Allocating RAM for P7?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question Allocating RAM for P7?

I'm experiencing sluggish brushes and did a Google search for fixes, and also checked this forum. I read somewhere about allocating RAM for P7 using a Mac, but is it possible to allocate RAM in W2K?

My system is old:
    Dual PII 350MHz
    512MB RAM
    9GB SCSI & 18GB SCSI hard drives
    GeForce2 MX400 graphics card

I defrag once or twice a week, make sure to change all my graphics programs scratch disks to the D: drive, and work in small resolutions is P7 (800x600, 72dpi) and I still get sluggish brush control. Everything else works fine. any ideas? I already tried all the suggestions in other threads in this forum...

Thanks in advance,
    Bad Mange

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Jin?

anybody?

Thanks
    Hi,

I don't recall all of the suggestions made in other threads, so I'll give you a list of the main things I can think of:

In Edit > Preferences > Windows, check Maximum Memory for Painter.

Every hour or so, save your file and shut down Painter, then in the Painter 7 > Brushes folder, delete the file named "Pre-built Brush File". It will be regerated the next time Painter is opened. It grows especially large, and fast, when using some of the more complex brushes like Impasto, for instance.

In any case, check the size of this file each time you end a Painter session (after a Painter session) and if it's large, delete it.

Work with smaller brush sizes as larger sizes make painting sluggish for most users, even with more powerful systems.

In the Brush Controls palette's Size section, adjust the Feature slider to the right. This decreases bristle density and speeds up rendering of the brushstrokes.

Make sure your Scripts file doesn't become too large by lowering the Auto Save Scripts for [ ] days number from the maximum of 10 days. If it's very large, you can delete it and it will be regenerated the next time Painter is opened. Before doing that, though, if you have any special Scripts, use the Script mover to create a new Scripts library, give it a unique name, and move your special Scripts icons into it.

Clear out browser cache and temp files regularly, even several times a day if you're on the Internet a lot.

Keep running ScanDisk and Defrag as you already are.

Close other programs while working in Painter.

Hope this helps,

If you have Undo set to the maximum of 32, lower that number too, as it also uses up memory.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks

Unhappy

Thanks for your reply, Jin. I've already tried those other things, and here's the default settings for Edit>Pref>Windows:

Physical Memory Useage: maximum
    Printing Options: both options checked
    Display Option: unchecked
    MMX Option: checked

The painting is still excruciatingly slow, but the drawing tools work great. Are there any settings I should change for my video card?

Guess my machine is showing it's age. 350MHz processesors and 512MB of PC100 memory can get you only so far...

-Bad Mange

Thanks
    Hi again,

My knowledge is limited when it comes to some of these more technical system questions, memory, etc. so you might want to post your question to the following (with all of the details you can think of including your system specs, Painter version (including upgrade/patch):

Painter list at Topica.com
    http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

Corel Painter Support Newsgroup
    Add Server: cnews.corel.ca
    Subscribe to: corel.graphic_apps.painter

and...

alt.fractal-design.painter

Good luck,

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.