What to do?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What to do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What to do?

Okay... so I'm new. I found this forum on my quest to justify to myself that I had a realistic goal to have a career in art somehow. Anyway, I have gotten this feeling that if I wish to attain this goal, I have to start early. I am currently working towards a BFA at UC Santa Cruz, but there are no classes in anything computer related, short of web design. Help! I don't know if I should be trying to take outside classes, or change schools or wait until grad school... any advice would be most helpful!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I'd be qualified to give an in-depth answer, but assuming you want to have a career in art, you should know that the most important part is having a good foundation in the traditional aspects of art. I don't mean you have to know how to paint or use a variety of mediums, since it sounds like you want to do something more computer oriented, like graphic design maybe? But the biggest part is knowing things like composition, value, form and such, after that learning a medium(or a program) should be easy. I guess I'm saying you shouldn't even need to take a computer class to learn how to use something like Photoshop once you're learned how to draw.

Are you majoring in art? That part could obviously be a little more difficult, and there are definetly some benefits from being taught, though even that could be something you could learn on your own if you put enough effort into it; many excellent artists on this site never even went to college.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Cyrus; August 29th, 2004 at 06:33 PM.
    "The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." -C.S. Lewis
    "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." -Proverbs 12:1

Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section!
    -Cyrus' Sketchbook-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am majoring in art, and actually wish to be a concept artist in some capacity. I am also minoring (perhaps going to be majoring soon) in Japanese language studies. I just don't know what skills I truly need, simply because UCSC does not focus on anything but traditional art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work your traditionnal skill the more you can Basic is the same everywhere, learning a program is fast, very fast if you can draw/paint traditionally. Don't forget that

If you want to go the concept way, you can read design book, watch movie, look at machinery, read some mechanical book... So you got idea to draw. It's really nothing more here, learn to draw and choose what to draw - most top notch artist here are traditionnal artist.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.