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a big update for the week of 9/10 to 9/17... from here on out I think ill be updating only once or twice a week. I hate scanning

As for what ive been working on this last week:

Self portraits- Im trying to learn value by using form following lines. Its REALLY hard but im seeing improvement. Im also seeing ALOT more detail in peoples faces when I look at them I see the planes of the skull showing from under their plasticeeee skin and to be honest it kinda freaks me out. Everyone looks different when you're drawing every day and in the groove. Almost like artists have X-ray vision

Futuristic Race Car Pilot/Driver- This is my seattle vs cali thunderdome subject. I havent been working on it as much as i should cause I really like doing the sp's. What I have been doing is drawing characters out of the starwars books and drawing some of Josh Nizzis characters for the new mech assault 2. After a few days of copying I felt ready to design my own character and turned out a couple cool little sketchs. The sketch closest to what Ill be doing for the final version is on the 2nd to last page of this update. A skinny guy with a frame reminescent of eon flux. Hes going to have a kind of F1 racing harness/neck brace over his shoulders. I now need to sit down and do the finals. I only have this weekend but im confident I can get something cool now that ive been drawing 3-4 hours each night.

Sok N. Wett- your right i do have more.. here it is keep up the drawing on your end dude!

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

Last edited by Michael78; September 18th, 2004 at 06:00 AM.

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that last update! Lots of great stuff in there.. good work on those SPs and value studies.. I wish I could offer more crits, but I'm still trying to learn that same stuff too! Keep on drawing man!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good, you've been drawing more than I have lately... did you finish the thunderdome yet? I'm trying to work it out now.. it's like high school all over again with me handing everything in at the last second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys. Sinix ive got the design for the T-dome done in my sketchbook but still have to do the final. Ill do that tonight. Hopefully it turns out well in the larger more finished size. Im sure youll turn out something wicked.. should be cool.

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael- Nice , some of those last self portraits are looking better. Your making progress, keep it up. One more thing the posts seem kind of all over the place, maybe try focusing on one area for a while.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bojee, not sure what you mean by the posts "all over the place". Im still trying to find out what I like to draw/design.. ive spent the majority of my learning doing life drawing and havent done alot of conceptual drawing. Do you recommend I limit my posts or just limit my subjects?

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael- Sorry dude, maybe that came out wrong,definitely don't limit your posts, if anything I'd love to see more. Sorry Keep them coming.

Just thought it was a little hard to see where you wanted to take them.

Last edited by Bojee; September 21st, 2004 at 04:49 AM.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a midweek update. Worked on skulls to help with SP's. Worked on futuristic racecar driver for T-dome comp. After watching Sky Captain this weekend I got some of the images stuck in my head and doodled what I could remember. Really like the design of that film. Ill have to pick up a "making of art book" if one comes out.

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres my T-dome entry.. I think it turned out great. I was a little worried that I wouldnt warm back up to drawing and design after taking so much time off. Its coming back quickly though and soon Ill be back to creating the characters and vehicles Ive had in my head for awhile. I love this near future stuff. Kinda Sci-Fi, kinda tech, but seated firmly in OUR world. This guy is an F1 race car driver in the near future. Hes wearing a race suit and safety harness to prevent whiplash. The helmet is now attached to him and he only removes the face plate when he exits the vehicle. As for the rendering Im learning alot about value and control with the pencil. I have spent very little time on rendering images. I usually draw quickly in a gestural style and sloppily fill up sketchbooks with random ideas. Im filling up a new sketchbook and posting it online here with more "finished" drawings. I still hesitate to do a drawing that fills up the whole sketchbook page but as I do more renders Ill be focusing on that.

Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really feeling this design, it's so authentic, something I can vision being real, anything can be real with hollywood. I really hope you win this one, cause I think your "concept" was more in depth, and you really put some thoughts into the whole gadgets on his suit and helmet. Hoping to see more updates.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Michael, love the sky captain stuff and it looks like your t-dome entry was influence by it. Tracing paper is a fun way to try refining an image, I'd love to see this one inked.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok heres another big update.. I took a couple a days off from drawing after the T-dome and am now back at it. Im designing a succubus for the cgchat.com game art competition.

succubus comp thread

Ill be spending more time with 3dsmax and photoshop over the next week so wont be drawing as much... everything in moderation though

you can see the progression of succubus designs.. the first few pages are just copies from other succubus designs and female figures. By the last page I think ive come up with a somewhat unique character. Hopefully im not taking too much from guys like simon bisley.. I heavily referenced his work for the wings and horns. But everywhere I looked succubus designs look kinda similar. A chick with a devilish demeanor, horns, wings, and maybe some type of little hoof feet.

Ive also done some more SP's.. the last couple are the result of getting a little bored and wanting to progress farther so I just started adding stuff. I had alot of fun doing these and plan on doing more everyday for an hour or so in prep for the portrait show.

Whoa am I creating an online sketchbook or a diary here? Maybe I just need a hug..

Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Michael78's Sketchbook

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael- Nice stuff bro, I was looking up images of succubus and saw lots of images with horns and wings too, why not take a different approach? What do you think she would use her horns and wings for? I see her as a comsumer of souls so how would she do that? what about her form would help her to do that. Maybe a before and after would be interesting. Maybe you just want to do the horns and wings but the more original you are the more it seperates you from the pack. this is one image I found which I thought was a more original approach. Peace bro.
    Michael78's Sketchbook
    Hope you don't mind me posting this.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Now that's a chastity belt that says do not enter here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bojee, thanks that is a great picture to come back from lunch too as for the design Im trying to keep it true to what a succubus is supposed to be.. a female demon? Its for a comp so I dont want to go tooooo wild. I hear what your saying about breaking away from the pack. My idea was to give her horrific demon skin everywhere but on her torso, face, and shoulders. So she would still be appealing when you wake up and shes riding you.. then after your eyes adjust your like WTF!

Im going to tweak her design a little more..

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotcha, Just thought I'd mention it, a female demon can take on a lot of forms. Look forward to the finish.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a good thing going. But I've seen very little variation in the way your images are approached. You've got to want to change, you have to want more to get more! I've found one small thing that will greatly help your facial anatomy. Your eyes, in virtually every picture are almost entirely flat. Now...it's important to understand the nature of eyes. At a superficial level they may actually appear anything but spherical, but that couldn't be further from the truth. While the contour of the eye may take many shapes, the founding shape is always spherical. The eye does not sit flat on the face, it is actually indented in the skull under the brow..yeah you know that, but at the same time the eye protrudes from the socket in which it lays, it's convex to the surface it lives on. Being a sphere with an image on it...let's call that image the pupil...whenever it turns away from us the image will change shape...become more and more oval until it disappears on the other side. The eyelids are spheres too...with a sort of cheese slice cut out of the middle to reveal the inner layer of the jawbreaker. As the face moves from strait-on to profile, the eye on the opposing side of the face will start to move closer to the base of the bridge of the nose because of it's placement within the brow. At the same time the right side of the eye will start to wrap around and we will loose sight of the part where the eyelids meet on the outside.

My point is....you need to take into consideration how much life 3 dimensional eyes can give your faces and benefit from it. A good practice is to draw the face, construct the features, and draw spheres in the sockets with no skin on them....then work on wrapping the eyelids around the spheres. Make sure you are not drawing the entire sphere on the surface of the face, less than half of the sphere is actually protruding from the socket.

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one2hit: WOW! now thats the type of crit Im looking for Ive gone back and looked at my drawings and really see what your talking about with the eyes. I think part of my problem is that ive read from Vilppu that beginners shouldnt draw eyes.. or at least draw them last. Maybe im subconsciously not spending time on them. Ive definetly been drawing them.. but I havent been focusing on them.. thinking that will take away from learning the large planes of the skull/face. I think im probably ready though to do larger more detailed drawings and start studying features more. Eyes/nose/eyelids etc.. Im going to take your advice and draw the spheres in the socket and then add the eyelids over them.

Also Ive never thought about the pupil being an "image" placed over the eye and drawing it so it gets "thinner" as the eye turns and recedes into space. Ill work on that.

As for your comment about the drawings all being the same in approach im not sure what you mean.. are you refering to the use of "materials" or the step by step process I do my drawings. So far ive been doing SP's in the mirror, drawing the skull from anatomy books and the plastic skull i own. and also doing skull drawings by looking at myself in the mirror. Can you elaborate more on "different approaches" thanks!

check back later i do alot of sp's

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should approach the face as an entire problem...like a complicated math problem. It's important to figure out the different parts, but if you don't finish every piece of the problem, then you haven't solved the equation. In this case, not giving the viewer a valid head. You are getting close! When you start doing math as a no0b you are constantly writting shit down, more than you need. Veterans can make good mental notes about what they are doing and blast them out of their ass later. What you need to remember, I think, is that the eye is a series of planes in itself, it is an integral part of the face, and is necessary in putting weight and validity into your heads. Also, constructing realistic eyes will greatly help your symmetry, and sense of balance, no matter what direction you draw the face in. As you'll soon discover, the eyes fall on a line that runs perpandicular to the line that runs from the cupid's bow to the glabela

....hold on, j-lo is nippin' on live tv....

ok it's over. No matter what direction the head is facing, that rule will is almost always enforced (I guess not all heads are the same, and some break the rules a little).

As far as your approach I was refering to your faces. It seems like they all look the same, and that makes me think that they were thought about,drawn, and rendered in the same manner and order. Maybe you should spend a little more time constructing the features of the head. Don't worry about drawing every plane. Some aren't necessary to be drawn in your construction procedure, and you will discover that the more you pressure yourself to draw better. Every head you will draw will be different, even if it is the same person. Learn to develope mental notes, about where planes are and use that knowledge when you start mapping your shades or thinking about tone. The more you do this, the more you can simplify your drawing procedure, and spend more time thinking about tones and their relationship to planes.

With that said, I think you should practice up on your hands too. You can create some powerful images by combining hands and faces. Hands can be "eye guiders" leading to your face as a focal point. Here, let me whip out some hands for ya real quick in my trusty app; Ms paint. and mouse of course : P
    http://home.comcast.net/~bissett5/hand.GIF
    these are by no means totally accurate, but I spent like 10 minutes on the whole thing...still not an excuse. I'm not that great an artist, but it shows that observation is a great assistant, I think.

Just think. Observe. Look at your face a while in a mirror, rotate it around, look everywhere and observe everything. Take a beach ball or something and draw a pupil on it with a dry eraser and look at it from different views if you have to. Drawing is really a game of experience and knowledge, I think. The more you think about what you're drawing and how it should look the less things you have to draw on the page for assistance, and the faster and more accurate you will become. One more thing...sometimes I like to talk about things like I really know what I'm talking about, like George Bush, or John Kerry. If any of you read things that aren't true, or if I'm just talking out of my ass, feel free to call me on it.

Last edited by one2hit; October 7th, 2004 at 01:15 PM.
    N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where you at bro?? Your sketchbook is missing you.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.