Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

hanshotfirst - Composition 1.1

I selected this piece by Frederick Leighton, because the pose and the silhouette really stood out for me. I had a lot of fun painting this. And just look at how pretty my painting is!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by brusebe4st; November 13th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Here's a portrait by Degas. notice the repetition he uses on the fabric and the simplification of the hair and the clothes contrasting with the the subtle concentrated detail of the face.

Here's the linework, doesn't quite look right. I didn't use a grid, so maybe I should have done so as it would have no doubt helped me not bugger it up.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; November 13th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    A great atmospheric painting by Ilya Repin. I chose this painting because I knew I would struggle with it, little did I know how long and painful that struggle would be.

Last edited by brusebe4st; November 13th, 2014 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    deleted deleted
    Last edited by brusebe4st; November 13th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    To be continued....
    Last edited by brusebe4st; November 13th, 2014 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Hi here's my next submission a painting by Hopper. I chose this painting in particular due to the simplicity to the shapes and I knew I wouldn't be overwhelmed by the details. Which has happened on some failed paintings.

First step.

Then refining, and color picking. ;/

Thanks
    Looking good so far. Your values are almost spot on, when I squint my eyes and view the pieces they look very close. The forms can be a little bit out of position though. Sometimes it helps me to do the old artist trick I'm sure you've seen. Hold a pencil (or stylus) up to the source, measure a distance with your finger, and transfer it over to your piece. It may not be perfectly exact, but it takes a bit of eyeballing and guesswork out of the equation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarecrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh thanks, yeah I've been actually measuring with my hands on the screen. But I think I should maybe use more lines on my grid as well. As for values, I have been using the eyedropper quite a bit so I need to stop that but it can be frustrating as I keep painting too light or dark otherwise.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; December 20th, 2014 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Don't like at all, removed!
    Last edited by brusebe4st; November 24th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    My next study a Frazetta piece, there is a lot of texture and energy in his brushwork which is hard to replicate in a copy, not to mention the detail, all in all a very difficult study. Anyway I'm going to start drawing 1.1 and give this thread a break then return later as I'm starting to lose a little enthusiasm for artist studys.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/TlK63EqsrTzlmc1nPuo" width="480" height="379" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    Last edited by brusebe4st; November 22nd, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Nice works, remember that failure is path to sucess and I fail to remmember that.
    I think you are doing a good job on the main composition of the painting, maybe you should take more time on each study and don't try to rush it.
    I'll see what you'll do next

BTW your signature from the Degas portrait is the best
    "Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself"
    Instagram -- Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

14. The Following User Says Thank You to motato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    You are doing great and making good progress so I hope you will keep them rolling. Technique is strong and because of that I am most curious to hear what you are seeing when you look at the compositions...what devices, methods, and abstract qualities you are finding. You are spending a lot of valuable time so it would be great to hear what you think.

Best,

JM

Thanks

A Rembrandt study, I'll upload the step by step tomorrow. This took me an age to finish, don't think I captured the volume of the eyes or nose very well. Rembrandt never puts a lot of details in his shadows really and it's hard to get that right I think mine looks a tad flat. Maybe I'm not pushing the values hard enough in certain areas.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; December 19th, 2014 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    I think you captured the eyes and nose quite accurately actually. I'd say only the shoulders and ear are off. Liquify tool could fix that in a minute.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A Bougeureau study, it took a long time to finish. I feel like I need to simplify things and just stick to one brush and have a more expressive approach with less nitpicking and perfecting things.

Ground Rules for my next study,

One layer, big brush strokes that suggest the piece rather than this obsession with the details. Also spend less time on it, because this took too long.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; December 22nd, 2014 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    You certanly are getting better and better.
    For this kind of excersices I use only one layer it makes it feel like painting oils.
    Cheers!!
    Instagram -- Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

21. The Following User Says Thank You to motato For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    It didn't actually take an hour, I just used that as a limit after a few hours as i felt I was taking too long. After erasing my note, my painting looked worse so I kept it to aid the composition lol. I tried to focus on soft edge hard edge as well as the planes of the face. For the soft transitions I would air-brush it and then paint over it with an angled (almost vertical) brush. All my refinements were done on one layer and If I needed smooth graidents or transitions for an area I would use the lassoo tool and then work within the lassoo to keep it clean and without the use of masks and countless layers. I was actually quite happy with how this one turned out.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; December 29th, 2014 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    I can see great improvement, and I like the use of your brush for the texture of the clothing. The fur of the dog ended fucking great
    So... How much are you dedicating on each piece?
    A critic could be to be more mindful on the proportion of the head, yes it's a hell but it's worth it.

Cheers!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to motato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Motato the sketch and blocking in took under one hour, the refining took way over 3 hours but I procrastinate a lot. The brush is just a rectangle on a slight angle, I really like it it gives some really crisp organic edges.

The head is definitely too fat, I had noticed that but just didn't bother changing it lol.

Thanks
    Hey, beautiful work on that last one. Your values are very accurate now, and I like the looser brushwork.

Something you could watch out for is I think sometimes you place an innacurate shape and then continue placing details based on that shape. For example the last one she looks realistic and well rendered, but her face is overall a lot wider than the reference. In your Bougereau the little girl on the right is also stretched horizontally slightly. These problems are easy to fix but you have to keep an eye out for them.

Good luck, this thread is really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, beautiful work on that last one. Your values are very accurate now, and I like the looser brushwork.

Something you could watch out for is I think sometimes you place an innacurate shape and then continue placing details based on that shape. For example the last one she looks realistic and well rendered, but her face is overall a lot wider than the reference. In your Bougereau the little girl on the right is also stretched horizontally slightly. These problems are easy to fix but you have to keep an eye out for them.

Good luck, this thread is really nice.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to RebeccaHartstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Rebecca for your input.

Here's my next composition another Sargent painting.

With this particular piece, I tired to look at the planes of the face, hard not to get overwhelmed by all the texture on his his beard and stuff. His left eyelid is just three different planes, I like his expression it has an Edgar Allen Poe feel too it.

Last edited by brusebe4st; January 1st, 2015 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks
    I like this last one very much indeed, I really like how you rendered the head and you captured the values quite accurately. You just have a few issues with the shapes, the head being too wide, the chest too narrow and the whole figure being placed a bit too much to the left. You know what you could do? When you start on a portrait like this, block in a rough silhouette of the figure with solid black, and try to nail, for example, the distances between the edges of the figure and the lateral edges of the painting as closely as you can. That way you won't discover, later on, that you've spent lots of time rendering it but placed it too far to one side. It might make it easier to get the shape sizes right too Looking forward to more of your stuff ^^

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Lenia, yeah I think I will go back to using a grid because clearly I am screwing up a bit here proportionally.

Thanks
    I really like your Sargent Study bro! I agree that the brow line does look a bit wider than the original, but hell if I didn't see someone comment on it, I would've blessed off on it. Keep up the good work!

I see that you put a lot of detail into your studies, some I saw you did in a few hours? Did you limit yourself on the Sargent?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to CoryHarkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Had a lot of fun with this Sam Nielson study, but it took way too long.

My initial sketch looked accurate, but I took Lenia's advice and checked my sketch's shapes and it was a little off.

So here's my sketch and the final silhouette I ended up with. Some of my shadows and rendering is a little muddy that's due to lacking concentration, and just painting what I see rather than consciously thinking about the light source and how I could portray it as accurately as possible (whilst staying true to the piece). There seems to be a sharp spotlight on both characters, so you get these sharp shadows and a lot of reflected light bouncing of the surface of the arena.

I like how he uses sharp edges for the highlights and his use of negative space with two contrasting poses/characters creates a really dynamic composition that is appealing to look at.

Everything has so much character it reminds me of that Day of the Tentacle point and click adventure game.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; January 2nd, 2015 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    For my last ten studys, I'm going to focus on speed rather than accuracy and see what I can do in the time allotted (1 hour 30 mins). My last study took 6 + hours... It forces me to make design choices with this study. I couldn't get all the texture and values down so I accentuated the verticals with straight brush strokes and I tried to keep some areas clean and readable rather than 100 percent accurate.

The woman's head is way too big I was painting in such tiny dimensions it was hard to draw so small with detail! But I feel like I captured the mood of the painting...

Last edited by brusebe4st; January 2nd, 2015 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Nice, values are almost spot on. The sharp highlight tell a lot about texture and shape. They are a little fuzzy in your painting. But I understand. These masterstudies do take a lot of time.

Btw, i see you choose hopper. there is a nice program about the style of hopper. Might be interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9o5BYggMxc

39. The Following User Says Thank You to HawVie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Hawvie, yeah the wall texture is blurry on the left, should have used sharper contrast there and been more aware of the flow settings on my brush. That show was good, I've never really painted properly only on this photoshop haha.
    Last edited by brusebe4st; January 3rd, 2015 at 09:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast