Art: Color Theory Books?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Color Theory Books?

Hi everyone. I've read a few threads on here about color theory and want to dive deeper into it. I don't necessarily have time or funds to take a decent class at the moment. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a good book or books that are good for learning moe about color theory. I am a good illustrator but have always worked in B&W Lineart and have a lot to learn about how to properly use color.

I am looking for something really straight forward with lots of examples and such. I don't want a 300 page book of mostly text. I would rather have something that explains a theory and maybe shows in in practice.

Thanks in advance.

-feeesh

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well its not really a theory book, but its taught me a lot about general color theory, its called "Creative Color for the Oil Painter" by Wendon Blake.. actually i dont think thats the exact title but if you look up wendon blake and include creative color in your search you should find it. its out of print though, so you might be able to find it at the library, or else find a cheap used copy.. its a dover book i think, so it aint gonna be expensive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I highly recommend 'Color Choice: Making Color Sense out of Color Theory', by Stephen Quiller.

It's very easy to follow, has many examples and leaves you with lots to think about after only a short read.

The author has even gone to the trouble of listing the paint manufacturers names for each colour on his colour wheel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Loomis has a chapter on color that is pretty neat in "Creative Illustration". You dont even have to buy it, you can download it for free here!

http://www.fineart.sk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, that's great, thanks for the advice. I will go check out the books, theres a Green Apple Bookstore that has a pretty good selection of old used and out of print books so Ill see if they have that Wendon Blake book. And also the QUiller book.

Thanks for that Loomis link as well. I printed out the color section from that book. ITs a great book as a whole, too bad his books are so expensive to pick up nowadays in rare bookstores and Ebay ad such.

-feeesh

Members who have read this thread: 1