another couple of newbie questions...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: another couple of newbie questions...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another couple of newbie questions...

hellow everybody,

I'm kinda new to digital painting so I've got a couple of questions...
    - How come in Painter 8 when I put a low opacity setting for my brush the harder I push on my brush the lighter it goes? it's like when I push hard, then the brush reaches it's opacity setting. But when I push less hard then it kinda starts from 100percent opacity...I want it to be like photoshop brushes, where everything starts at 0 percent Opacity (when you aren't pushing hard on the pen) and ends at the desired Opacity setting (Pushing the hardest you can).
    -when I use some brushes (i.e. the oils section) and draw a line then the color start with white and changes to the color I wanted. I know you have a smearing option on some brushes but isn't that to smear the colors together that are already on the canvas? I want my brush to start with the color I chose (with or without smearing of colors that are on the canvas), and end with the same color...
    -I've been looking at some works of Craig Mullins and Sparth....does anybody have a clue of which brushes they use? There are a LOT of brushes in painter and sometimes I get lost a little bit....lol
    -are there other things I should know about the workflow in Painter or is it just setting op the canvas and paint the hell out of it...

I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me with some of my beginner questions....

thanks in advance, -Francis-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by foane
    hellow everybody,

I'm kinda new to digital painting so I've got a couple of questions...
    - How come in Painter 8 when I put a low opacity setting for my brush the harder I push on my brush the lighter it goes? it's like when I push hard, then the brush reaches it's opacity setting. But when I push less hard then it kinda starts from 100percent opacity...
    Without knowing which of the over 400 brush variants you're talking about, it's impossible to know what the answer is. It could be that the Pressure Expression is set to Invert (is inverted) or it could be that you've made some setting adjustment without remembering having done it or what the adjustment was.

I want it to be like photoshop brushes, where everything starts at 0 percent Opacity (when you aren't pushing hard on the pen) and ends at the desired Opacity setting (Pushing the hardest you can).
    Save yourself and everyone else a lot of grief. Get over wanting Painter brushes to be like Photoshop brushes. Painter's brush technology is much more advanced and complex and ... Painter is not Photoshop. Painter will allow you to do things that can't be done in Photoshop and vice-versa. Just spend the needed time to learn Painter and you'll be far better off in the long run, able to use each of the two programs for what it does best.

-when I use some brushes (i.e. the oils section) and draw a line then the color start with white and changes to the color I wanted. I know you have a smearing option on some brushes but isn't that to smear the colors together that are already on the canvas?
    Painter brush variants that have blending and smearing characteristics will pick up and blend existing color on the Canvas, including the Canvas color or whatever color was used to Fill the Canvas, and existing color on a Layer. If you paint on transparent areas of a Layer with a variant that has blending or smearing characteristics, you'll see white at the beginning of the brushstroke and around it's edges. This white can be hidden by changing the Layer's Composite Method to Gel or Multiply but that will make the Layer's brushstrokes transparent and affect the appearance of underlying colors.

I want my brush to start with the color I chose (with or without smearing of colors that are on the canvas), and end with the same color...
    If you're using a brush variant that has blending or smearing characteristics, you can open the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Well section and move the Resaturation slider to 100%. This will remove the blending and smearing characteristics, however.

-I've been looking at some works of Craig Mullins and Sparth....does anybody have a clue of which brushes they use? There are a LOT of brushes in painter and sometimes I get lost a little bit....lol
    -are there other things I should know about the workflow in Painter or is it just setting op the canvas and paint the hell out of it...

I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me with some of my beginner questions....

thanks in advance, -Francis-

1. Read the Sticky thread named: "Keeping Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8 Running Smoothly"

2. Read the Painter User Guide, at least thoroughly enough to get an idea of where information is located in the Chapters, then refer to the User Guide first when you have questions. You'll find that the User Guide doesn't answer everything, but it contains loads of useful information and reading it will help you narrow down your questions to specifics.

3. Read the Visual Guides written by Painter Developer John Derry, available on the Corel site via Painter 8 Help > Tutorials.

4. If you're using Painter 7, download John Derry's Visual Guides for Water Colors, Liquid Ink, and Keystroke Shortcuts on my PixelAlley site (URL below my signature).

5. Open a large white Canvas and test each brush variant in each brush category, from the top of the list to the bottom of the list. Make notes when you find something you like. Make notes if you change any brush settings, indicating what the changes were, the brush category name, and the brush variant name.

6. KEEP YOUR NOTES!

7. When you have questions, always include enough information to allow someone to answer the question(s):

a.) Your Painter version number, including the patch/update number if one has been installed.

b.) Your platform, OS version number, and other system specs.

c.) The exact name of the brush category and brush variant you're using.

d.) A description of your image, including how many Layers, what kinds of Layers, Text, etc.

e.) Any other details you think might be helpful.

8. Work the tutorials provided with your Painter version. If your Painter version is older and there are no longer tutorials available on the Corel site, though there may be some either installed with your Painter version or available on the second CD. You'll find some on the Wacom site and on other sites, including many on my PixelAlley site.

9. Register at TutorAlley Forums, PixelAlley's sister site. Both sites are Painter focused and there's a wealth of information at TutorAlley Forums that is not available at PixelAlley, specifically more information on Painter 8.

10. Download and install the Painter 8.1 patch and the updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF available at:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1

11. In the updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF, click the Contents tab, click The Workspace, then read the two sections named:

Customizing Palettes
    Creating Custom Palettes

12. To prevent problems when you Uninstall Painter 8, reinstall Painter 8, and install the Painter 8.1 patch, follow all of these steps, exactly:

Close Painter 8 and other programs.

Move any files you created into a new backup folder outside of the Painter 8 folders.

Uninstall Painter 8.

Manually delete any remaining Painter 8 folders and files.

Reboot.

Install Painter 8. If you're going to install the Painter 8.1 patch, don't open Painter 8 even one time.

Install the Painter 8.1 patch.

Reboot.

Launch Painter 8.1 (the updated version number with the Painter 8.1 patch installed).

13. Read as many of the threads in this forum as you can reasonably be expected to digest or at least to understand a little, beginning with the most recent ones and going back a couple of pages of threads.

14. Use the Search function to search information in this forum.

15. Even if you learn what Craig Mullins and Sparth, and many other artists use, don't allow yourself to be limited by that information. Learn what works for you. It'll take time and experimentation and it'll be worth the effort and time. Otherwise, you'll be cheating yourself out of what could be a great adventure with many wonderful discoveries that can make all the difference in your work.

Don't forget to PLAY!

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Jin, that's all (and even more) I wanted to know. you're right about the discovery voyage of painter...I just wanted some shortcuts to start with...

sincerely, -Francis-

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.