Thanks

A Creativity Block

I know that everyone had a creative block once, but with me, this time is slightly different.
    I have ideas, but everything I try, I end up doing 10 seconds sketch and writing my signature, actually, not writing, rather drawing and for 10 minutes...
    I have four or five projects on my head, very very good ideas but I can't make my self to do anything.
    I would rather be eager to create without having idea than this.
    Did happened to you? How often? How long does it last? How to resolve it?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I have a lot of ideas, but I'm too afraid to put them on (digi)paper. I think I have a lot of insecurity about my skill, and what I can do without a guide... So, I just end up doing studies, instead.

I don't really have any advice for you. It's easy to say 'just do it', but it's not so easy to follow the advice.

Maybe start with a warm-up of gestures from www.posemaniacs.com or www.quickposes.com ? Once you're all warmed up, maybe you'll be more confident about getting out your ideas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It sounds like you're in the wrong headspace because you're distracted or impatient. Is there something on your mind that's
    taking too much of your attention? It might be there's something you need to make a decision about. You might also try meditation or exercise.
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you very much, especially for links, but yes, you are right!
    I am ready and eager now.
    I hope I will not be too disappointed...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wook-stwoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstrider View Post
    It sounds like you're in the wrong headspace because you're distracted or impatient. Is there something on your mind that's
    taking too much of your attention? It might be there's something you need to make a decision about. You might also try meditation or exercise.
    There is something I need to make decision about, yes, and too much of other things taking my attention.

Thanks
    Stop worrying about messing up. It's better to mess up your idea and at least have something to work with later than it is to never start because you're afraid. Just get things going and use the imperfect results to help you do it right later.

Thanks
    Thank you guys, I started with developing of one of ideas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wook-stwoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It may depend on what you are painting. If it is something you aren't very with you may not have the visual library to pull it off and need to get some reference, or do some studies.

It could help to spend some time in your comfort zone and just draw for fun for a while. I think everyone has a bit of a comfort zone that is particular to that person. For some people it is women with swords, or creatures, or whatever you enjoy drawing.

One thing that Bill Burr said in an interview about writing for comedy that always stuck with me was that when he first started writing he was lazy, just doing a couple of hours a day. One day he noticed some construction workers coming back from lunch on a Friday afternoon, and thought if they can go back to work after dinner doing something like construction then so can I. Sometimes you just have to sit there and do the next indicated action until you have done what you set out to do.

Thanks
    When I have a block I just doodle like crazy.. it will improve your line,general drawing skills and make a lot of accidental discoveries.

Thanks
    Hurman, I don't like to draw my mother (women with swords...)
    So far female body works fine
    Gibier, I sometimes write my signature instead

Thanks
    I remember myself having a creativity block, as I tend to ragequit drawing once I fail to draw something properly. Then I started to get over it by drawing a poor quality doodoo-doodle in my notebook, then redrawing it in better quality on proper A4 paper.