What The...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What The...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What The...

I cant get passed the brushes loading in Painter 7, and then it "performs an illegal operation", freezing my computer. Could it be because im running it on a 300 mhz? Painter Classic runs fine. Somebody help, please?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Details?

Hi,

Painter 7 is very processor and memory intensive. I have a Pentium III, 500 mHz, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive with about 8 GB free, and have to continually do system maintenance and other things to keep Painter 7 running smoothly. Even then, some of the more complex brushes (i.e., Water Colors, Liquid Ink, and Impasto) will eat up memory fast (stored in the Pre-built Brush File) and slow down Painter's performance. I often need to save my file, shut down Painter, and delete the Pre-built Brush File in order to get Painter running better again.

Is your Painter 7 brand new? In other words, have you ever been able to run it? If so, it might help if you can tell us:

What have you been able to do with it, what brushes were used, how large were your images, how long did you work before saving and shutting down Painter 7, etc.?

How many Undo's do you have Painter 7 set to remember? The maximum allowed is 32 and this takes up a lot of memory.

How many days to you have Auto Save Scripts set for? The maximum is 10 days and this also takes up a lot of memory.

Do you ever check the Pre-built Brush File's size after a Painter session, then delete it if it's large? It's OK to do this because this file is used to store brush information to speed up brush loading. If it's deleted after a Painter session, it's regenerated the next time Painter is opened.

It might also be good to post your question to some other Painter newsgroups and e-mail lists as there may be more people there who have experience with a system similar to yours. Be sure to include complete system specs, Painter version (including the Painter 7 Update if you've installed it or if it was already part of your software.. the Update version is 7.1.357). Include all of the details leading up to the problem.

Other places to post your question:

Painter list at Topica.com
    http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

Corel Painter Support Newsgroup
    Add Server: cnews.corel.ca
    Subscribe to: corel.graphic_apps.painter

and...

alt.fractal-design.painter

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that itself was very helpful, thank you. Sorry i failed to mention, but i have just gotten it, tried to load it for the first time, but to no avail. Ive re-installed, but still the same thing. Im thinking a 300 mhz is just too slow for it... Anyone?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.