Thanks

Unhappy Art Block.. or Something Else?

Hello all.
    I first started drawing about three years ago and from the start I loved it to no end. I would spend all my time drawing, and I would never feel the time passing as I did. I loved creating. It was everything to me and I wanted nothing to change. I figured I would spend the rest of my life drawing, and I did everything I could to improve as fast as possible.

But recently, as I started trying out more difficult pieces, I fell into artblock. I was stuck on perspective.. It just didn't make sense to me, and all my art (in persoective) seemed so shitty. It really discouraged me. I would get upset and go back to drawing what I already knew but that was boring to me. I was trapped between the frustration of something I didnt know how to do and the bore of repeating the things I always did. I figured the best thing to do was take a break.

It's been a few months now, and I still can't get myself to draw. It feels like a chore at this point. I don't have that passion that I used to have... I dont have any ideas anymore either, so I just dont enjoy it. I would normally consider this artblock, had the same thing not happened a few years back.. I used to write, and then I stopped- it just became tiresome to me. I haven't written in 6 years and the scary part is I don't want to go back to it. Back then, I also thought I would spend the rest of my life writing. I guess not.

Art is my life, my everything. I'm so scared to lose that.
    So, is this just artblock? And if so what can I do to get my will to draw back?

Sorry for the super long post. I really appreciate any answers. Thank you,

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    It's not art block, it is misplaced perfectionism, and procrastination resulting from fear of failure.

Stop beating yourself for not being good enough right now and start grinding. You get better by learning small things all the time. It does not matter if the result is not perfect; if it is better than the previous attempt or if you learned something, it is a success.

So if you are stumped with perspective, stop trying to do ambitious pieces for a while and focus on learning perspective on simple exercises.

Recommended reading: "Art and Fear" (haven't got a link at hand, google it.)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What do you want us to tell you? Art block happens everyone to some degree, the people who truly love art don't let that stop them. Maybe instead of pasting this thread to multiple forums using dummy accounts you should just go draw. If art was your life and your everything, you wouldn't be here whining you would be drawing and working through it.

Last edited by EleMont; November 16th, 2014 at 02:33 AM.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    thank you, I appreciate the advice. perfectionism has always kept me from a lot of things, plus I was always too ambitious.. I guess I never realized it though. now I know.
    that book looks very promising, ill get it at my earliest convienience

Thanks
    I'm sorry if my posts bothered you. You're right, I should do that. Thank you for the advice.

Thanks
    It's fine, I was in a bad mood yesterday, art block lol.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book