Art: The Way of Coloring through Painter 8?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

The Way of Coloring through Painter 8?

Right. I've been on this site a few times, used to post on the forums before summer, and have returned. Not that anyone remembers me, 'course.

What I have made this thread for is for this purpose: To ask if anyone could direct me, or help me, in the way of coloring using Painter 8. Direct me to a tutorial, help me here, either will suffice. however, since I am not of the age of 18 I cannot go to any pay sites for art tutorials, so please dont send me any tuts to there.

What I really need help for is how to use all the tools I have been given and how to implement them in a painting. What do I do? I am completely clueless. I have seen tuts, but most of them are really only helpful for someone who understands ANYTHING that is being said by the author. What is a palette knife good for, in what situation? What kind of brush is preferable if I try to do a piece like most other concept artists?

I have no idea what to do, how to do anything, and help would be very greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am in no way a master of painter 8, but here are a few things that I have picked up.

It helps if you have experience in the real world witht he tools that painter mocks. Such as with an oil or acrylic painting, once a decent amount of paint is on the canvas a palette knife spreads it thin and adds an interesting flat texture that you cannot get with a brush.

If you are anything like me, when I started with Painter I was overwelmed by the vast majority of tools that were available and I got very frustrated quickly trying to find the best one to use. This quickly turned me off to painter, so I would suggest focusing on one group of tools and trying to achieve your goals with them, then experament with others.

I highly recommend Robert Chang's site, this is the stuff that changed my mind toward Painter. He explains some of the most important features, and download his brush set. The brushes in his set are enough to get you started making work you actually like making. Pay close attention to his tuts on resat levels and blending, this is what seperates Painter from Photoshop, and why it is a godsend.

Above all else, keep at it, the program rocks and you can do some amazing stuff with it.

Thanks
    Right, I forgot to add the link to Robert Chang's site,

www.ethereality.info/

Thanks
    Go to this site and click on the blue links on the left hand side:

http://www.computer-training-software.com/painter-8.htm

These are free lessons on the basics of using Painter. They should get you started.

After you get acquainted to the Painter 8 handling, you can get more free lessons on different topics for earlier Painter versions. They are also useful, but you need to be able to transpost the command structure due to change in Painter interface:

http://www.computer-training-softwar...inter7-tec.htm
    http://www.computer-training-software.com/paint6tec.htm

Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanks for your help, guys! These sites look really helpful. thanks again.

Thanks
    What I like about Painter is the fact that it does what it says...
    The calligfaphy pens work like Calligraphy pens
    pencils like pencils
    Pastel like pastel
    Aquarel as aquarel....
    you get the idea

Maybe you can follow some art courses nearby, getting some on hand experience with what those tools really do in real life will help you a lot when faced with the vast possibilities that Painter offers. (Besides the fact that it'll probably be lots of fun too).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.