Thread: why style?

Thanks

why style?

why should i have a style? it's needless to have one. why should we become statically? "art must be free because where it is not there can be no creativity"
    bruce lee once said and i think he is right. all artist out of the modern art try to tell us this. for example picasso. he tried to find a way to draw even without rules! so it must be possible to set down your "style feeling". betty edwards showed us that there is a way to set down your symbols out of your childhood so why not your style?art is not static it can take any forms and styles so why just have one style you always repaet instead of having millions of them? it is possible! so tell me why should i have a style?

sorry for the bad english

nik
    art is live because live is an art

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the stranger
    why should i have a style? it's needless to have one. why should we become statically? "art must be free because where it is not there can be no creativity"
    art is "statically" when there is a LACK of style! It does get rather boring when everyone is imitating what other artists are doing

You should have your OWN style, makes you unique and stand out

Thanks
    Style isnt something people usually try to develop. I think it comes about because of our practices, influences and the fact that we cover up our mistakes and aspects of us/our work that we dislike.

Thanks
    @denart
    yes but yourself become static and sometimes it gets bored. it would be even more thrilling if you do not have one! it is static!

@schlo-mo
    yes but like betty edwards say we can set our symbols down!

nik

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I'm lost here. I always thought that your style was the unique and individual mark you make with your work. How is it unoriginal when it belongs to you and no one else? If your style is static then it's not there to begin with. When you have no style you you produce what's already been done. It's not new. It's not yours. Picasso had his own style (cubism) as did Bruce Lee (Jeet Kun Do). These styles were concieved when they chose to deviate from the norm. And who says your style has to stay the same? Why can't it evolve and improve in order to be more suited to fit the artist's needs?

Thanks
    it's not about you! it's about the artwork that becomes produced! that it is yours can be seen in your signatur

nik

Thanks
    what's up guys?
    nobody could give me an answer why to have a style!

nik

Thanks
    well, the sad thing is: you dont get to choose whether you have a style or not. you just have it.

you see whether this one pencil drawing is by android jones or kev llewellyn - peoples' minds work differently, their perception differs, their whole thinking is completely unalike each other - and so are their native approaches to producing art. its like your handwriting. it isnt even your second nature, it IS YOUR NATURE.
    and you see it shine through more or less no matter what you do: copying from a reference shot, drawing from a life model, making vectorized stuff, drawing simplified charakters, doing ubersimplified charakters, doing manga or doing a jack-kirby-tribute artwork. style is not how you choose to draw a nose or a face or distort proportion, style is your personal nature in your drawing.

i agree that the whole process of thinking about a style is useless - because it is based on a wrong conception of style.
    the way you write about style makes me think that probably you mean just this about style: it is how you choose to depict stuff: making noses overly red, making all weapons ridicolously huge, taking care that the outline always flows in muchaesque curves, drawing eyes as they do in manga or rather pursuing accurate rendering of volume.
    this is not style. this is an aesthetic preference (this is a similar thing as the preference of tools also influences the outcome of the artwork). an aesthetic preference that you will put to paper/canvas/file with your style, whether you like it or not.

Thanks
    ok i understand. thanks for the posts guys!sorry but i'm just 14 and there are so many questions about art in my head.

nik

Thanks
    Nice explanation Gek, =o]

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    im in agreement...style is something that happens as you grow in your art. i do not believe it can be forced...it comes out of you own tastes and pleasures and strengths, and weaknesses in your work.

people suggest one style because your work will be easily known as your work. however if you rip your style from a contemporary then you never get seen as your own artist but only as an artist who isnt as good as so and so.

multiple styles is fine if you are doing fine art for yourself. multiple styles is fine if you find a wide variety of work. if you are trying to have your work recognized then working a hundred different ways will only get in the way of that happening.

most...just end up working a certain way. getting out of that way of working can often frusterate them or be difficult. it always is...learning new things is not always easy.

j